Version of the pretty-printing library in GHC 7.10.1

Version of the pretty-printing library in GHC 7.10.1

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez-2
Hi,

While preparing Agda for supporting GHC 7.10.1, I found the following situation:

* In GHC 7.8.4, the version of the pretty library is 1.1.1.1.

* In GHC 7.10.1 RC1, the version of the pretty library is 1.1.1.3.

* I need to use conditional compilation when using GHC 7.10.1 RC1 because in the version 1.1.1.2 of the pretty library was added a new Eq instance which is currently defined in the Agda source code.

* I cannot use
​the ​
​​
Cabal macro
​ ​
MIN_VERSION_package_(A,B,C)
​ because this macro only supports three components (A, B, C) in the version number, and the change in the version of the pretty library was in the fourth component, i.e. 1.1.1.1 -> 1.1.1.2.

(I could use the symbol __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ instead, but I don't want to use this symbol for changes related to the libraries.)

Is going GHC 7.10.1 to be released with a version of the pretty library where I can use the MIN_VERSION_package_(A,B,C)
macro?

Best,

--
Andrés

Re: Version of the pretty-printing library in GHC 7.10.1

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, Andrés Sicard-Ramírez wrote:

> While preparing Agda for supporting GHC 7.10.1, I found the following situation:
>
> * In GHC 7.8.4, the version of the pretty library is 1.1.1.1.
>
> * In GHC 7.10.1 RC1, the version of the pretty library is 1.1.1.3.
>
> * I need to use conditional compilation when using GHC 7.10.1 RC1 because in the version 1.1.1.2 of the
> pretty library was added a new Eq instance which is currently defined in the Agda source code.

Adding an Eq instance is an addition to the API and requires to increment
version to 1.1.2 according to the PVP.

https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

Re: Version of the pretty-printing library in GHC 7.10.1

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez-2

On 9 January 2015 at 13:33, David Terei <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd suggest GHC move to pretty 1.1.2.0. I'll shoot an email about that
to see if we can get it changed.

​Thanks!​

--
Andrés