Which pretty print library?

Johannes Waldmann-2
Dear Cafe,

what is today's answer to this old question:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9761507/which-pretty-print-library

In particular, I agree with author's:
"The thing that worries me about these [many pretty-printing libraries]
is that many of them have many releases. This implies they've had
features added, bugs fixed, etc. But have they all had the same
bugs fixed?"

Meanwhile, there's https://hackage.haskell.org/package/prettyprinter
"This package solves all these issues, and then some."
(clearly an instance of https://xkcd.com/927/ )

GHC is using pretty-1.1.3.6 ?

- J.W.

Re: Which pretty print library?

Vanessa McHale
I've used prettyprinter and I've been reasonably happy with it. I'd
recommend *not* using ansi-wl-pprint but I don't have much experience
with anything beyond those two since I've not had any reason to move on
from prettyprinter :)

On 10/04/2018 10:48 AM, waldmann wrote:

> Dear Cafe,
>
> what is today's answer to this old question:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9761507/which-pretty-print-library
>
> In particular, I agree with author's:
> "The thing that worries me about these [many pretty-printing libraries]
> is that many of them have many releases. This implies they've had
> features added, bugs fixed, etc. But have they all had the same
> bugs fixed?"
>
> Meanwhile, there's https://hackage.haskell.org/package/prettyprinter
> "This package solves all these issues, and then some."
> (clearly an instance of https://xkcd.com/927/ )
>
> GHC is using pretty-1.1.3.6 ?
>
> - J.W.

Re: Which pretty print library?