[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Tim Docker
This is not an xmonad question per-se, but...

In using xmonad my xterms get shrunken and expanded much more often than
with a regular window manager. When this happens how do I prevent them
from losing the text that was hidden by the shrinking? Is there some
sort of config option - or should I be using an alternative terminal?

Tim

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Donald Bruce Stewart
timd:
> This is not an xmonad question per-se, but...
>
> In using xmonad my xterms get shrunken and expanded much more often than
> with a regular window manager. When this happens how do I prevent them
> from losing the text that was hidden by the shrinking? Is there some

losing text? does refresh help (^L)

> sort of config option - or should I be using an alternative terminal?

I use xterm, and it seems to work fairly well, 'cept that it sometimes
doesn't know its been resized. You're using a modern xterm?

-- Don

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Tim Docker
losing text:

If I make the window narrower (via xmonad meta-h), the text on the right
hand side is hidden
When I make it wider (meta-l), the hidden text doesn't return, I just
see whitespace.

^L clears the screen, and if I shift-pgup to scroll backwards, the
entire line history has been truncated at the minimum width I narrowed
to.

timd@tcc15:~/src/xmonad$ xterm -version
XTerm(222)

Don't know if that's modern or not. The distribution is reasonably up to
date, however.

> This is not an xmonad question per-se, but...
>
> In using xmonad my xterms get shrunken and expanded much more often
> than with a regular window manager. When this happens how do I prevent

> them from losing the text that was hidden by the shrinking? Is there
> some

losing text? does refresh help (^L)

> sort of config option - or should I be using an alternative terminal?

I use xterm, and it seems to work fairly well, 'cept that it sometimes
doesn't know its been resized. You're using a modern xterm?

-- Don

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Donald Bruce Stewart
timd:

> losing text:
>
> If I make the window narrower (via xmonad meta-h), the text on the right
> hand side is hidden
> When I make it wider (meta-l), the hidden text doesn't return, I just
> see whitespace.
>
> ^L clears the screen, and if I shift-pgup to scroll backwards, the
> entire line history has been truncated at the minimum width I narrowed
> to.

ah, I see. xterm's ^L clears :/ some apps are smarter and repaint.

Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?

-- Don

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Tim Docker

gnome-terminal seems to work ok, I just assumed that xterm would also,
given it was in the xmonad default config.

Thanks

> If I make the window narrower (via xmonad meta-h), the text on the
> right hand side is hidden When I make it wider (meta-l), the hidden
> text doesn't return, I just see whitespace.
>
> ^L clears the screen, and if I shift-pgup to scroll backwards, the
> entire line history has been truncated at the minimum width I narrowed

> to.

ah, I see. xterm's ^L clears :/ some apps are smarter and repaint.

Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?

-- Don

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

brad clawsie-2
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 11:59:24AM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?

try urxvt

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Marnix Klooster
Hi Tim,

I had the same problem with (Gentoo's) xterm, under larswm.  Now, my
xterm almost never changes size (my left-hand 'track' in larswm is
almost always the same size).  So I set the larswm 'tile_resize'
property to False, which apparently does not send a resize to a window
when re-tiling.  And if larswm must show it in a smaller space, it just
shows the available top-left part of that window.

It might be useful to have this kind of property in xmonad, somehow.

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix
--
Marnix Klooster | Software Engineer, ERP LN Enterprise Server | Infor |
(+31 or 0)342-428511 | [hidden email] | Infor Global

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Andy Gimblett
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:29:18PM -0700, brad clawsie wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 11:59:24AM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?
>
> try urxvt

Seconded.  I started using this when I tried out dwm for exactly these
reasons.  Then I went back to wmii where it wasn't an issue, but
carried on with urxvt because I liked it.  Now I'm using xmonad, I'm
glad of that.  :-)

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett
Computer Science Department
University of Wales Swansea
http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csandy/

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Stepan Golosunov
24.05.2007 ? 11:59:24 +1000 Donald Bruce Stewart ???????:

> timd:
> > losing text:
> >
> > If I make the window narrower (via xmonad meta-h), the text on the right
> > hand side is hidden
> > When I make it wider (meta-l), the hidden text doesn't return, I just
> > see whitespace.
> >
> > ^L clears the screen, and if I shift-pgup to scroll backwards, the
> > entire line history has been truncated at the minimum width I narrowed
> > to.
>
> ah, I see. xterm's ^L clears :/ some apps are smarter and repaint.
>
> Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?

rxvt-unicode rewraps lines on resizing. And it does not seem to have
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=347308.

[Xmonad] resizeing xterms

Donald Bruce Stewart
stepan:

> 24.05.2007 ? 11:59:24 +1000 Donald Bruce Stewart ???????:
> > timd:
> > > losing text:
> > >
> > > If I make the window narrower (via xmonad meta-h), the text on the right
> > > hand side is hidden
> > > When I make it wider (meta-l), the hidden text doesn't return, I just
> > > see whitespace.
> > >
> > > ^L clears the screen, and if I shift-pgup to scroll backwards, the
> > > entire line history has been truncated at the minimum width I narrowed
> > > to.
> >
> > ah, I see. xterm's ^L clears :/ some apps are smarter and repaint.
> >
> > Maybe people can recommend another terminal more friendly to resizing?
>
> rxvt-unicode rewraps lines on resizing. And it does not seem to have
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=347308.

I've summarised this thread, and the recommendation to use
urxvt/rxvt-unicode on the faq page on xmonad.org. Thanks guys

-- Don