Windows

GHC - devs mailing list

I’ve just got  a new laptop (the old one’s hard disk died) so I’m trying to get to the point of being able to build GHC again.

I’m currently stuck here:

./configure

configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site

checking for gfind... no

checking for find... /usr/bin/find

checking for sort... /usr/bin/sort

checking for GHC version date... inferred 8.5.20180323

checking for GHC Git commit id... inferred affdea82bb70e5a912b679a169c6e9a230e4c93e

checking for ghc... /c/fp/HP-8.2.2/bin/ghc

checking version of ghc... 8.2.2

GHC path canonicalised to: c:/fp/HP-8.2.2/bin/ghc

checking build system type... x86_64-pc-msys

checking host system type... x86_64-pc-msys

checking target system type... x86_64-pc-msys

Unknown OS msys

Any ideas?

Thanks

RE: Windows

Phyx

Hi Simon,

You need

export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

in your bash profile.

Regards,

Tamar

Re: Windows

Gabor Greif-2
Just an idea...

could this hint be part of the `configure` error message?

 Gabor

> Hi Simon,
>
> You need
>
> export MSYSTEM=MINGW64
>
> in your bash profile.
>
> Regards,
> Tamar

Re: Windows

Ben Gamari-2
Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:

> Just an idea...
>
> could this hint be part of the `configure` error message?

Indeed. See D4526.

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Windows

GHC - devs mailing list
Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

Re: Windows

Shao, Cheng
Hi Simon,

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

RE: Windows

GHC - devs mailing list

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

Well I just followed the Method A instructions at

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

Are you saying that I should run “C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty" just once, after installing?  Or repeatedly?  Or that I should somehow us it as my main shell?  And what does that commend actually do?

Sorry to be dense

Simon

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

Re: Windows

Shao, Cheng
Hi Simon,

Running “C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty" has the same effect as clicking on the "MinGW-w64 Win64 Shell" shortcut. It is the proper way to start an mingw64 shell. If you have run "pacman -S" to update the MSYS2 packages before, then the old shortcuts setup by the MSYS2 installer may cease to function, and you can put a new shortcut on your desktop with that command.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

Well I just followed the Method A instructions at

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

Are you saying that I should run “C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty" just once, after installing?  Or repeatedly?  Or that I should somehow us it as my main shell?  And what does that commend actually do?

Sorry to be dense

Simon

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

RE: Windows

GHC - devs mailing list

One other thing. The instructions at

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

say to set PATH thus

export PATH=/mingw64/bin:\$PATH

But

  • in the installation tree I got from msys, there IS no c:/mingw64/bin.
  • I have a root directory c:/msys64.
  • Most binaries (eg bash, find) seem to be in c:/mingw64/usr/bin
  • But there is also c:/msys64/mingw64/bin, which (perhaps as a result of the pacman step) has lots more stuf like ar, cc, etc.

All very confusing.  For now I have put both c:/msys64/usr/bin and c:/msys64/mingw64/bin in my path.   That seems to work, but is clearly not what the instructions say.

Thanks

Simon

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

RE: Windows

Phyx

C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty”

Won’t work for you as it spawns a new process using mintty as your terminal emulator.

If I remember correctly you have a setup where you use bash directly in emacs. In which case you just need

To set the environment variables and add /mingw64/bin to your path.

I would personally avoid the use of mintty because of how it implements pty. Lots of interactive programs don’t work

Correctly under it, including ghci where we need specific hacks to work around some of it’s issues https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/56.

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

RE: Windows

GHC - devs mailing list

Running “C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty" has the same effect as clicking on the "MinGW-w64 Win64 Shell" shortcut. It is the proper way to start an mingw64 shell.

Interesting.  Most shells are started by ‘make’.   I think it uses the SHELL envt variable to decide what to start.  Currently I have that set to

  • c:/msys64/usr/bin/bash

Are you saying that I should put

  • C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty

into my SHELL envt variable?

(Also: I always a shell within emacs, rather that an msys window, and it uses SHELL to decide what to run.)

Also: is this related to the

            export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

question?

Thanks

Simon

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

RE: Windows

GHC - devs mailing list

I would personally avoid the use of mintty because of how it implements pty

OK thanks.

If I remember correctly you have a setup where you use bash directly in emacs.

Correct

In which case you just need To set the environment variables and add /mingw64/bin to your path.

But set which envt variables to what, precisely?

As I say in another email, c:/mingw64 doesn’t exist.   c:/msys64 does, and c:/msys64/mingw64.  Very confusing!

Thanks

Simon

If the build environment is managed by an MSYS2 installation, then the MinGW64 shell startup script automatically sets up "MSYSTEM" for you. It can be launched like "C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty".

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Making it part of the error message would be v helpful.

I have added a section to "Troubleshooting" on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

But it should really be part of the instructions higher up to sa
        export MSYSTEM=MINGW64

Might someone do that?  I wasn't quite sure where

Simon

Re: Windows

Phyx

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

One other thing. The instructions at

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

say to set PATH thus

export PATH=/mingw64/bin:\$PATH

But

  • in the installation tree I got from msys, there IS no c:/mingw64/bin.
  • I have a root directory c:/msys64.

These are correct, the instructions are written from the point of view of a msys2 environment and not the Windows one.
So /mingw64 refers to an msys2 path not a windows path. In windows the / would indeed be interpreted to %HOMEDRIVE%/mingw64
but in msys2 this refers to what the msy2 filesystem has been mounted to. This is usually C:\msys64.

Tamar@Yelow ~/ghc2> cygpath -w /mingw64/bin/
E:\msys64\mingw64\bin\

the msys2 tool cygpath converts between the two usually on demand. but you can query it for paths.
What the instructions intended was for you to modify your msys2 environment, not your Windows one, as generally putting
Cygwin derived programs on your global windows path is not advisable.

  • Most binaries (eg bash, find) seem to be in c:/mingw64/usr/bin
Yes, any binary that is a posix port, e.g. depends on newlib crt instead of the Microsoft runtime goes into the usual /usr/bin folder. This would include core-utils,
make etc.

  • But there is also c:/msys64/mingw64/bin, which (perhaps as a result of the pacman step) has lots more stuf like ar, cc, etc.
This folder is meant to contain native ports, e.g. programs that have been "ported" to work on Windows using a standard windows runtime. These have no dependencies on
newlib/Cygwin. This is the distinctions between these two folders.

All very confusing.  For now I have put both c:/msys64/usr/bin and c:/msys64/mingw64/bin in my path.   That seems to work, but is clearly not what the instructions say.

The instruction could be somewhat clearer here, but they are intended to only affect your msys2 installation, and never your global Windows system.