ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Niklas Hambüchen
Hi GHC devs,

The ZuriHac 2018 conference will feature a GHC DevOps track (which
Andreas and I are coordinating), that will be all about fostering
contributions to GHC and learning to hack it. There will be a room or
two allocated at Zurihac for this purpose.

We hope to focus on roughly these topics:

* How to build GHC from source
* How to iterate on changes quickly
* What's the development workflow, how do I get my patch merged?
* How do specific parts of GHC work
* Extending GHC's test suite
* Improving automation, processes and release quality
* Documenting the undocumented

If we are successful, we will have more GHC contributers after ZuriHac
than before.

But we need your contributions to add content to the track!

Specifically, we're looking for ZuriHac attendees who could (help) run a
session in this track. Such as:

* Giving a talk about one of the above or related topics
* Hosting a hack session where participants of the track work together
on the GHC code base towards a specific goal
* Being around as a "GHC mentor" during open hack sessions, helping new
GHC contributors out

To give some examples, I could offer to give a talk on a recent effort
to improve Ctrl+C and signal handling in the RTS, and I would like to
run a hack session where we add performance regression tests based on
CPU instruction counters.

Please contact Andreas or me (on this list or privately) if you think
you could help in any of these directions!
If you're not sure, contact us anyway and tell us your idea!

Best,
Niklas and Andreas
ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track coordinators

On 07/04/2018 16.06, Oleg Grenrus wrote:
> I hope Hadrian topics qualify under "building GHC from source"?

Of course!

Re: ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Michal Terepeta
On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 3:34 PM Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GHC devs,

The ZuriHac 2018 conference will feature a GHC DevOps track (which
Andreas and I are coordinating), that will be all about fostering
contributions to GHC and learning to hack it. There will be a room or
two allocated at Zurihac for this purpose.
[...]
Please contact Andreas or me (on this list or privately) if you think
you could help in any of these directions!
If you're not sure, contact us anyway and tell us your idea!

Best,
Niklas and Andreas
ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track coordinators

Hi Niklas, Andreas,

I'd be happy to help. :) I know a bit about the backend (e.g., cmm level), but it might be tricky to find there some smaller/self-contained projects that would fit ZuriHac.
You've mentioned performance regression tests - maybe we could also work on improving nofib?

- Michal

Re: ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
Hi,

I'd also be happy to help. At the very least I can be around as a mentor, but
if I can find a suitable hask I may also host a hacking session.

Ömer

On 08/04/2018 15.01, Michal Terepeta wrote:
> I'd be happy to help. :) I know a bit about the backend (e.g., cmm level), but it might be tricky to find there some smaller/self-contained projects that would fit ZuriHac.

Hey Michal,

that's great. Is there a topic you would like to give a talk about, or a pet peeve task that you'd like to tick off with the help of new potential contributors in a hacking session?

Other topics that might be nice and that you might know about are "How do I add a new primop to GHC", handling all the way from the call on the Haskell side to emitting the code, or (if I remember that correctly) checking out that issue that GHC doesn't do certain optimisations yet (such as emitting less-than-full-word instructions e.g. for adding two Word8s, or lack of some strength reductions as in [1]).

> You've mentioned performance regression tests - maybe we could also work on improving nofib?

For sure!
Shall we run a hacking session together where we let attendees work on both performance regression tests and nofib? It seems these two fit well together.

Niklas

[1]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23315001/maximizing-haskell-loop-performance-with-ghc/23322255#23322255

Re: ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Niklas Hambüchen
Hey Ömer,

On 09/04/2018 06.56, Ömer Sinan Ağacan wrote:
> I'd also be happy to help. At the very least I can be around as a mentor, but
> if I can find a suitable hask I may also host a hacking session.

That's awesome!

Do you have a topic that you'd be especially interested in for running as a hacking session?

In case not, mentoring help would also be very appreciated for other hacking sessions.
The tentative topics we have right now are:

* Adding performance regressions tests
* Finding and fixing Hadrian issues
* Back-end/Codegen
* CI infrastructure
* General mentoring & working on any GHC topic

Best,
Niklas

Re: ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Michal Terepeta
Hi Niklas,

Sorry for slow reply - I'm totally snowed under at the moment.

I should be able to give some overview/examples of what are primops and how they go through the compilation pipeline. And talk a bit about the Cmm-level parts of GHC. But I won't have much time to prepare, so there might be fair amount of improvisation...

Are you coming to this week's HaskellerZ meetup? We could chat a bit more about this.

Cheers!

- Michal

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/04/2018 15.01, Michal Terepeta wrote:
> I'd be happy to help. :) I know a bit about the backend (e.g., cmm level), but it might be tricky to find there some smaller/self-contained projects that would fit ZuriHac.

Hey Michal,

that's great. Is there a topic you would like to give a talk about, or a pet peeve task that you'd like to tick off with the help of new potential contributors in a hacking session?

Other topics that might be nice and that you might know about are "How do I add a new primop to GHC", handling all the way from the call on the Haskell side to emitting the code, or (if I remember that correctly) checking out that issue that GHC doesn't do certain optimisations yet (such as emitting less-than-full-word instructions e.g. for adding two Word8s, or lack of some strength reductions as in [1]).

> You've mentioned performance regression tests - maybe we could also work on improving nofib?

For sure!
Shall we run a hacking session together where we let attendees work on both performance regression tests and nofib? It seems these two fit well together.

Niklas

[1]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23315001/maximizing-haskell-loop-performance-with-ghc/23322255#23322255

Re: ZuriHac 2018 GHC DevOps track - Request for Contributions

Niklas Hambüchen
Hey Michal,

sorry for the late reply on my side too, I had a surprisingly busy weekend.

I think what you propose is great, let's do it and allocate you a talk slot.
Do you have a preferred time?

I think having some improvisation in it is totally OK:
After all, we're aiming at GHC beginners, so the point of the talks is to get them motivated and some ideas what topics they could work on.

Best,
Niklas