Why exception is not catching?!

PY

Why exception is not catching?!

PY
Hello, dear List!
Super simple function - "safe enum conversion". It's based on `Either`
because only it instantiates `MonadCatch` (Maybe does not, but with
MaybeT I've got error that internal monad Indetity is not MonadCatch,
so I avoid to use Maybe). That it is:

  data A = A1|A2 deriving (Enum, Show)
  data B = B1|B2|B3 deriving (Enum, Show)
  conv :: B -> Either SomeException A
  conv b = safeConv
    where catchError (e::SomeException) = Left e
      safeConv = (Right $ toEnum $ fromEnum b) `catch` catchError
      -- toRes (Left _) = Nothing
      -- toRes (Right r) = Just r

But exception is not catching and I'm getting it in GHCI repl :)
Exceptions are different?! What's wrong with this code?

===
Best regards, Paul

Re: Why exception is not catching?!

Chris Sasarak
I think that this might be related to where it says in the documentation that 'catch' must be called from inside the IO monad: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.10.1.0/docs/Control-Exception-Base.html#v:catch. That doc also points to the evaluate function for details on catching exceptions in pure code.

I'd like for someone else to chime in though, at the least maybe look into using evaluate.

-Chris

PY

Re: Why exception is not catching?!

PY
Hello, Chris! Yes, you are right. Gabriel answered already too:

http://www.haskellforall.com/2012/07/errors-10-simplified-error-handling.html?showComment=1513269598213#c3541282127755203659

What I can't understand in this case is: if partial functions CAN raise
"IO" exception CallError (I'm not sure in terminology here), and this
exception can be catched only in IO monad, why is this not reflected in
the types?! So, seems Haskell is not pure functional language, if there
are such surprices. Sure, there are compromises but they can be
reflected in types/signatures in some way :) Strange.

Solution may be to use "spoon" package which uses `deepseq` to force to
normal form but needs data to be NFData... Thanks to Gabriel for
help :)

===
Best regards, Paul