Quantcast

Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

Sebastian Graf
Hi,

when the Creators Update finally hits Windows 10 stable on April 11th (next week), every currently available GHC will be broken by it.

See [1] for the previous discussion, [2] and [3] for the tickets discussing this. From what I read on the GHC 8.2 status wiki page, there might be an interval of some weeks where it will not be possible to compile a Haskell program on any up-to-date Windows 10 installation.

I just wanted to raise awareness and offer myself to do guided grunt work (if there is any) to push out a hotfix/inplace patch release for GHC 8.0.2.

Greetings,
Sebastian

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

Sebastian Graf
Also note that a minimal patch already exists which will ship in GHC 8.2: https://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/commitdiff/018ac7f4b2f7345e28d21fb1f99b44dbc79f6e85

It's 'just' a matter of packaging that up in a hotfix.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Sebastian Graf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

when the Creators Update finally hits Windows 10 stable on April 11th (next week), every currently available GHC will be broken by it.

See [1] for the previous discussion, [2] and [3] for the tickets discussing this. From what I read on the GHC 8.2 status wiki page, there might be an interval of some weeks where it will not be possible to compile a Haskell program on any up-to-date Windows 10 installation.

I just wanted to raise awareness and offer myself to do guided grunt work (if there is any) to push out a hotfix/inplace patch release for GHC 8.0.2.

Greetings,
Sebastian

RE: Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

GHC - devs mailing list

Yikes that sounds bad!

I just wanted to raise awareness and offer myself to do guided grunt work (if there is any) to push out a hotfix/inplace patch release for GHC 8.0.2.

Help would be fantastic.   Phyx, Ben, etc: do we have a plan?

Simon

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

lonetiger

We have discussed a few options on what to do, but haven't gotten a conclusion/concensus yet.

Last we talked one option was presented to just re-tar the 7.10.3 and 8.0.2 tarballs with the fix. The gcc wrapper does not affect code generation of the compiler, it's just there to correct paths that are hard-coded in gcc because it was built to be used in MSYS2.

7.10.3 would be needed since we still support bootstrapping using it. This would be the easiest solution.

Ben what do you think about changing the already released tarballs? Or would you prefer a full new release?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017, 09:18 Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yikes that sounds bad!

I just wanted to raise awareness and offer myself to do guided grunt work (if there is any) to push out a hotfix/inplace patch release for GHC 8.0.2.

Help would be fantastic.   Phyx, Ben, etc: do we have a plan?

Simon

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update will break GHC (Was FW: GHC on Windows 10 15019+)

Ryan Trinkle-3
I would strongly urge that any new tarballs be released under new names, and that the old tarballs be kept in place.  Changing existing tarball URLs silently causes breakage for Nix, and, I would imagine, for any other build systems that are particularly concerned with reproducibility.  Nix packages based on GHC use an SHA-256 hash of the tarball to check it when downloading, which of course will be broken by any change, no matter how minor.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily impact the version number directly.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Phyx <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ben Gamari-2
Phyx <[hidden email]> writes:

> We have discussed a few options on what to do, but haven't gotten a
> conclusion/concensus yet.

Tamar and I have discussed this on IRC in the passed. I tend to agree
that we will need to, at the very least, put out a new 8.0.2. I'm not
sure about 7.10. Moreover, there is reportedly a non-negligible fraction
of users still using 7.8 releases, although I'm not keen on going back
that far given that this was pre-submodules.

> Last we talked one option was presented to just re-tar the 7.10.3 and 8.0.2
> tarballs with the fix. The gcc wrapper does not affect code generation of
> the compiler, it's just there to correct paths that are hard-coded in gcc
> because it was built to be used in MSYS2.
>
> 7.10.3 would be needed since we still support bootstrapping using it. This
> would be the easiest solution.
>
> Ben what do you think about changing the already released tarballs? Or
> would you prefer a full new release?

We certainly can't change the existing tarballs. However, we could just
push out a 7.10.4 (or perhaps 7.10.3b, I'm unsure) release with binary
distributions for Windows only. There are a few unrelated patches on the
ghc-7.10 branch that weren't present in 7.10.3, but I believe they are
quite low-risk.

Cheers,

- Ben

Ryan Trinkle <[hidden email]> writes:

> I would strongly urge that any new tarballs be released under new names,
> and that the old tarballs be kept in place.  Changing existing tarball URLs
> silently causes breakage for Nix, and, I would imagine, for any other build
> systems that are particularly concerned with reproducibility.  Nix packages
> based on GHC use an SHA-256 hash of the tarball to check it when
> downloading, which of course will be broken by any change, no matter how
> minor.

I completely agree here; I avoid updating existing artifacts whenever
possible.

Cheers,

- Ben