ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Andreas Herrmann
Dear GHC devs,

This year's ZuriHac 2019 [1] will again feature a dedicated GHC track to foster contributions to GHC and teach newcomers how to participate in GHC's development. It was a great success last year, and we hope it will be a great success this year as well.

For that we need your help: We would like to invite you to organize a session in the GHC track. This could be in form of a presentation, a workshop, or a hack session with topics centered around GHC.

For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
- Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
- PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
- Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
- Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann

Other possible subjects could be around:
- Improving documentation
- Extending GHC's test-suite
- General GHC development workflows
- The inner workings of some aspect of GHC

Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.

Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.

Best,
Niklas and Andreas
ZuriHac 2019 GHC track coordinators

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Richard Eisenberg-5
I'm also happy to lead a session on GHC. I could perhaps give a high-level overview (no slides, just whiteboard & projected code) on the GHC compilation pipeline. I don't expect it would be terribly hands-on, though I would hope to get lots of questions from the audience. This might most easily come before Simon's presentation, which would doubtless be more detailed.

I'm happy to assist others in their hacking efforts, too.

I'll be around Fri - Sun.

Richard

On Apr 23, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Siddharth Bhat
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm putting this out there at any rate:

I'd be interested in a deep dive into STG and related shenanigans "within the compiler", since my understanding is that a decent amount
has changed since the last paper on STG (eval/apply). This is out of an interest in understanding STG as-it-lives within GHC so I can get back to
simplexhc(https://github.com/bollu/simplexhc), a pet project of mine.

I meant to take some time and read through the GHC internals in this area, but college coursework does not really facilitate deep meditation
about the GHC codebase ;)

Would someone be willing to help with this?

Thanks,
~Siddharth

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:13 PM Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
I'll also be there and I'd be happy to help with general GHC development or more
specifically RTS or STG parts of the compiler.

Ömer

Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>, 30 Nis 2019 Sal, 19:43 tarihinde
şunu yazdı:

> I'm also happy to lead a session on GHC. I could perhaps give a high-level overview (no slides, just whiteboard & projected code) on the GHC compilation pipeline. I don't expect it would be terribly hands-on, though I would hope to get lots of questions from the audience. This might most easily come before Simon's presentation, which would doubtless be more detailed.
>
> I'm happy to assist others in their hacking efforts, too.
>
> I'll be around Fri - Sun.
>
> Richard
>
> On Apr 23, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear GHC devs,
>
> This year's ZuriHac 2019 [1] will again feature a dedicated GHC track to foster contributions to GHC and teach newcomers how to participate in GHC's development. It was a great success last year, and we hope it will be a great success this year as well.
>
> For that we need your help: We would like to invite you to organize a session in the GHC track. This could be in form of a presentation, a workshop, or a hack session with topics centered around GHC.
>
> For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
> - Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
> - PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
> - Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
> - Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann
>
> Other possible subjects could be around:
> - Improving documentation
> - Extending GHC's test-suite
> - General GHC development workflows
> - The inner workings of some aspect of GHC
>
> Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.
>
> Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.
>
> Best,
> Niklas and Andreas
> ZuriHac 2019 GHC track coordinators
>
> [1]: https://zfoh.ch/zurihac2019/

RE: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

GHC - devs mailing list

I’d be happy to help with anything GHC-related.   I’ll take the advice of the ZuriHac organisers (Jesper, Andreas) about what would be best; but probably mail on this list would be a good way to gather ideas

Simon

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Csaba Hruska
I'd be interested in the STG, RTS, PrimOp semantics. It would be helpful for my ghc-grin project, which is a (work in progress) whole program optimizer backend for GHC.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:51 AM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’d be happy to help with anything GHC-related.   I’ll take the advice of the ZuriHac organisers (Jesper, Andreas) about what would be best; but probably mail on this list would be a good way to gather ideas

Simon

RE: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Andrey Mokhov

Hi all,

I am happy to help with Hadrian, perhaps giving an overview of the codebase and a quick demo covering typical use-cases. I’ll generally be around to help with any build related issues, Hadrian hacking, etc.

Note: I’m attending full days on Friday and Saturday, but on Sunday I may be available only in the morning.

Cheers,

Andrey

=======================================

[...]

Matthew Pickering
Andreas/Niklas,

I can do a talk/demo of using tools such as `ghc-artefact-nix`,
`haskell-ide-engine`, `ghcid`, GHC's debugger whilst working on GHC.
Could you schedule in a 30 minute slot for that please if you think it
would be of interest.

Cheers,

Matt

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:52 PM Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear GHC devs,
>
> This year's ZuriHac 2019 [1] will again feature a dedicated GHC track to foster contributions to GHC and teach newcomers how to participate in GHC's development. It was a great success last year, and we hope it will be a great success this year as well.
>
> For that we need your help: We would like to invite you to organize a session in the GHC track. This could be in form of a presentation, a workshop, or a hack session with topics centered around GHC.
>
> For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
> - Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
> - PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
> - Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
> - Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann
>
> Other possible subjects could be around:
> - Improving documentation
> - Extending GHC's test-suite
> - General GHC development workflows
> - The inner workings of some aspect of GHC
>
> Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.
>
> Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.
>
> Best,
> Niklas and Andreas
> ZuriHac 2019 GHC track coordinators
>
> [1]: https://zfoh.ch/zurihac2019/

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Ben Gamari-2
Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear GHC devs,

I've been rather quiet on this since it's been unclear whether I will
be able to make it to ZuriHac this year. While I would love to be there
(and perhaps do some hiking after), at this point chances are
unfortunately looking rather slim; it looks like I may have contracted
Lyme disease so international traveling likely isn't a good idea in the
next couple of months.

I can, however, try to be around on IRC as festivities are underway.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Simon Hafner
I have a ~ 30 minute talk which covers my GHC proposal (NoToplevelFieldSelectors), as well as parts of the renamer. I could hold that at any point, if there's still time slots over.

Am Di., 28. Mai 2019 um 23:37 Uhr schrieb Ben Gamari <[hidden email]>:
Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear GHC devs,

I've been rather quiet on this since it's been unclear whether I will
be able to make it to ZuriHac this year. While I would love to be there
(and perhaps do some hiking after), at this point chances are
unfortunately looking rather slim; it looks like I may have contracted
Lyme disease so international traveling likely isn't a good idea in the
next couple of months.

I can, however, try to be around on IRC as festivities are underway.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Sven Tennie
Hey Matthew,

Could you do me a big favor and record/document this session? Unfortunately I won't make it to the ZuriHac, but I'm highly interested in improving my GHC workflow.

Currently I'm working in a cycle of:

1. read code in haskell-code-explorer [1]
2. modify it in Emacs (currently only syntax highlighting, no type checking)
3. look at ghcid if the types match
4. goto 1 or use hadrian to build

I guess this may be improved by the haskell-ide-engine.

Of course would it be amazing, if all talks could be recorded.

BTW - If any of the other readers has a better setup, please share. I found very little about IDE setup for GHC in the Wiki or Internet and the "standard" dante or intero approaches don't seem to work, at least not out of the box.

Best regards,

Sven

Am Sa., 25. Mai 2019 um 13:08 Uhr schrieb Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]>:
Andreas/Niklas,

I can do a talk/demo of using tools such as `ghc-artefact-nix`,
`haskell-ide-engine`, `ghcid`, GHC's debugger whilst working on GHC.
Could you schedule in a 30 minute slot for that please if you think it
would be of interest.

Cheers,

Matt

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:52 PM Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear GHC devs,
>
> This year's ZuriHac 2019 [1] will again feature a dedicated GHC track to foster contributions to GHC and teach newcomers how to participate in GHC's development. It was a great success last year, and we hope it will be a great success this year as well.
>
> For that we need your help: We would like to invite you to organize a session in the GHC track. This could be in form of a presentation, a workshop, or a hack session with topics centered around GHC.
>
> For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
> - Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
> - PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
> - Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
> - Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann
>
> Other possible subjects could be around:
> - Improving documentation
> - Extending GHC's test-suite
> - General GHC development workflows
> - The inner workings of some aspect of GHC
>
> Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.
>
> Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.
>
> Best,
> Niklas and Andreas
> ZuriHac 2019 GHC track coordinators
>
> [1]: https://zfoh.ch/zurihac2019/

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Matthew Pickering
I am writing a blog post concurrently with preparing my talk so I will
post that afterwards.

I would have expected `dante` to work with the `./hadrian/ghci.sh`
target. What goes wrong there?

The haskell-ide-engine support lives on a branch, which you are
welcome to try, but comes with no guarantees. It is more than a proof
of concept but less than fully production ready.

Matt

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:29 AM Sven Tennie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Matthew,
>
> Could you do me a big favor and record/document this session? Unfortunately I won't make it to the ZuriHac, but I'm highly interested in improving my GHC workflow.
>
> Currently I'm working in a cycle of:
>
> 1. read code in haskell-code-explorer [1]
> 2. modify it in Emacs (currently only syntax highlighting, no type checking)
> 3. look at ghcid if the types match
> 4. goto 1 or use hadrian to build
>
> I guess this may be improved by the haskell-ide-engine.
>
> Of course would it be amazing, if all talks could be recorded.
>
> BTW - If any of the other readers has a better setup, please share. I found very little about IDE setup for GHC in the Wiki or Internet and the "standard" dante or intero approaches don't seem to work, at least not out of the box.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sven
>
> [1] - https://haskell-code-explorer.mfix.io/package/ghc-8.6.1/
>
> Am Sa., 25. Mai 2019 um 13:08 Uhr schrieb Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Andreas/Niklas,
>>
>> I can do a talk/demo of using tools such as `ghc-artefact-nix`,
>> `haskell-ide-engine`, `ghcid`, GHC's debugger whilst working on GHC.
>> Could you schedule in a 30 minute slot for that please if you think it
>> would be of interest.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:52 PM Andreas Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear GHC devs,
>> >
>> > This year's ZuriHac 2019 [1] will again feature a dedicated GHC track to foster contributions to GHC and teach newcomers how to participate in GHC's development. It was a great success last year, and we hope it will be a great success this year as well.
>> >
>> > For that we need your help: We would like to invite you to organize a session in the GHC track. This could be in form of a presentation, a workshop, or a hack session with topics centered around GHC.
>> >
>> > For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
>> > - Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
>> > - PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
>> > - Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
>> > - Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann
>> >
>> > Other possible subjects could be around:
>> > - Improving documentation
>> > - Extending GHC's test-suite
>> > - General GHC development workflows
>> > - The inner workings of some aspect of GHC
>> >
>> > Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.
>> >
>> > Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Niklas and Andreas
>> > ZuriHac 2019 GHC track coordinators
>> >
>> > [1]: https://zfoh.ch/zurihac2019/

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Bryan Richter-2
Re haskell-ide-engine: I've been meaning to try it out, so I'm interested in making progress on that branch this weekend, if someone can show me the ropes and suggest some goals.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 10.18 Matthew Pickering, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > For some inspiration, these are the subjects from last year's track:
>> > - Continuous Integration / DevOps, by Manual Chakravarty
>> > - PrimOps / PrimTypes, by Michal Terepeta
>> > - Performance Regression Tests, by Niklas Hambüchen
>> > - Newcomers Tutorial, by Andreas Herrmann
>> >
>> > Other possible subjects could be around:
>> > - Improving documentation
>> > - Extending GHC's test-suite
>> > - General GHC development workflows
>> > - The inner workings of some aspect of GHC
>> >
>> > Aside from preparing a session, we are also looking for volunteers to be around as GHC mentors during hack sessions to help out newcomers.
>> >
>> > Please let us know if you'd be interested in leading a session, or being a mentor, or helping out with this track in any other way. You can contact either Niklas or myself, on this list or by private message.

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

GHC - devs mailing list

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:11 PM Simon Hafner <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a ~ 30 minute talk which covers my GHC proposal (NoToplevelFieldSelectors), as well as parts of the renamer. I could hold that at any point, if there's still time slots over.

That would be awesome. I sure hope there is!

--
Shayne Fletcher
Language Engineer / +1 917 699 7663

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Neil Mitchell
If you're interested in the Haskell IDE story we've organised a
specific room for that. I'm hoping Matthew will be able to spend some
time in there too.

Thanks, Neil

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:29 PM Bryan Richter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Re haskell-ide-engine: I've been meaning to try it out, so I'm interested in making progress on that branch this weekend, if someone can show me the ropes and suggest some goals.
>
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 10.18 Matthew Pickering, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am writing a blog post concurrently with preparing my talk so I will
>> post that afterwards.
>>
>> I would have expected `dante` to work with the `./hadrian/ghci.sh`
>> target. What goes wrong there?
>>
>> The haskell-ide-engine support lives on a branch, which you are
>> welcome to try, but comes with no guarantees. It is more than a proof
>> of concept but less than fully production ready.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:29 AM Sven Tennie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey Matthew,
>> >
>> > Could you do me a big favor and record/document this session? Unfortunately I won't make it to the ZuriHac, but I'm highly interested in improving my GHC workflow.
>> >
>> > Currently I'm working in a cycle of:
>> >
>> > 1. read code in haskell-code-explorer [1]
>> > 2. modify it in Emacs (currently only syntax highlighting, no type checking)
>> > 3. look at ghcid if the types match
>> > 4. goto 1 or use hadrian to build
>> >
>> > I guess this may be improved by the haskell-ide-engine.
>> >
>> > Of course would it be amazing, if all talks could be recorded.
>> >
>> > BTW - If any of the other readers has a better setup, please share. I found very little about IDE setup for GHC in the Wiki or Internet and the "standard" dante or intero approaches don't seem to work, at least not out of the box.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Sven
>> >
>> > [1] - https://haskell-code-explorer.mfix.io/package/ghc-8.6.1/

Re: ZuriHac 2019 - GHC Track

Andreas Herrmann
Dear GHC devs,

I'm happy to announce that thanks to your help we will have five very interesting talks at the GHC track at this year's ZuriHac. The sessions will be held in the Aula and will be recorded. The schedule is available on the ZuriHac website: https://zfoh.ch/zurihac2019/#ghc-track

Next to the talks we've also reserved the joined rooms 1.219 & 1.221 for hacking on GHC. Whether you're interested in contributing to GHC or learning more about its internals, whether you're experienced and happy to share your knowledge or new to GHC and would like to learn from others, you're welcome to join us in those rooms.

Join us in the #ghc channel on https://slack.zurihac.info/. We'll be communicating updates regarding the GHC track on that channel. And you're invited to discuss GHC related topics, ask questions, and provide answers on that channel.

Best wishes and see you at ZuriHac,

Andreas