WinHugs installer broken

Bartosz Milewski

I get the following error during the installation of WinHugs: Could not extract the file:  docs\hugs98.chm .

Re: WinHugs installer broken

Neil Mitchell
Hi Bartosz,

I've installed WinHugs many times on many computers with complete
success. I'd check for two things:

1) Redownload the file, in case it got cut off half way through.

2) Check you have sufficient disk space.

If its still broken after that, let me know.

Thanks

Neil

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Bartosz Milewski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I get the following error during the installation of WinHugs: Could not
> extract the file:  docs\hugs98.chm .

RE: WinHugs installer broken

Bartosz Milewski
I have redownloaded the file using a different browser, to make sure it
wasn't cached. I have plenty of disk space. I think the problem might be
that I'm using Vista 64-bit. Has the installation program been tested on
that platform?
Bartosz

The error message contains a full path to the missing file: c:\Program Files
(x86)\WinHugs\docs\hugs98.chm . I don't even see the directory WinHugs
there. It could be a problem of the installer not having enough privileges
on Vista. I don't have problems installing other programs though.

No, it hasn't - and that is likely to be the cause of the problem. I
recommend renaming the .exe as .zip, then using a program such a
WinZip to extract the files. You won't get shortcuts generated, but it
should install just fine.

Thanks

Neil

jorg visch
Hi,

I had the same problem, just run the setup as an administrator.

jorg
Neil Mitchell wrote
Hi Bartosz,

> I have redownloaded the file using a different browser, to make sure it
> wasn't cached. I have plenty of disk space. I think the problem might be
> that I'm using Vista 64-bit. Has the installation program been tested on
> that platform?

No, it hasn't - and that is likely to be the cause of the problem. I
recommend renaming the .exe as .zip, then using a program such a
WinZip to extract the files. You won't get shortcuts generated, but it
should install just fine.

Thanks

Neil

Nessa
I get this problem on windows 7 and yes, it's a privilege problem. With this OS
the solution is to install the program as administrator (right click on the icon
and run as admin)