Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

The blog post on http://blog.tweag.io/posts/2017-03-13-linear-types.html
says, “We are targeting a merge by the time of the 8.4 release of GHC.”
Does this mean that GHC 8.4 is expected to have support for linear
types, or does it mean that the merge should happen after a GHC 8.4
branch has been forked off from the HEAD branch, so that only GHC 8.6
will have support for linear types?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Boespflug, Mathieu
Hi Wolfgang,

8.4 is the next release after the (by now imminent) 8.2 release. But
no support for linear types has of yet been merged into the master
branch that will eventually form the basis of the 8.4 release. This
support is under active development at the moment on a side branch.
Some of us are giving ourselves the 8.4 release as a *tentative*
target, so don't count on it. It may well end up happening much
further in the future. It's a research effort at this point and the
design is likely to change a bunch.

In the meantime, you can play around with this Docker image:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tweag/linear-types/

It contains a pre-built fork of GHC with the current state of the
linear types implementation. You can see the development as it's
happening here:

https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types

Best,
--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On 30 June 2017 at 15:49, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The blog post on http://blog.tweag.io/posts/2017-03-13-linear-types.html
> says, “We are targeting a merge by the time of the 8.4 release of GHC.”
> Does this mean that GHC 8.4 is expected to have support for linear
> types, or does it mean that the merge should happen after a GHC 8.4
> branch has been forked off from the HEAD branch, so that only GHC 8.6
> will have support for linear types?
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi, Mathieu!

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I am just cloning the Git repository at https://github.com/tweag/ghc.git
and want to build GHC from it. Is this still the right repository? Does
it contain the same as the Docker image?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:02 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> 8.4 is the next release after the (by now imminent) 8.2 release. But
> no support for linear types has of yet been merged into the master
> branch that will eventually form the basis of the 8.4 release. This
> support is under active development at the moment on a side branch.
> Some of us are giving ourselves the 8.4 release as a *tentative*
> target, so don't count on it. It may well end up happening much
> further in the future. It's a research effort at this point and the
> design is likely to change a bunch.
>
> In the meantime, you can play around with this Docker image:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/tweag/linear-types/
>
> It contains a pre-built fork of GHC with the current state of the
> linear types implementation. You can see the development as it's
> happening here:
>
> https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types
>
> Best,
> --
> Mathieu Boespflug
> Founder at http://tweag.io.
>

> On 30 June 2017 at 15:49, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > The blog post on http://blog.tweag.io/posts/2017-03-13-linear-types.
> > html
> > says, “We are targeting a merge by the time of the 8.4 release of
> > GHC.”
> > Does this mean that GHC 8.4 is expected to have support for linear
> > types, or does it mean that the merge should happen after a GHC 8.4
> > branch has been forked off from the HEAD branch, so that only GHC
> > 8.6
> > will have support for linear types?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Wolfgang

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Boespflug, Mathieu
Yes, just make sure to checkout the linear-types branch, not the master branch.
--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On 30 June 2017 at 16:09, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Mathieu!
>
> Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
>
> I am just cloning the Git repository at https://github.com/tweag/ghc.git
> and want to build GHC from it. Is this still the right repository? Does
> it contain the same as the Docker image?
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang
>
> Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:02 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> 8.4 is the next release after the (by now imminent) 8.2 release. But
>> no support for linear types has of yet been merged into the master
>> branch that will eventually form the basis of the 8.4 release. This
>> support is under active development at the moment on a side branch.
>> Some of us are giving ourselves the 8.4 release as a *tentative*
>> target, so don't count on it. It may well end up happening much
>> further in the future. It's a research effort at this point and the
>> design is likely to change a bunch.
>>
>> In the meantime, you can play around with this Docker image:
>>
>> https://hub.docker.com/r/tweag/linear-types/
>>
>> It contains a pre-built fork of GHC with the current state of the
>> linear types implementation. You can see the development as it's
>> happening here:
>>
>> https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types
>>
>> Best,
>> --
>> Mathieu Boespflug
>> Founder at http://tweag.io.
>>

>> On 30 June 2017 at 15:49, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > The blog post on http://blog.tweag.io/posts/2017-03-13-linear-types.
>> > html
>> > says, “We are targeting a merge by the time of the 8.4 release of
>> > GHC.”
>> > Does this mean that GHC 8.4 is expected to have support for linear
>> > types, or does it mean that the merge should happen after a GHC 8.4
>> > branch has been forked off from the HEAD branch, so that only GHC
>> > 8.6
>> > will have support for linear types?
>> >
>> > All the best,
>> > Wolfgang

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

I am just reading the instructions for cloning GHC from Git under

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#CloningfromGitHub

Do these instructions also apply in an analogous way to cloning your GHC
repository?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:11 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:

> Yes, just make sure to checkout the linear-types branch, not the
> master branch.
> --
> Mathieu Boespflug
> Founder at http://tweag.io.
>

> On 30 June 2017 at 16:09, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Mathieu!
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
> >
> > I am just cloning the Git repository at https://github.com/tweag/ghc
> > .git
> > and want to build GHC from it. Is this still the right repository?
> > Does
> > it contain the same as the Docker image?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Wolfgang
> >
> > Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:02 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
> > >
> > > Hi Wolfgang,
> > >
> > > 8.4 is the next release after the (by now imminent) 8.2 release.
> > > But
> > > no support for linear types has of yet been merged into the master
> > > branch that will eventually form the basis of the 8.4 release.
> > > This
> > > support is under active development at the moment on a side
> > > branch.
> > > Some of us are giving ourselves the 8.4 release as a *tentative*
> > > target, so don't count on it. It may well end up happening much
> > > further in the future. It's a research effort at this point and
> > > the
> > > design is likely to change a bunch.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, you can play around with this Docker image:
> > >
> > > https://hub.docker.com/r/tweag/linear-types/
> > >
> > > It contains a pre-built fork of GHC with the current state of the
> > > linear types implementation. You can see the development as it's
> > > happening here:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > --
> > > Mathieu Boespflug
> > > Founder at http://tweag.io.
> > >

> > > On 30 June 2017 at 15:49, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]
> > > fo>

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hmm, after entering various submodules into the configuration, Git asks
me for a username for https://github.com. Why?

Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 17:15 +0300 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:

> Hi!
>
> I am just reading the instructions for cloning GHC from Git under
>
>     https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#C
> loningfromGitHub
>
> Do these instructions also apply in an analogous way to cloning your
> GHC repository?
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang
>
> Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:11 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
> >
> > Yes, just make sure to checkout the linear-types branch, not the
> > master branch.
> > --
> > Mathieu Boespflug
> > Founder at http://tweag.io.
> >

> > On 30 June 2017 at 16:09, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi, Mathieu!
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
> > >
> > > I am just cloning the Git repository at https://github.com/tweag/g
> > > hc
> > > .git
> > > and want to build GHC from it. Is this still the right repository?
> > > Does
> > > it contain the same as the Docker image?
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > > Wolfgang
> > >
> > > Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:02 +0200 schrieb Boespflug,
> > > Mathieu:

RE: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

GHC - devs mailing list
And, just to be clear, while I think the design is coming along nicely, we have not yet made a clear proposal to the ghc-devs community, via the ghc-proposals mechanism, for a change to GHC.   Until we have an adopted propsoal we can't say "it'll be in GHC by date X".

Simon

It'd be very interesting to know more about your use-case.  Why do you want linear types?

Simon

After entering my Git username and password, Git showed me the following
error:

> fatal: repository 'https://github.com/tweag/arcanist-external-json-linter.git/' not found

What exact command do I have to use to clone the repository? So far, I
have used the following:

> git clone --recursive https://github.com/tweag/ghc.git

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 17:23 +0300 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:

> Hmm, after entering various submodules into the configuration, Git
> asks me for a username for https://github.com. Why?
>
> Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 17:15 +0300 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am just reading the instructions for cloning GHC from Git under
> >
> >     https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources
> > #C
> > loningfromGitHub
> >
> > Do these instructions also apply in an analogous way to cloning your
> > GHC repository?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Wolfgang
> >
> > Am Freitag, den 30.06.2017, 16:11 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
> > >

> > > Yes, just make sure to checkout the linear-types branch, not the
> > > master branch.
> > > --
> > > Mathieu Boespflug
> > > Founder at http://tweag.io.
> > >

> > > On 30 June 2017 at 16:09, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]
> > > fo

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Edvard Hübinette
Hi Wolfgang,

I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types.

Hope this will help!

Cheers,
Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi, Edvard!

Thanks a lot for putting this together. This is very helpful indeed.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 16:20 +0000 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both
> for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can
> be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/lin
> ear-types.
>
> Hope this will help!
>
> Cheers,
> Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi, Edvard!

I generally followed the instructions on

    https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types#building-from-source  ,

but when running

    git checkout tweag/linear-types  ,

I got the following error message:

> fatal: Not a git repository: ${BASEDIR}/ghc/.git/modules/.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter

I guess this is because my local directory is not named “ghc”, but “ghc-
linear”. In my opinion, the repository should not assume that a local
copy of it resides in a directory of a certain name. Is this a GHC issue
or an issue with your linear-types branch?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 16:20 +0000 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both
> for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can
> be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/lin
> ear-types.
>
> Hope this will help!
>
> Cheers,
> Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Brandon Allbery
On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got the following error message:

> fatal: Not a git repository: ${BASEDIR}/ghc/.git/modules/.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter

I guess this is because my local directory is not named “ghc”, but “ghc-
linear”. In my opinion, the repository should not assume that a local
copy of it resides in a directory of a certain name. Is this a GHC issue
or an issue with your linear-types branch?

Sounds like they forgot to undo some Phabricator-specific setup from the master ghc repo.

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Edvard Hübinette
Hi Wolfgang,

the directory name should not matter (mine is named differently for example). Renaming the base directory after cloning (instead of using git clone foo dir-name) can sometimes confuse git, if that might be the problem.

In any case, we are unable to reproduce this so if you could provide exact reproductions steps we can update the guide. Your git version may be useful as well.

Cheers,
Edvard

Hi, Edvard!

I generally followed the instructions on

    https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types#building-from-source  ,

but when running

    git checkout tweag/linear-types  ,

I got the following error message:

> fatal: Not a git repository: ${BASEDIR}/ghc/.git/modules/.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter

I guess this is because my local directory is not named “ghc”, but “ghc-
linear”. In my opinion, the repository should not assume that a local
copy of it resides in a directory of a certain name. Is this a GHC issue
or an issue with your linear-types branch?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 16:20 +0000 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both
> for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can
> be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/lin
> ear-types.
>
> Hope this will help!
>
> Cheers,
> Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi, Edvard!

I renamed the local directory after cloning. If Git really cannot deal with this, then this is yet another reason for preferring darcs over Git.

Unfortunately, it would be hard to reproduce this problem, since I took slightly different steps before incorporating the linear-types branch, as I did not yet know about the documentation on getting the linear-types branch at that time.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Montag, den 10.07.2017, 11:22 +0200 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:
Hi Wolfgang,

the directory name should not matter (mine is named differently for example). Renaming the base directory after cloning (instead of using git clone foo dir-name) can sometimes confuse git, if that might be the problem.

In any case, we are unable to reproduce this so if you could provide exact reproductions steps we can update the guide. Your git version may be useful as well.

Cheers,
Edvard

Hi, Edvard!

I generally followed the instructions on

    https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types#building-from-source  ,

but when running

    git checkout tweag/linear-types  ,

I got the following error message:

> fatal: Not a git repository: ${BASEDIR}/ghc/.git/modules/.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter

I guess this is because my local directory is not named “ghc”, but “ghc-
linear”. In my opinion, the repository should not assume that a local
copy of it resides in a directory of a certain name. Is this a GHC issue
or an issue with your linear-types branch?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 16:20 +0000 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both
> for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can
> be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/lin
> ear-types.
>
> Hope this will help!
>
> Cheers,
> Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Sven Panne-2
I renamed the local directory after cloning. If Git really cannot deal with this, then this is yet another reason for preferring darcs over Git. [...]

You can happily move around any cloned repository, Git has absolutely no problem with that. What often breaks is some imperfect tooling on top of Git itself, which might be the case here.

Just my 2c,
   S.

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

I was finally able to get GHC with the linear types extension running. There is one bit missing though: How do I enable this extension? Apparently there is no extension whose name starts with “Linear”, and when quickly skimming through the list of extensions available for auto-completion in GHCi, I could not find anything related to linear types.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Am Mittwoch, den 05.07.2017, 16:20 +0000 schrieb Edvard Hübinette:
Hi Wolfgang,

I've put together a small README for getting this up and running (both for using stack with pre-built Docker images, and from source). It can be found in the repository here: https://github.com/tweag/ghc/tree/linear-types.

Hope this will help!

Cheers,
Edvard Hübinette

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Joachim Breitner-2

Am Montag, den 10.07.2017, 16:31 +0200 schrieb Sven Panne:

> >:
> > I renamed the local directory after cloning. If Git really cannot
> > deal with this, then this is yet another reason for preferring
> > darcs over Git. [...]
> >

> You can happily move around any cloned repository, Git has absolutely
> no problem with that. What often breaks is some imperfect tooling on
> top of Git itself, which might be the case here.
I found that this is not true for git modules, which can be very
annoying; see https://stackoverflow.com/a/11298947/946226

(Of course, in some sense, git modules are “imperfect tooling on top of
Git”, so you are not wrong).

Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]

This is only true for repos created with ancient Git versions. With newer versions (>= 1.7.10) there is no problem, see e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17568543/git-add-doesnt-work/17747571#17747571.

Re: Which stable GHC release is expected to have support for linear types?

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

I think I figured it out meanwhile: The linear types extension is enabled all the time.

I had thought about this possibility already, but then concluded that this was not the case, since types of the form a -o b were not supported. However, when looking at the diffs, I discovered that at the moment, only the Unicode syntax a ⊸ b is understood.

All the best,
Wolfgang