WxHaskell

Morkai
Hi, I'm using GHC 6.4.1 and I've installed WxHaskell 0.9.4 from the
batch file.
When trying to run the examples in interactive mode I get the following
error:

***************
Compiling Main             (
C:/Programmi/Tony/wxhaskell-0.9.4/samples/wxcore/He
lloWorld.hs, interpreted )

C:/Programmi/Tony/wxhaskell-0.9.4/samples/wxcore/HelloWorld.hs:6:0:
    Failed to load interface for `Graphics.UI.WXCore':
        Bad interface file:
C:\Programmi\Tony\wxhaskell-0.9.4\lib\imports/Graphi
cs/UI/WXCore.hi
            mismatched interface file versions: expected 6041, found 6040
Failed, modules loaded: none.

Re: WxHaskell

Arjan van IJzendoorn
> Here the question:
> Is there some workaround to make WxHaskell running with my sistem
> (GHC 6.4.1) or I should downgrade to GHC 6.4?

I think there are two options:
1) downgrade to GHC 6.4
2) build wxHaskell yourself for GHC 6.4.1

Regards, Arjan

Re: WxHaskell

Martijn Schrage
Arjan van IJzendoorn wrote:
>> Here the question:
>> Is there some workaround to make WxHaskell running with my sistem
>> (GHC 6.4.1) or I should downgrade to GHC 6.4?
>
> I think there are two options:
> 1) downgrade to GHC 6.4
> 2) build wxHaskell yourself for GHC 6.4.1

If you're using Windows (which seems to be the case, looking at the file
paths in your posting), there's a third option:

3) Download the precompiled binary I built for Windows and GHC 6.4.1 from

http://www.cs.uu.nl/research/projects/proxima/wxhaskell-bin-msw2.4.2-ghc6.4.1-0.9.4-0.zip

Cheers,
Martijn

Re: WxHaskell

Martijn Schrage

Martijn Schrage wrote:

> If you're using Windows (which seems to be the case, looking at the
> file paths in your posting), there's a third option:
>
> 3) Download the precompiled binary I built for Windows and GHC 6.4.1 from
>
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/research/projects/proxima/wxhaskell-bin-msw2.4.2-ghc6.4.1-0.9.4-0.zip

I've downgraded GHC to 6.4 but soon I will try your binary with a fresh
install of GHC 6.4.1 ;)
Another question: I've compiled the example 'TimeFlows.hs' but the
executable is quite big (7Mb!!!). Even with strip (not found in GHC but,
thankfully, in  /bin of DEV-C++ installation) the size is still 3 Mb.
Maybe linking the exec to WX DLL (wxc-msw2.4.2-0.9.4.dll) could help but
the user_guide isn't very clear (for me, of course ;) on the topic.

> Cheers,
> Martijn

Thanks for all, Tony :)

Re: WxHaskell

Duncan Coutts
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:15 +0100, Morkai wrote:

> Martijn Schrage wrote:
>
> > If you're using Windows (which seems to be the case, looking at the
> > file paths in your posting), there's a third option:
> >
> > 3) Download the precompiled binary I built for Windows and GHC 6.4.1 from
> >
> > http://www.cs.uu.nl/research/projects/proxima/wxhaskell-bin-msw2.4.2-ghc6.4.1-0.9.4-0.zip
> >

> I've downgraded GHC to 6.4 but soon I will try your binary with a fresh
> install of GHC 6.4.1 ;)
> Another question: I've compiled the example 'TimeFlows.hs' but the
> executable is quite big (7Mb!!!). Even with strip (not found in GHC but,
> thankfully, in  /bin of DEV-C++ installation) the size is still 3 Mb.
> Maybe linking the exec to WX DLL (wxc-msw2.4.2-0.9.4.dll) could help but
> the user_guide isn't very clear (for me, of course ;) on the topic.

We had the same problem with Gtk2Hs on all platforms. This has now been
solved by making the Gtk2Hs build system use GHC's "split-objs" feature.
This makes it possible for the linker to be much better at only
including into the program the parts of the library that are actually
used.

Using this feature, the Gtk2Hs "hello world" program is only 30% larger
than the most trivial console "hello world" program (when compiled by
GHC) rather than several megabytes as before.

Duncan