Why doesnot it jump to the browser when pressing URL in emacs-erc ?

Why doesnot it jump to the browser when pressing URL in emacs-erc ?

z_axis
hi, friends
Using the same emacs config, clicking URL in emacs-erc under STUMPWM will
open and jump to the browser(Opera). However, under XMONAD it just open
the URL without switching the focus to the browser.
it is not a big problem but a bit uncomfortable.

Any suggestion is appreciated !

e^(π.i) + 1 = 0

Why doesnot it jump to the browser when pressing URL in emacs-erc ?

Brandon Allbery
Do you have EwmhDesktops enabled?  If not, xmonad will not recognize the browser's request to take focus.  Basic xmonad is very minimal and only understands the base ICCCM WM control requests.

z_axis <z_axis at 163.com> wrote:

>hi, friends
>Using the same emacs config, clicking URL in emacs-erc under STUMPWM
>will
>open and jump to the browser(Opera). However, under XMONAD it just open
>
>the URL without switching the focus to the browser.
>it is not a big problem but a bit uncomfortable.
>
>Any suggestion is appreciated !

Why doesnot it jump to the browser when pressing URL in emacs-erc ?

z_axis
I have "import XMonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops" in ~/.xmonad.hs, how to enable
EwmhDesktops ?

? Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:59:00 +0800?brandon s allbery kf8nh
<allbery.b at gmail.com> ??:

> Do you have EwmhDesktops enabled?  If not, xmonad will not recognize the
> browser's request to take focus.  Basic xmonad is very minimal and only
> understands the base ICCCM WM control requests.
>
> z_axis <z_axis at 163.com> wrote:
>
>> hi, friends
>> Using the same emacs config, clicking URL in emacs-erc under STUMPWM
>> will
>> open and jump to the browser(Opera). However, under XMONAD it just open
>>
>> the URL without switching the focus to the browser.
>> it is not a big problem but a bit uncomfortable.
>>
>> Any suggestion is appreciated !

?? Opera ????????????: http://www.opera.com/mail/

e^(π.i) + 1 = 0

Why doesnot it jump to the browser when pressing URL in emacs-erc ?

Adam Vogt
Hi z_axis,

Please see the example in
<http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-EwmhDesktops.html>

--
Adam

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Ray <i at maskray.me> wrote:

> How can I reach the opposite effect: to remain most EWMH features but make
> xmonad not recognize the browser's request?
> Oftentimes, I open many links in newsbeuter but do not want the browser
> takes the focus.

This presently requires a hacked copy of EwmhDesktops.  It's requested
often enough that this might change, though.  Personally I'd like to see
some extensions mechanism to make it easier to opt in to/out of the focus
change message or fullscreen, those being the two things that we often want
to be opt-able.  Maybe other features should also be made available for opt
in/out as well.

(I once again do not have a working xmonad dev environment, and am in the
process of moving so it won't be fixed very soon....)

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net