[Xmonad] some basic xmonad questions

brad clawsie-2
i recently saw xmonad mentioned on reddit, but there was a quick
followup that it was not quite ready for public use. has this changed?

i am a current dwm user and generally love the tiling concept,
although i do not care for dwm's source code-based config system. will
xmonad support a plain-text conf file?

beyond being written in haskell, are there any compelling features in
xmonad (planned or to-date) to differentiate it?

how does xmonad compare to dwm with regards to system resrouce use?

thanks!
brad

[Xmonad] some basic xmonad questions

Donald Bruce Stewart
clawsie:
> i recently saw xmonad mentioned on reddit, but there was a quick
> followup that it was not quite ready for public use. has this changed?

It's ready for public use -- indeed all the developers are using it.

Currently we're in the middle of a 'freeze': just bug fixes till
release 0.1 comes out in a week or so.

> i am a current dwm user and generally love the tiling concept,
> although i do not care for dwm's source code-based config system. will
> xmonad support a plain-text conf file?

It uses a plain text Haskell config file, and supports dynamic reloading
of this file (mod-ctrl-shift-q).

That is, its a strongly statically typed config language, with first
class functions and data types, compilable to native code :-)

> beyond being written in haskell, are there any compelling features in
> xmonad (planned or to-date) to differentiate it?

Xinerama support, tiny code base (~400 lines), ease of modification,
QuickCheck properties for internal systems.

> how does xmonad compare to dwm with regards to system resrouce use?

Roughly identical, maybe 200k more heap. Note that we use more efficient
data structures internally (O(log n) maps in preference to lists).

    31747 dons       2    0 3432K 1892K sleep    poll     0:05  0.00% xmonad

Cheers,
  Don

[Xmonad] some basic xmonad questions

Stefan O'Rear
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:04:27PM -0700, brad clawsie wrote:
> i recently saw xmonad mentioned on reddit, but there was a quick
> followup that it was not quite ready for public use. has this changed?

Depends.  I haven't started hacking xmonad yet, but out of xmonad,
fvwm2, ion, ion3, ratpoison, sawfish, and twm I find xmonad by far the
easiest to use :)

> i am a current dwm user and generally love the tiling concept,
> although i do not care for dwm's source code-based config system. will
> xmonad support a plain-text conf file?

NEVER!!! :)

OK, it might.  but it really doesn't need one, haskell's syntax is
nice enough that the config file doesn't really smell like Haskell.
Here's a sample line:

 , ((modMask,               xK_t     ), spawn "sleep 0.1 ; exec /home/stefan/chvt 1")

> beyond being written in haskell, are there any compelling features in
> xmonad (planned or to-date) to differentiate it?

Much less code (~500 lines), Xinerama support, very active real-time
user support community in #haskell.

> how does xmonad compare to dwm with regards to system resrouce use?

The difference between C and Haskell is neglible compared to the
all-surpassing bloat of Xlib.  Spencer Janssen has received a SoC
grant to write a Haskell binding for the much-leaner second generation
XCB library, so chances are Xmonad will soon use much less resources
than dwm.

Stefan