Why is cabal trying to install a particular dependency?

Why is cabal trying to install a particular dependency?

Jonathon Delgado
Sometimes I want to know why installing package X will require package Y.
After a lot of recursive manual inspection of .cabal files and --dry-run, I
discover that X depends on A, which depends on B, which depends on C, which
requires Y unless some flag is specified.

Is there a way to ask cabal to tell me this?

Why is cabal trying to install a particular dependency?

Ben Gamari-2
On August 28, 2014 8:18:53 AM EDT, Peter <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sometimes I want to know why installing package X will require package
>Y.
>After a lot of recursive manual inspection of .cabal files and
>--dry-run, I
>discover that X depends on A, which depends on B, which depends on C,
>which
>requires Y unless some flag is specified.
>
>Is there a way to ask cabal to tell me this?

Passing -v3 to cabal will cause it to emit all manner of useful (and less than useful) information. It's particularly handy when trying to identify which package is holding back a dependency.

Unfortunately it can be a bit tricky to quickly parse but grep can help here.

Cheers,

- Ben

Ben Gamari <ben <at> smart-cactus.org> writes:

> Passing -v3 to cabal will cause it to emit all manner of useful (and less
than useful) information. It's
> particularly handy when trying to identify which package is holding back a
dependency.

> Unfortunately it can be a bit tricky to quickly parse but grep can help here.

Not ideal, but a definite improvement on what I was doing before!

Why is cabal trying to install a particular dependency?

Gesh
Wouldn't it make sense for cabal to provide a
list-dependencies command, which can query those
dependencies recursively?
Gesh