Using head.hackage

Alejandro Serrano Mena
Dear GHC devs,
As part of our work in "quick look impredicativity", we would like to test whether any package breaks. I've read about "head.hackage" as a way to test this fact, but I could not find any information.

Could somebody point me in the right direction? If it does not exist yet, I'll try to summarize whatever I learn in the wiki for future reference.

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

Re: Using head.hackage

Jan van Brügge
Hi Alejandro,
I don't know if this helps, but you can find some documentation in the repo: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/head.hackage#how-to-use
Cheers,
Jan

Am 10. September 2019 09:55:27 MESZ schrieb Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]>:
Dear GHC devs,
As part of our work in "quick look impredicativity", we would like to test whether any package breaks. I've read about "head.hackage" as a way to test this fact, but I could not find any information.

Could somebody point me in the right direction? If it does not exist yet, I'll try to summarize whatever I learn in the wiki for future reference.

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

Re: Using head.hackage

Ben Gamari-2
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear GHC devs,
> As part of our work in "quick look impredicativity", we would like to test
> whether any package breaks. I've read about "head.hackage" as a way to test
> this fact, but I could not find any information.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction? If it does not exist yet,
> I'll try to summarize whatever I learn in the wiki for future reference.

Hi Alejandro,

Indeed I have a pair of yet-to-be-published blog posts intended to
discuss exactly this. See [1] and [2]. Do let me know if you have any
questions.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/16/diffs
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/29/diffs

Re: Using head.hackage

Alejandro Serrano Mena
The instructions are quite clear. Alas, when I try to reproduce the steps using my home-build compiler (for which I mean set the `with-compiler` in `cabal.project` to the stage2 compiler obtained by Hadrian), I get:

> cabal new-install --lib aeson
Distribution/Client/CmdInstall.hs:(361,18)-(363,72): Non-exhaustive patterns in lambda

Do you have any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

El mar., 10 sept. 2019 a las 12:32, Ben Gamari (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear GHC devs,
> As part of our work in "quick look impredicativity", we would like to test
> whether any package breaks. I've read about "head.hackage" as a way to test
> this fact, but I could not find any information.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction? If it does not exist yet,
> I'll try to summarize whatever I learn in the wiki for future reference.

Hi Alejandro,

Indeed I have a pair of yet-to-be-published blog posts intended to
discuss exactly this. See [1] and [2]. Do let me know if you have any
questions.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/16/diffs
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/29/diffs

Re: Using head.hackage

Alejandro Serrano Mena
Note that this only happens with `aeson`, which is the package that the tutorial asks to add to `extra-packages` in 'cabal.project'.

El mar., 10 sept. 2019 a las 19:17, Alejandro Serrano Mena (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
The instructions are quite clear. Alas, when I try to reproduce the steps using my home-build compiler (for which I mean set the `with-compiler` in `cabal.project` to the stage2 compiler obtained by Hadrian), I get:

> cabal new-install --lib aeson
Distribution/Client/CmdInstall.hs:(361,18)-(363,72): Non-exhaustive patterns in lambda

Do you have any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro

El mar., 10 sept. 2019 a las 12:32, Ben Gamari (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear GHC devs,
> As part of our work in "quick look impredicativity", we would like to test
> whether any package breaks. I've read about "head.hackage" as a way to test
> this fact, but I could not find any information.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction? If it does not exist yet,
> I'll try to summarize whatever I learn in the wiki for future reference.

Hi Alejandro,

Indeed I have a pair of yet-to-be-published blog posts intended to
discuss exactly this. See [1] and [2]. Do let me know if you have any
questions.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/16/diffs
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/merge_requests/29/diffs

Re: Using head.hackage

Ben Gamari-3
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> The instructions are quite clear. Alas, when I try to reproduce the steps
> using my home-build compiler (for which I mean set the `with-compiler` in
> `cabal.project` to the stage2 compiler obtained by Hadrian), I get:
>
>> cabal new-install --lib aeson
> Distribution/Client/CmdInstall.hs:(361,18)-(363,72): Non-exhaustive
> patterns in lambda

Interesting, this sounds like a cabal-install bug. What does
cabal-install --version say?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Using head.hackage

Alejandro Serrano Mena

El mié., 11 sept. 2019 a las 14:55, Ben Gamari (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> The instructions are quite clear. Alas, when I try to reproduce the steps
> using my home-build compiler (for which I mean set the `with-compiler` in
> `cabal.project` to the stage2 compiler obtained by Hadrian), I get:
>
>> cabal new-install --lib aeson
> Distribution/Client/CmdInstall.hs:(361,18)-(363,72): Non-exhaustive
> patterns in lambda

Interesting, this sounds like a cabal-install bug. What does
cabal-install --version say?

Here is the output:

$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 3.0.0.0
compiled using version 3.0.0.0 of the Cabal library

Regards,
Alejandro

Re: Using head.hackage

Ben Gamari-3
Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:

> El mié., 11 sept. 2019 a las 14:55, Ben Gamari (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
>> Alejandro Serrano Mena <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > The instructions are quite clear. Alas, when I try to reproduce the steps
>> > using my home-build compiler (for which I mean set the `with-compiler` in
>> > `cabal.project` to the stage2 compiler obtained by Hadrian), I get:

>> > Distribution/Client/CmdInstall.hs:(361,18)-(363,72): Non-exhaustive
>> > patterns in lambda
>> >
>> Interesting, this sounds like a cabal-install bug. What does
>> cabal-install --version say?
>>

> Here is the output:
>
> $ cabal --version
> cabal-install version 3.0.0.0
> compiled using version 3.0.0.0 of the Cabal library

Alright, I'm afraid I don't really know what might be going wrong here.
Perhaps `cabal new-install --lib lib:aeson` will help? Either way, can
you open a cabal-install ticket [1] for this?

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues