Quantcast

What top-level names are “allocated”?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-2
Hi!

When uploading a new version of grapefruit-frp yesterday, I got the
following warning from cabal-install:

> Exposed modules use unallocated top-level names: FRP

This made me wonder which top-level names are actually “allocated”.
I tried to find this out from the Cabal sources, but the GitHub search
functionality revealed no occurrences of the word “unallocated”.

Regarding my concrete case, I think it would be good to change “FRP” to
“Reactive”, which is what Reactive Banana is using, for example.
However, is “Reactive” an “allocated” top-level name?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Re: What top-level names are “allocated”?

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When uploading a new version of grapefruit-frp yesterday, I got the
> following warning from cabal-install:
>
>>  Exposed modules use unallocated top-level names: FRP
>
> This made me wonder which top-level names are actually “allocated”.
> I tried to find this out from the Cabal sources, but the GitHub search
> functionality revealed no occurrences of the word “unallocated”.
It seems to be an answer from the server:
    https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/blob/master/Distribution/Server/Packages/Unpack.hs

allocatedTopLevelNodes lists allocated top-level names.

Re: What top-level names are “allocated”?

amindfv
"FRP" seems like something we could make an allocated name.

Tom

> El 17 feb 2017, a las 08:45, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi!
>
> When uploading a new version of grapefruit-frp yesterday, I got the
> following warning from cabal-install:
>
>>  Exposed modules use unallocated top-level names: FRP
>
> This made me wonder which top-level names are actually “allocated”.
> I tried to find this out from the Cabal sources, but the GitHub search
> functionality revealed no occurrences of the word “unallocated”.
>
> Regarding my concrete case, I think it would be good to change “FRP” to
> “Reactive”, which is what Reactive Banana is using, for example.
> However, is “Reactive” an “allocated” top-level name?
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang

Re: What top-level names are “allocated”?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-2
I think, “Reactive” would be much better. Most modules about reactivity
are FRP libraries anyhow. If we would have “FRP” as a top-level name,
where would the few non-functional reactive libraries fit into? As I
said, I plan to move from “FRP” to “Reactive” for Grapefruit anyhow.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, den 17.02.2017, 10:14 -0600 schrieb [hidden email]:

> "FRP" seems like something we could make an allocated name.
>
> Tom
>

> > El 17 feb 2017, a las 08:45, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]
> > e.org> escribió:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > When uploading a new version of grapefruit-frp yesterday, I got the
> > following warning from cabal-install:
> >

> > >  Exposed modules use unallocated top-level names: FRP
> >
> > This made me wonder which top-level names are actually “allocated”.
> > I tried to find this out from the Cabal sources, but the GitHub
> > search functionality revealed no occurrences of the word
> > “unallocated”.
> >
> > Regarding my concrete case, I think it would be good to change “FRP”
> > to “Reactive”, which is what Reactive Banana is using, for example.
> > However, is “Reactive” an “allocated” top-level name?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Wolfgang

Re: What top-level names are “allocated”?

Alexey Vagarenko
Forgive me, but what does "allocated top-level name" mean?

I think, “Reactive” would be much better. Most modules about reactivity
are FRP libraries anyhow. If we would have “FRP” as a top-level name,
where would the few non-functional reactive libraries fit into? As I
said, I plan to move from “FRP” to “Reactive” for Grapefruit anyhow.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, den 17.02.2017, 10:14 -0600 schrieb [hidden email]:
> "FRP" seems like something we could make an allocated name.
>
> Tom
>

> > El 17 feb 2017, a las 08:45, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]
> > e.org> escribió:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > When uploading a new version of grapefruit-frp yesterday, I got the
> > following warning from cabal-install:
> >

> > >  Exposed modules use unallocated top-level names: FRP
> >
> > This made me wonder which top-level names are actually “allocated”.
> > I tried to find this out from the Cabal sources, but the GitHub
> > search functionality revealed no occurrences of the word
> > “unallocated”.
> >
> > Regarding my concrete case, I think it would be good to change “FRP”
> > to “Reactive”, which is what Reactive Banana is using, for example.
> > However, is “Reactive” an “allocated” top-level name?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Wolfgang

Re: What top-level names are “allocated”?

Adam Bergmark-2
The only thing it means afaik is that this warning triggers. Several projects ignore this and use a top level name instead. My vote would be to remove this warning.