Wiki markup

GHC - devs mailing list

This is a GitLab wiki markup question.

Suppose I want to have a bulleted list, in which a single item has some text, then some laid-out code, then more text.  I want the second blob of text to be indented as part of the bullet.

Absent the laid-out code, indenting the second para 2 spaces seems to do it:

* first bit of text

  Second bit of text

But if there is code in the middle, like this

* first bit of text

```

code

```

  Second bit of text

the second bit of text is not indented.

Does anyone know how to achieve the indentation?

Re: Wiki markup

Ryan Yates
Hi Simon,

I think you can just indent the code block to achieve this.

Ryan

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is a GitLab wiki markup question.

Suppose I want to have a bulleted list, in which a single item has some text, then some laid-out code, then more text.  I want the second blob of text to be indented as part of the bullet.

Absent the laid-out code, indenting the second para 2 spaces seems to do it:

* first bit of text

  Second bit of text

But if there is code in the middle, like this

* first bit of text

```

code

```

  Second bit of text

the second bit of text is not indented.

Does anyone know how to achieve the indentation?

Re: Wiki markup

Takenobu Tani
It may be solved already, but this is supplementary information.
As Ryan says, you can adjust it with indents as follows:.

* first bit of text

  ```  <--- Align the number of indent characters
  code
  ```

  Second bit of text

Here is an example of markdown:
  https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/sand-box

This is the GitLab markdown specification:
  https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/markdown.html#lists

Regards,
Takenobu

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Ryan Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I think you can just indent the code block to achieve this.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is a GitLab wiki markup question.
>>
>> Suppose I want to have a bulleted list, in which a single item has some text, then some laid-out code, then more text.  I want the second blob of text to be indented as part of the bullet.
>>
>> Absent the laid-out code, indenting the second para 2 spaces seems to do it:
>>
>> * first bit of text
>>

>>   Second bit of text
>>
>> But if there is code in the middle, like this
>>
>> * first bit of text
>>
>> ```
>>
>> code
>>
>> ```
>>
>>   Second bit of text
>>
>> the second bit of text is not indented.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to achieve the indentation?
>>
>> Simon

RE: Wiki markup

GHC - devs mailing list

Ah yes!  You have to indent the triple-backticks by two spaces.  I never thought of that.  Thank you!

Duly noted in my gitlab lore https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git-lab-spj