[Xmonad] Window resizing

Edsko de Vries
Hi,

I just downloaded and compiled xmonad, and so far, I quite like it!
However, it seems that mod-l and mod-h don't seem to resize the
"currently focussed window" as specified in Config.hs, but rather the
"first" window in the window layout?

Edsko

[Xmonad] Window resizing

Bas van Dijk-2
On 4/13/07, Edsko de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  it seems that mod-l and mod-h don't seem to resize the
> "currently focussed window" as specified in Config.hs, but rather the
> "first" window in the window layout?

I think the documentation in Config.hs is a bit wrong about that.
mod-h and mod-l don't resize the currently focused window but de- and
increment the tileFraction which is the width or height (depending on
the layoutType Tall or Wide) of the largest window not necessarily the
focused window.

(At least that is what I understand from the source)

Bas van Dijk

[Xmonad] Window resizing

Edsko de Vries
On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Bas van Dijk wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Edsko de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > it seems that mod-l and mod-h don't seem to resize the
> >"currently focussed window" as specified in Config.hs, but rather the
> >"first" window in the window layout?
>
> I think the documentation in Config.hs is a bit wrong about that.
> mod-h and mod-l don't resize the currently focused window but de- and
> increment the tileFraction which is the width or height (depending on
> the layoutType Tall or Wide) of the largest window not necessarily the
> focused window.

Hmm, I see. I'd be useful to get a bit more control over the window
layout than just that.

One thing that might be nice if the tiles can be split at arbitrary
points. One possibility is for example so say that if I start a new
application, the tile of the currently active window will be split into
two, one for the old window and one for the new. If you can then vary
the ratios of all these splits, you get a very fine control over your
window layout.

Edsko

[Xmonad] Window resizing

Spencer Janssen-2
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:13:27 +0100
Edsko de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, it seems that mod-l and mod-h don't seem to resize the
> "currently focussed window" as specified in Config.hs, but rather the
> "first" window in the window layout?

Documentation fixed, thanks

Spencer Janssen

[Xmonad] Window resizing

Spencer Janssen-2
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:24:58 +0100
Edsko de Vries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hmm, I see. I'd be useful to get a bit more control over the window
> layout than just that.
>
> One thing that might be nice if the tiles can be split at arbitrary
> points. One possibility is for example so say that if I start a new
> application, the tile of the currently active window will be split
> into two, one for the old window and one for the new. If you can then
> vary the ratios of all these splits, you get a very fine control
> over your window layout.

This sounds excessively complicated.  I want the layout algorithms to
be so simple that the user knows exactly how the screen will look
whenever a window is created/deleted/moved.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen