about installation of Haskell

love_pku

Dear Sir or Madam::

  Sorry to trouble you!

  I am a beginner of Haskell and I just run into problems to install it. So I hope if you can tell me which version of Haskell should I   use for Ubuntu 8.04 operating system..

  Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

                                                Yours juan
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

about installation of Haskell

aditya siram-2
You can use GHC 6.10.4 [1] and Haskell Platform [2]. Instructions on
how to install Haskell Platform on Ubuntu are available at its home
page [3].

What problems are you currently having?

-deech

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.10.4/ghc-6.10.4-i386-unknown-linux-n.tar.bz2
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/2009.2.0.2/haskell-platform-2009.2.0.2.tar.gz
[3] http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

On 3/16/10, love_pku <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam::
>
>   Sorry to trouble you!
>
>   I am a beginner of Haskell and I just run into problems to install it. So
> I hope if you can tell me which version of Haskell should I   use for Ubuntu
> 8.04 operating system..
>
>   Thank you very much!
>
> Best wishes,
>

>                                                 Yours juan

about installation of Haskell

Tim Perry-2
I'd recommend ghc, not because its the best distribution, but because
its the only one I've used.

Here are the simplest directions I
could find that seemed correct:
http://www.mickinator.com/wordpress/?p=31

I'm sure there are directions for hugs, but I haven't used hugs on Ubuntu.

Good luck,
Tim

________________________________

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

about installation of Haskell

Daniel Fischer-4
Am Mittwoch 17 M?rz 2010 03:03:30 schrieb love_pku:
> Dear Sir or Madam::
>
>   Sorry to trouble you!
>
>   I am a beginner of Haskell and I just run into problems to install it.
> So I hope if you can tell me which version of Haskell should I   use for
> Ubuntu 8.04 operating system..

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, but

apt-get install libghc6*

or something like that should get you started (perhaps apt-search haskell
first - or was it apt-get search?).
Once you have GHC installed, you can start.

You'll probably want cabal-install to easily get and build Haskell
libraries, so go to
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install
and download a tarball. Depending on the GHC version apt-get gives you,
you'd want different versions of cabal-install.
6.12.1 -> 0.8.0,
6.10.* -> 0.6.*,
6.8.* -> 0.5.*,
I think. (If it's 6.8.*, maybe you want to get a newer GHC from
http://haskell.org/ghc/download.html)
Run 'ghc-pkg list' to find out which version of the Cabal (uppercase C)
library came with your GHC, and search the cabal-install packages for
corresponding constraints on Cabal.
Download that version, unpack it. In the unpacked directory, run
bootstrap.sh and you should have everything you need to start happy Haskell
hacking :D

>   Thank you very much!
>
> Best wishes,
>

>                                                 Yours juan

about installation of Haskell

Isaac Dupree-3
On 03/16/10 23:39, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 17 M?rz 2010 03:03:30 schrieb love_pku:
>> Dear Sir or Madam::
>>
>>    Sorry to trouble you!
>>
>>    I am a beginner of Haskell and I just run into problems to install it.
>> So I hope if you can tell me which version of Haskell should I   use for
>> Ubuntu 8.04 operating system..
>
> I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, but
>
> apt-get install libghc6*
>
> or something like that should get you started (perhaps apt-search haskell
> first - or was it apt-get search?).
> Once you have GHC installed, you can start.

Use aptitude, not apt-* ... aptitude search ghc? (the compiler itself is
ghc6, and the version in Hardy 8.04 is 6.8.2, which is sadly a bit old.
Do you want to wait a month until Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 comes out, and
upgrade?)

> I think. (If it's 6.8.*, maybe you want to get a newer GHC from
> http://haskell.org/ghc/download.html)

If you do, er.. You might want to install it in your home-directory
somewhere, and put it in your PATH, and uninstall any GHC you installed
via Ubuntu, and... basically it's rather a nuisance, though not as bad
as a few years ago.  You may be able to get by just fine with Ubuntu
8.04's packages, for your learning process.

-Isaac