Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Alexander Genaud
Years ago, I set my girlfriend up with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and xmonad (0.8 or
0.9 maybe). With minor tweaks, mod4Mask, etc, it just worked for years.

This weekend, I tried to set up Linux Mint Mate, then Cinnamon, then
Xubuntu (Xfce) with xmonad-0.11, each with their own unique issues. Xubuntu
was most promising, but just doesn't work very well (panel disappears, or
meta-key is intercepted such that Win-1 or Win-Shift-Return are typed into
the highlighted app or ignored). I am reading a hodge-podge of different
config tutorials focusing on an assortment of versions. I have not come
across an installation/config wiki page that seemed relevant and up to date.

I'm willing to install just about any distribution (not Arch nor Gentoo)
and nearly any DE, but I'd like all the niceties of a stable (LTS-ish) DE
with graphical networking, application selection menus, panel,
notifications, but with the latest xmonad tile windowing. I like the idea
of Xfce because it's light weight and easy. Gnome2 fallback is fine too. I
expected Mate would 'just work'.

Is there a stable reference distro? Can someone point me to a tutorial from
late 2014 or 2015 for installing xmonad on a recently distro?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Michael Norrish
I?d also be very interested in hearing about what recent received wisdom is on this front.

Michael

> On 24 Feb 2015, at 4:05 pm, Alexander Genaud <alex at genaud.net> wrote:
>
> Years ago, I set my girlfriend up with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and xmonad (0.8 or 0.9 maybe). With minor tweaks, mod4Mask, etc, it just worked for years.
>
> This weekend, I tried to set up Linux Mint Mate, then Cinnamon, then Xubuntu (Xfce) with xmonad-0.11, each with their own unique issues. Xubuntu was most promising, but just doesn't work very well (panel disappears, or meta-key is intercepted such that Win-1 or Win-Shift-Return are typed into the highlighted app or ignored). I am reading a hodge-podge of different config tutorials focusing on an assortment of versions. I have not come across an installation/config wiki page that seemed relevant and up to date.
>
> I'm willing to install just about any distribution (not Arch nor Gentoo) and nearly any DE, but I'd like all the niceties of a stable (LTS-ish) DE with graphical networking, application selection menus, panel, notifications, but with the latest xmonad tile windowing. I like the idea of Xfce because it's light weight and easy. Gnome2 fallback is fine too. I expected Mate would 'just work'.
>
> Is there a stable reference distro? Can someone point me to a tutorial from late 2014 or 2015 for installing xmonad on a recently distro?

________________________________

Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Tamas Papp
Hi Alexander,

I am using Debian/unstable, and it works fine. Here is what I would
suggest:

1. Install xmonad using cabal, with all the flags. Install the -dev
libraries whenever it complains it is missing something and try again.

2. Start XFCE with the following .xsession file:

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

3. start

xmonad --replace

from XFCE (session/app autostart or something like this).

4. start xmobar from there also.

Hope this helps,

Tamas

On Tue, Feb 24 2015, Alexander Genaud <alex at genaud.net> wrote:

> Years ago, I set my girlfriend up with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and xmonad (0.8 or
> 0.9 maybe). With minor tweaks, mod4Mask, etc, it just worked for years.
>
> This weekend, I tried to set up Linux Mint Mate, then Cinnamon, then
> Xubuntu (Xfce) with xmonad-0.11, each with their own unique issues. Xubuntu
> was most promising, but just doesn't work very well (panel disappears, or
> meta-key is intercepted such that Win-1 or Win-Shift-Return are typed into
> the highlighted app or ignored). I am reading a hodge-podge of different
> config tutorials focusing on an assortment of versions. I have not come
> across an installation/config wiki page that seemed relevant and up to date.
>
> I'm willing to install just about any distribution (not Arch nor Gentoo)
> and nearly any DE, but I'd like all the niceties of a stable (LTS-ish) DE
> with graphical networking, application selection menus, panel,
> notifications, but with the latest xmonad tile windowing. I like the idea
> of Xfce because it's light weight and easy. Gnome2 fallback is fine too. I
> expected Mate would 'just work'.
>
> Is there a stable reference distro? Can someone point me to a tutorial from
> late 2014 or 2015 for installing xmonad on a recently distro?

Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Alexander Genaud <alex at genaud.net> wrote:

> This weekend, I tried to set up Linux Mint Mate

I'm curious what problems you ran into here. (Also, did you use xmonad from
darcs? There is XMonad.Config.Mate which clears up most of the
discrepancies between Gnome 2 and Mate, and which I am using with Mint's
Mate.) The only one I have noticed is needing to restart mate-panel due to
a timing bug which is fixed upstream but not yet released; but that is
unrelated to xmonad (it's triggered by VMware guest switching to full
resolution after the panel starts).

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Alain Bertrand
Le 2015?02?24? 07:55, Michael Norrish a ?crit :

> I?d also be very interested in hearing about what recent received wisdom is on this front.
>
> Michael
>
>> On 24 Feb 2015, at 4:05 pm, Alexander Genaud <alex at genaud.net> wrote:
>>
>> Years ago, I set my girlfriend up with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and xmonad (0.8 or 0.9 maybe). With minor tweaks, mod4Mask, etc, it just worked for years.
>>
>> This weekend, I tried to set up Linux Mint Mate, then Cinnamon, then Xubuntu (Xfce) with xmonad-0.11, each with their own unique issues. Xubuntu was most promising, but just doesn't work very well (panel disappears, or meta-key is intercepted such that Win-1 or Win-Shift-Return are typed into the highlighted app or ignored). I am reading a hodge-podge of different config tutorials focusing on an assortment of versions. I have not come across an installation/config wiki page that seemed relevant and up to date.
>>
>> I'm willing to install just about any distribution (not Arch nor Gentoo) and nearly any DE, but I'd like all the niceties of a stable (LTS-ish) DE with graphical networking, application selection menus, panel, notifications, but with the latest xmonad tile windowing. I like the idea of Xfce because it's light weight and easy. Gnome2 fallback is fine too. I expected Mate would 'just work'.
Hi,
Sorry, but could you describe exactly what are the problems you encountered?

I run xmonad on a linuxmint 17.1 box. I use xfce-4 panel which give me
access to all the joys of a clickodrome computer. I can start manually
both thunar and nemo if I want (which is only the case when I need to
mount a drive ; if someone could advise me how to do it easily on the
CLI, I would' be glad).

I run also xmonad on my debian stable laptop with fp panel or no panel
and I have no criticism to exprime.

Best regards,

Alain

Vanilla Xmonad distribution

Jack Hill
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015, Alain Bertrand wrote:

> (which is only the case when I need to mount a drive ; if someone could
> advise me how to do it easily on the CLI, I would' be glad).

I've been using bashmount <https://github.com/jamielinux/bashmount> for
this purpose.

Best,
Jack