Website for viewing proposals

Matthew Pickering
Hi,

It would be useful if there was a canonical way to link and view GHC
proposals rather than relying on github's RST viewer.

Can we set up a website, `ghc.haskell.org/proposals`, which is
deployed to automatically when a new accepted proposal is merged?

FWIW, if the proposals process was also on gitlab then doing this
deployment would be easy using our CI infrastructure but I don't know
how to set up something similar on github.

Cheers,

Matt

RE: Website for viewing proposals

GHC - devs mailing list
Interesting.  How would it differ from what we have (i.e. github's RST viewer)?

I want to cite a GHC proposal but linking to github for it doesn't
seem very official or permanent.

Last year you also cited a proposal for your Haskell symposium paper
(https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03476) but instead linked to the pull
request which also doesn't seem ideal to me.

Matt

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Simon Peyton Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting.  How would it differ from what we have (i.e. github's RST viewer)?

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

I looked into getting doi’s for our accepted proposals, but it looked
harder than it should be.

Building a nice web page from our repository and publishing it on
GitHub pages, which can serve a custom domain like
ghc-proposals.haskell.org would not be hard. Matthew even started a
Makefile at some point that produces a reasonably nice output using
sphinx.

Maybe only reason why I am hesitant to do so is that there is a feature
creep risk:
We start with a webpage that shows accepted proposals,
soon we’ll add functionality to list pending proposals and their status
(why not? They are just a GitHub API call away),
then we start using this page to actually drive the proposals (surely
we can use this to tally the votes),
and then we end up with a system that no longer has the “you just need
to know GitHub to use it” property that made us build a Github-centric
process in the first place.

But maybe I am paranoid, and I should just set up the CI infrastructure
for Matthew’s sphinx build.

BTW, in hindsight, I regret that we renumber proposals after
acceptance. It would be easier if they just retained the number of the
PR (other proposal processes out there do that). But that ship has
sailed.

Cheers,
Joachim

Am Donnerstag, den 09.05.2019, 10:45 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:

> I want to cite a GHC proposal but linking to github for it doesn't
> seem very official or permanent.
>
> Last year you also cited a proposal for your Haskell symposium paper
> (https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03476) but instead linked to the pull
> request which also doesn't seem ideal to me.
>
> Matt
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Simon Peyton Jones
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Interesting.  How would it differ from what we have (i.e. github's RST viewer)?

Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Website for viewing proposals

Iavor Diatchki
Having a read-only rendered version of all accepted proposals should
probably be pretty simple---we can even host it in the same repo using
"Github Pages".    I don't know that we need anything more complex
than that.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:41 AM Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I looked into getting doi’s for our accepted proposals, but it looked
> harder than it should be.
>
> Building a nice web page from our repository and publishing it on
> GitHub pages, which can serve a custom domain like
> ghc-proposals.haskell.org would not be hard. Matthew even started a
> Makefile at some point that produces a reasonably nice output using
> sphinx.
>
> Maybe only reason why I am hesitant to do so is that there is a feature
> creep risk:
> We start with a webpage that shows accepted proposals,
> soon we’ll add functionality to list pending proposals and their status
> (why not? They are just a GitHub API call away),
> then we start using this page to actually drive the proposals (surely
> we can use this to tally the votes),
> and then we end up with a system that no longer has the “you just need
> to know GitHub to use it” property that made us build a Github-centric
> process in the first place.
>
> But maybe I am paranoid, and I should just set up the CI infrastructure
> for Matthew’s sphinx build.
>
> BTW, in hindsight, I regret that we renumber proposals after
> acceptance. It would be easier if they just retained the number of the
> PR (other proposal processes out there do that). But that ship has
> sailed.
>
> Cheers,
> Joachim
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 09.05.2019, 10:45 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:
> > I want to cite a GHC proposal but linking to github for it doesn't
> > seem very official or permanent.
> >
> > Last year you also cited a proposal for your Haskell symposium paper
> > (https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03476) but instead linked to the pull
> > request which also doesn't seem ideal to me.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Simon Peyton Jones
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Interesting.  How would it differ from what we have (i.e. github's RST viewer)?

I agree a simple static site is all it needs, as Joachim points out I
already implemented the basic site generation.

The main question is about where the site lives and what the
deployment mechanism is. If it's tied to the ghc-proposal repo then I
can't do anything but if it's a subdomain of `haskell.org` then I
could be more potent.

Cheers,

Matt

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM Iavor Diatchki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having a read-only rendered version of all accepted proposals should
> probably be pretty simple---we can even host it in the same repo using
> "Github Pages".    I don't know that we need anything more complex
> than that.
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:41 AM Joachim Breitner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked into getting doi’s for our accepted proposals, but it looked
> > harder than it should be.
> >
> > Building a nice web page from our repository and publishing it on
> > GitHub pages, which can serve a custom domain like
> > ghc-proposals.haskell.org would not be hard. Matthew even started a
> > Makefile at some point that produces a reasonably nice output using
> > sphinx.
> >
> > Maybe only reason why I am hesitant to do so is that there is a feature
> > creep risk:
> > We start with a webpage that shows accepted proposals,
> > soon we’ll add functionality to list pending proposals and their status
> > (why not? They are just a GitHub API call away),
> > then we start using this page to actually drive the proposals (surely
> > we can use this to tally the votes),
> > and then we end up with a system that no longer has the “you just need
> > to know GitHub to use it” property that made us build a Github-centric
> > process in the first place.
> >
> > But maybe I am paranoid, and I should just set up the CI infrastructure
> > for Matthew’s sphinx build.
> >
> > BTW, in hindsight, I regret that we renumber proposals after
> > acceptance. It would be easier if they just retained the number of the
> > PR (other proposal processes out there do that). But that ship has
> > sailed.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joachim
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, den 09.05.2019, 10:45 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:
> > > I want to cite a GHC proposal but linking to github for it doesn't
> > > seem very official or permanent.
> > >
> > > Last year you also cited a proposal for your Haskell symposium paper
> > > (https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03476) but instead linked to the pull
> > > request which also doesn't seem ideal to me.
> > >
> > > Matt

given that Matthew already created a sphinx setup, GitHub pages isn’t
optimal. You need to use some other CI system like Travis to actually
build the page and push it, which I have set up a few times and is
possible, not completely straight-forward. What is straight-forward is
readthedocs.io, where I essentially just pressed one button and got
this:

   https://ghc-proposals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Neat, isn’t it? I will clean up the section numbering.

The only thing I’d like to do before making this official is to use a
more permanent URL, in case we move this somewhere else. For that I’d
need a haskell.org admin to add a CNAME from

   ghc-proposals.haskell.org

   readthedocs.io

CC’ing gershom, hope he is the right contact for this task.

Cheers,
Joachim

Am Freitag, den 10.05.2019, 13:33 -0700 schrieb Iavor Diatchki:

> Having a read-only rendered version of all accepted proposals should
> probably be pretty simple---we can even host it in the same repo using
> "Github Pages".    I don't know that we need anything more complex
> than that.
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 5:41 AM Joachim Breitner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked into getting doi’s for our accepted proposals, but it looked
> > harder than it should be.
> >
> > Building a nice web page from our repository and publishing it on
> > GitHub pages, which can serve a custom domain like
> > ghc-proposals.haskell.org would not be hard. Matthew even started a
> > Makefile at some point that produces a reasonably nice output using
> > sphinx.
> >
> > Maybe only reason why I am hesitant to do so is that there is a feature
> > creep risk:
> > We start with a webpage that shows accepted proposals,
> > soon we’ll add functionality to list pending proposals and their status
> > (why not? They are just a GitHub API call away),
> > then we start using this page to actually drive the proposals (surely
> > we can use this to tally the votes),
> > and then we end up with a system that no longer has the “you just need
> > to know GitHub to use it” property that made us build a Github-centric
> > process in the first place.
> >
> > But maybe I am paranoid, and I should just set up the CI infrastructure
> > for Matthew’s sphinx build.
> >
> > BTW, in hindsight, I regret that we renumber proposals after
> > acceptance. It would be easier if they just retained the number of the
> > PR (other proposal processes out there do that). But that ship has
> > sailed.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joachim
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, den 09.05.2019, 10:45 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:
> > > I want to cite a GHC proposal but linking to github for it doesn't
> > > seem very official or permanent.
> > >
> > > Last year you also cited a proposal for your Haskell symposium paper
> > > (https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03476) but instead linked to the pull
> > > request which also doesn't seem ideal to me.
> > >
> > > Matt

Thanks Joachim, that looks good.

I might have a go styling the site this weekend to make it fit in more
with the Haskell.org theme.

Matt

Am Freitag, den 10.05.2019, 23:22 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:
> I might have a go styling the site this weekend to make it fit in more
> with the Haskell.org theme.

that’d be awesome.

Cheers,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Website for viewing proposals

Gershom Bazerman
Joachim -- will the readthedocs settings automatically know how to
direct things once the cname is set?

Also, I'd note that the documentation needs a little cleanup to make
clear that this is the page for _accepted_ proposals, not all
proposals -- perhaps it should also link back to the PR tracker as
well? (And also the nice generation makes obvious that there are a few
too many proposals numbered "1" :-)). Along those lines too, perhaps
the name should be bikeshedded a bit for that reason --
ghc-proposals.haskell.org makes it look like that's where I'd go to
get all proposals, not just the accepted ones.

Cheers,
Gershom

Am Freitag, den 10.05.2019, 18:26 -0400 schrieb Gershom B:
> Joachim -- will the readthedocs settings automatically know how to
> direct things once the cname is set?

yes I have configured things on that side already. Should work right
away.

> Also, I'd note that the documentation needs a little cleanup to make
> clear that this is the page for _accepted_ proposals, not all
> proposals -- perhaps it should also link back to the PR tracker as
> well? (And also the nice generation makes obvious that there are a few
> too many proposals numbered "1" :-)).

Reload, both fixed a few minutes ago.

>  Along those lines too, perhaps
> the name should be bikeshedded a bit for that reason --
> ghc-proposals.haskell.org makes it look like that's where I'd go to
> get all proposals, not just the accepted ones.

accepted-ghc-proposals.haskell.org doesn’t make a pretty domain name.

We will add a intro to that page explaining what this page is, and
point to the GitHub repo for more details.

Cheers,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Website for viewing proposals

Matthew Pickering
Perhaps the correct URL should be

ghc.haskell.org/proposals

but that redirects to https://www.haskell.org/ghc/

So is the correct URL https://www.haskell.org/ghc/proposals ?

Anyway, there should probably be some mention of the proposals process
on the GHC website which is sorely unloved.

Matt

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joachim -- will the readthedocs settings automatically know how to
> direct things once the cname is set?
>
> Also, I'd note that the documentation needs a little cleanup to make
> clear that this is the page for _accepted_ proposals, not all
> proposals -- perhaps it should also link back to the PR tracker as
> well? (And also the nice generation makes obvious that there are a few
> too many proposals numbered "1" :-)). Along those lines too, perhaps
> the name should be bikeshedded a bit for that reason --
> ghc-proposals.haskell.org makes it look like that's where I'd go to
> get all proposals, not just the accepted ones.
>
> Cheers,
> Gershom
>
> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Matthew Pickering
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Joachim, that looks good.
> >
> > I might have a go styling the site this weekend to make it fit in more
> > with the Haskell.org theme.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:13 PM Joachim Breitner
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > given that Matthew already created a sphinx setup, GitHub pages isn’t
> > > optimal. You need to use some other CI system like Travis to actually
> > > build the page and push it, which I have set up a few times and is
> > > possible, not completely straight-forward. What is straight-forward is
> > > readthedocs.io, where I essentially just pressed one button and got
> > > this:
> > >
> > >    https://ghc-proposals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> > >
> > > Neat, isn’t it? I will clean up the section numbering.
> > >

> > > The only thing I’d like to do before making this official is to use a
> > > more permanent URL, in case we move this somewhere else. For that I’d
> > > need a haskell.org admin to add a CNAME from
> > >
> > >    ghc-proposals.haskell.org

> > >    readthedocs.io
> > >
> > > CC’ing gershom, hope he is the right contact for this task.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Joachim

unfortunately it has to be a dedicated domain, not an URL on some other
domain, to get the easy, no-additional-work hosting from readthedocs.

Cheers,
Joachim

Am Freitag, den 10.05.2019, 23:30 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:

> Perhaps the correct URL should be
>
> ghc.haskell.org/proposals
>
> but that redirects to https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>
> So is the correct URL https://www.haskell.org/ghc/proposals ?
>
> Anyway, there should probably be some mention of the proposals process
> on the GHC website which is sorely unloved.
>
> Matt
>
> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Joachim -- will the readthedocs settings automatically know how to
> > direct things once the cname is set?
> >
> > Also, I'd note that the documentation needs a little cleanup to make
> > clear that this is the page for _accepted_ proposals, not all
> > proposals -- perhaps it should also link back to the PR tracker as
> > well? (And also the nice generation makes obvious that there are a few
> > too many proposals numbered "1" :-)). Along those lines too, perhaps
> > the name should be bikeshedded a bit for that reason --
> > ghc-proposals.haskell.org makes it look like that's where I'd go to
> > get all proposals, not just the accepted ones.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Gershom
> >
> > On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Matthew Pickering
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Thanks Joachim, that looks good.
> > >
> > > I might have a go styling the site this weekend to make it fit in more
> > > with the Haskell.org theme.
> > >
> > > Matt

The GHC website is already deployed by gitlab. It could be possible to
set up a nightly job which clones the ghc-proposals repo and deploys
it in a similar manner.

I do feel that it would be very unfortunate if the proposals were
distant from the supposed official GHC homepage.

Matt

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> unfortunately it has to be a dedicated domain, not an URL on some other
> domain, to get the easy, no-additional-work hosting from readthedocs.
>
> Cheers,
> Joachim
>
> Am Freitag, den 10.05.2019, 23:30 +0100 schrieb Matthew Pickering:
> > Perhaps the correct URL should be
> >
> > ghc.haskell.org/proposals
> >
> > but that redirects to https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
> >
> > So is the correct URL https://www.haskell.org/ghc/proposals ?
> >
> > Anyway, there should probably be some mention of the proposals process
> > on the GHC website which is sorely unloved.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Joachim -- will the readthedocs settings automatically know how to
> > > direct things once the cname is set?
> > >
> > > Also, I'd note that the documentation needs a little cleanup to make
> > > clear that this is the page for _accepted_ proposals, not all
> > > proposals -- perhaps it should also link back to the PR tracker as
> > > well? (And also the nice generation makes obvious that there are a few
> > > too many proposals numbered "1" :-)). Along those lines too, perhaps
> > > the name should be bikeshedded a bit for that reason --
> > > ghc-proposals.haskell.org makes it look like that's where I'd go to
> > > get all proposals, not just the accepted ones.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Gershom

we have a solution that needed 10 mins of setup and is completely self-
hosting otherwise, with a proven, open-source friendly provider, at the
expense of a possibly odd (but custom) domain name. I think this is
very good effort to result ratio.

If someone wants do to recreate that manually, that’s ok with it, but
maybe I’m too old and lazy to be excited by the process.

Anyways, bedtime here. I’ll read tomorrow if we shall use this, of if
someone else steps up to be the master of the accepted ghc proposals
webpage deployment, and has created something more bespoke (in which I
case I can remove the readthedocs setup again).

Cheer,
Joachim