XMonad Per Host Keybinding

Dave Macias
Hello i've googled around to try to figure this out.
I feel im very close.

Im trying to add different actions to identical keybindings depending on the HOST im on. (i use my xmonad.hs file for my desktop and laptop)

Here is a snippet of what i did: (start on line 101)

I get the error "hostname not in scope".

I also have a hook which uses "hostname" and it works but cant add to keybindings.

What am i missing?

Thank you,
Dave

Re: XMonad Per Host Keybinding

Sylvain Henry-2

Hi,

Indeed "hostname" is not in scope in "myKeys". You can add a "hostname" parameter to "myKeys" and to "defaults" (lines 21, 33, 48 and 71) to pass the "hostname" you retrieve in "main" down to "myKeys"

--
Sylvain

On 12/05/2016 23:04, Dave Macias wrote:
Hello i've googled around to try to figure this out.
I feel im very close.

Im trying to add different actions to identical keybindings depending on the HOST im on. (i use my xmonad.hs file for my desktop and laptop)

Here is a snippet of what i did: (start on line 101)

I get the error "hostname not in scope".

I also have a hook which uses "hostname" and it works but cant add to keybindings.

What am i missing?

Thank you,
Dave

Re: XMonad Per Host Keybinding

Dave Macias
Thank you for replying

I did what you suggested and through trial and error, 3/4 lines look good.
Now line 71 gives me the same error "not in scope"

I cant seem to figure out how to add it as a parameter. (Unless i did the other 3 lines wrong)

Thanks again
Dave

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Sylvain Henry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I did try that but i remember it spit out a few errors.
This is the error:

""
xmonad.hs:455:20:
    Couldn't match type ‘[Char]’ with ‘XConfig l0’
    Expected type: XConfig l0
      Actual type: String
    In the expression: hostname
    In the first argument of ‘defaults’, namely
      ‘hostname
         {manageHook = composeAll
                         [manageDocks, manageSpawn, myManageHook, ....],
          startupHook = composeAll
                          [myStartupHook, setWMName "Xmonad", myCaseHook hostname, ....],
          logHook = composeAll
                      [myFadeHook, ewmhDesktopsLogHook, myDzenLogHook xmproc]
                    >> updatePointer (0.5, 0.5) (0, 0)}’
""

Granted line 455 is actually line 71. (in the provided gist config)
The "In the first argument of ‘defaults’, namely" output, that is line 48 if i understand it correctly.

Let me know if i need to provide more of the xmonad.hs config code. (didnt want to flood you with its many lines)

Dave

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Sylvain Henry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That did the trick! Thank you very much Sylvain!

-Dave

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Dave Macias <[hidden email]> wrote:
just saw email.
trying  "()"
need to confirm...
will reply again in a sec

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Dave Macias <[hidden email]> wrote:
I did try that but i remember it spit out a few errors.
This is the error:

""
xmonad.hs:455:20:
    Couldn't match type ‘[Char]’ with ‘XConfig l0’
    Expected type: XConfig l0
      Actual type: String
    In the expression: hostname
    In the first argument of ‘defaults’, namely
      ‘hostname
         {manageHook = composeAll
                         [manageDocks, manageSpawn, myManageHook, ....],
          startupHook = composeAll
                          [myStartupHook, setWMName "Xmonad", myCaseHook hostname, ....],
          logHook = composeAll
                      [myFadeHook, ewmhDesktopsLogHook, myDzenLogHook xmproc]
                    >> updatePointer (0.5, 0.5) (0, 0)}’
""