Xmobar covered by window on startup screen

Xmobar covered by window on startup screen

Chris Bell-2
Hi all,

I've been running into an interesting problem lately. I use a very basic
xmonad/xmobar setup (system info below); not much more than the sample plus some hotkeys.
Recently, when I start xmonad (either with startx or MOD+q) xmobar is
covered by any windows, as if I did not have manageDocks in my
manageHook function. However, it only does this on the screen/desktop
that is active when xmonad is (re)started.

So, when I first start xmonad on a single-screen machine, workspace 1
(the default startup workspace) will show this issue, but none of the
other workspaces will. I can 'fix' this by changing to workspace 9
(which I rarely use), and restarting xmonad with MOD+q. Then, on
workspace 9, windows will cover xmobar, but not on 1-8.

On multi-screen desktops, this occurs with ALL initial workspaces - on
my 4-screen desktop, on startup, windows will cover xmobar on workspaces
1-4, but not 5-9 (until I switch to 6-9 and restart xmonad).

I have been experiencing this problem for a few months now, but haven't
mentioned it because the "workaround" does the job, as long as I have
enough unused workspaces. I'd really like to figure out what I broke or
what I need to change...

System Info
OS: Arch Linux (64-bit, of course)
xmonad: v0.12
xmobar: v0.23.1

Xmonad configuration (xmonad.hs): http://pastebin.com/HWhCqYsi

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Xmobar covered by window on startup screen

Anthony Brice
Hi Chris,

Have you seen this post in the Arch forums? The code in masterdisaster's second post fixed my problem when Xmobar was always covered by the first window I opened.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Chris Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brandon Allbery
On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Chris Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been running into an interesting problem lately. I use a very basic
xmonad/xmobar setup (system info below); not much more than the sample plus some hotkeys.
Recently, when I start xmonad (either with startx or MOD+q) xmobar is
covered by any windows, as if I did not have manageDocks in my
manageHook function. However, it only does this on the screen/desktop
that is active when xmonad is (re)started.

If you are running 0.12 then this is at least partly the strut caching bug; downgrade to 0.11 or upgrade to git HEAD.
For xmonad-contrib HEAD, docksEventHook is no longer optional (as of 0.12 release) and there is a docksStartupHook that is also required (this is not in 0.12).

Re: Xmobar covered by window on startup screen

Chris Bell-2
Thanks!! Adding docksEventHook seems to have worked. Thanks again!