[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Georg Neis
Hello,

the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.

Regards,
Georg

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Jason Creighton
On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:04:49PM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.

What programs are you having trouble with, specifically?

mod-shift-c just asks the program to quit. For instance, if I
mod-shift-c on firefox with multiple open tabs, I get a warning dialog
about closing multiple tabs. It's not a "hard kill". Basically, it does
the same thing that other WMs do when you click a close button.

Jason Creighton

Jason Creighton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:04:49PM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:
> > the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> > xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.
>
> What programs are you having trouble with, specifically?

For instance: sylpheed, firefox, xclock, xpdf, xcalc, vlc, gv, gvim

> mod-shift-c just asks the program to quit. For instance, if I
> mod-shift-c on firefox with multiple open tabs, I get a warning dialog
> about closing multiple tabs.

When I do this, nothing happens.

I'm using Debian unstable (Xorg 7.1.0).

Regards, Georg

Georg Neis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.

I've found the reason.  In my .xinitrc I used to start the tool
root-tail to print some logfile to the root window.  If I comment out
that line, then mod-shift-c works as expected.  I don't know why.  I
also wonder why manually running root-tail from an xterm after xmonad
has started up doesn't cause any trouble.

Regards, Georg

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Donald Bruce Stewart
gn:

> Georg Neis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> > xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.
>
> I've found the reason.  In my .xinitrc I used to start the tool
> root-tail to print some logfile to the root window.  If I comment out
> that line, then mod-shift-c works as expected.  I don't know why.  I
> also wonder why manually running root-tail from an xterm after xmonad
> has started up doesn't cause any trouble.

Ok. This is a bit wierd. Can you narrow it down any further?

-- Don

[hidden email] (Donald Bruce Stewart) wrote:

> gn:
> > Georg Neis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> > > xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.
> >
> > I've found the reason.  In my .xinitrc I used to start the tool
> > root-tail to print some logfile to the root window.  If I comment out
> > that line, then mod-shift-c works as expected.  I don't know why.  I
> > also wonder why manually running root-tail from an xterm after xmonad
> > has started up doesn't cause any trouble.
> >

> Ok. This is a bit wierd. Can you narrow it down any further?

I've no idea what to look at.  Can anyone reproduce this at least?
I can say, however, that I don't have this issue when using dwm.

Regards,
Georg

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

David Roundy-2
On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:51:37PM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:

> [hidden email] (Donald Bruce Stewart) wrote:
> > gn:
> > >
> > > I've found the reason.  In my .xinitrc I used to start the tool
> > > root-tail to print some logfile to the root window.  If I comment out
> > > that line, then mod-shift-c works as expected.  I don't know why.  I
> > > also wonder why manually running root-tail from an xterm after xmonad
> > > has started up doesn't cause any trouble.
> > >

> > Ok. This is a bit wierd. Can you narrow it down any further?
>
> I've no idea what to look at.  Can anyone reproduce this at least?
> I can say, however, that I don't have this issue when using dwm.

I don't know what root-tail is, but I can confirm that mod-shift-c doesn't
kill xclocks for me, but does kill xterms (but not aterms).  No idea what
that means, and I haven't much time (or motivation) to track it down,
although it is annoying.
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Donald Bruce Stewart
droundy:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:51:37PM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:
> > [hidden email] (Donald Bruce Stewart) wrote:
> > > gn:

> > > Ok. This is a bit wierd. Can you narrow it down any further?
> >
> > I've no idea what to look at.  Can anyone reproduce this at least?
> > I can say, however, that I don't have this issue when using dwm.
>
> I don't know what root-tail is, but I can confirm that mod-shift-c doesn't
> kill xclocks for me, but does kill xterms (but not aterms).  No idea what
> that means, and I haven't much time (or motivation) to track it down,
> although it is annoying.

Does it help if you quit X completely, and log back in?

I noticed this in firefox, but only after a mod-shift-ctrl-q restart.

-- Don

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 07:50:05AM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > I don't know what root-tail is, but I can confirm that mod-shift-c doesn't
> > kill xclocks for me, but does kill xterms (but not aterms).  No idea what
> > that means, and I haven't much time (or motivation) to track it down,
> > although it is annoying.
>
> Does it help if you quit X completely, and log back in?
>
> I noticed this in firefox, but only after a mod-shift-ctrl-q restart.

No, logging out doesn't seem to help.
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Donald Bruce Stewart
droundy:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:51:37PM +0200, Georg Neis wrote:
> > [hidden email] (Donald Bruce Stewart) wrote:
> > > gn:

> > > Ok. This is a bit wierd. Can you narrow it down any further?
> >
> > I've no idea what to look at.  Can anyone reproduce this at least?
> > I can say, however, that I don't have this issue when using dwm.
>
> I don't know what root-tail is, but I can confirm that mod-shift-c doesn't
> kill xclocks for me, but does kill xterms (but not aterms).  No idea what
> that means, and I haven't much time (or motivation) to track it down,
> although it is annoying.

Ok. I can reproduce this with xclock. I'll track it down later this
week. Most likely there were some assumptions (in the slightly dodgy)
send destroy event code in X11-extras, that broke somewhere.

-- Don

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Spencer Janssen-2
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:04:49 +0200
Georg Neis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the only program that I'm able to kill by pressing mod-shift-c is
> xterm.  For all other programs I can't notice any effect.

I've fixed up some dodgy code in X11-extras that might fix this issue.
Can those that have reported problems try out the latest X11-extras and
let us know if the problem is fixed?

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen

PS - Cabal isn't smart enough to know when X11-extras has changed, so
you'll need to ./Setup clean to make sure xmonad links against the
updated code.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:51:22PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> I've fixed up some dodgy code in X11-extras that might fix this issue.
> Can those that have reported problems try out the latest X11-extras and
> let us know if the problem is fixed?

Seems to be fixed for me.
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net

[Xmonad] mod-shift-c has no effect

Donald Bruce Stewart
droundy:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:51:22PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> > I've fixed up some dodgy code in X11-extras that might fix this issue.
> > Can those that have reported problems try out the latest X11-extras and
> > let us know if the problem is fixed?
>
> Seems to be fixed for me.

Yes, I can't reproduce it either. I think that is the technical 'todo'
holding up the 0.1 release.

-- Don

Spencer Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've fixed up some dodgy code in X11-extras that might fix this issue.
> Can those that have reported problems try out the latest X11-extras and
> let us know if the problem is fixed?

It is!

Regards,
Georg