any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Dennis Raddle
I'm thinking of using cloud computing services for running my CPU-intensive parallel Haskell code, in order to get results faster. Instead of buying a faster computer, I would take advantage of existing services.

Note that my budget is small, so I need something that doesn't have a large minimum charge. I'm thinking $10 - 30 per month.

Are there any cloud services like that that run Haskell?

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Sang Hak (Andy) Chun

Hey Dennis,

I'm not aware of any cloud services that offer Haskell-specific services; however, you should be fine on many mainstream cloud services (AWS, Azure, etc.) as long as you write your program so that it uses multiple threads/CUDA/whatever. There's nothing special about programs that come out of GHC.

You may be interested in packaging your program in a Nix environment if you intend to run your program across many different environments.

Regards,
Andy
On 7/16/2017 1:20 PM, Dennis Raddle wrote:
I'm thinking of using cloud computing services for running my CPU-intensive parallel Haskell code, in order to get results faster. Instead of buying a faster computer, I would take advantage of existing services.

Note that my budget is small, so I need something that doesn't have a large minimum charge. I'm thinking $10 - 30 per month.

Are there any cloud services like that that run Haskell?

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Dennis Raddle
Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them, to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

David Turner-2
On 17 Jul 2017 06:49, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them, to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.

Depending on your budget, on AWS you can rent a machine from the miniscule t2.nano all the way up to the 128-core x1.32xlarge, with various tradeoffs on memory vs CPU vs storage vs ... in between. All can run Haskell programs. There's also various options in Haskell for distributing your computation across multiple machines, if that sounds useful.

A good place to start is the pricing page which gives you a good overview of the options.

Other cloud providers are available, of course.

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Lyndon Maydwell
I heard about https://www.clever-cloud.com/ providing Haskell app support.

Didn't get to try it out though.

Warm Regards,

 - Lyndon

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM, David Turner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2017 06:49, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot
> of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use
> only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them,
> to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.
>

> Depending on your budget, on AWS you can rent a machine from the miniscule
> t2.nano all the way up to the 128-core x1.32xlarge, with various tradeoffs
> on memory vs CPU vs storage vs ... in between. All can run Haskell programs.
> There's also various options in Haskell for distributing your computation
> across multiple machines, if that sounds useful.
>
> A good place to start is the pricing page which gives you a good overview of
> the options.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
>
> Other cloud providers are available, of course.
>
> Cheers,

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Imants Cekusins
check these folks too:

https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator/
pretty good choice

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Dennis Raddle
Neat, I like that they have a Haskell environment.

But, if I go with Google or Amazon, just curious about how I would create an app with my Mac, as they don't provide a macOS environment. Can I cross-compile for Windows or Linux on my Mac? Or, should I run a Windows virtual machine and build my app in that environment? (Not my favorite choice, as I would end up working in Windows most of the time.)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2017 06:49, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot
> of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use
> only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them,
> to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.
>

> Depending on your budget, on AWS you can rent a machine from the miniscule
> t2.nano all the way up to the 128-core x1.32xlarge, with various tradeoffs
> on memory vs CPU vs storage vs ... in between. All can run Haskell programs.
> There's also various options in Haskell for distributing your computation
> across multiple machines, if that sounds useful.
>
> A good place to start is the pricing page which gives you a good overview of
> the options.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
>
> Other cloud providers are available, of course.
>
> Cheers,

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Damian

On Jul 18, 2017 22:38, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat, I like that they have a Haskell environment.

But, if I go with Google or Amazon, just curious about how I would create an app with my Mac, as they don't provide a macOS environment. Can I cross-compile for Windows or Linux on my Mac? Or, should I run a Windows virtual machine and build my app in that environment? (Not my favorite choice, as I would end up working in Windows most of the time.)
I'd use docker and run a docker container. Stack has nice support for building them.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2017 06:49, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot
> of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use
> only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them,
> to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.
>

> Depending on your budget, on AWS you can rent a machine from the miniscule
> t2.nano all the way up to the 128-core x1.32xlarge, with various tradeoffs
> on memory vs CPU vs storage vs ... in between. All can run Haskell programs.
> There's also various options in Haskell for distributing your computation
> across multiple machines, if that sounds useful.
>
> A good place to start is the pricing page which gives you a good overview of
> the options.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
>
> Other cloud providers are available, of course.
>
> Cheers,

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Chris Smith-31
Why not do your production builds and testing on a virtual machine from your cloud provider, configured from the same OS, image, etc. as your production host?  Anything else seems like asking for trouble.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2017 06:49, "Dennis Raddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. I guess I don't know much about cloud services. Will they run a lot
> of threads in parallel? Or do they run my program on only one CPU and/or use
> only the number of cores in one processor? That's the point of using them,
> to run more threads in parallel than I have cores on my MacBook.
>

> Depending on your budget, on AWS you can rent a machine from the miniscule
> t2.nano all the way up to the 128-core x1.32xlarge, with various tradeoffs
> on memory vs CPU vs storage vs ... in between. All can run Haskell programs.
> There's also various options in Haskell for distributing your computation
> across multiple machines, if that sounds useful.
>
> A good place to start is the pricing page which gives you a good overview of
> the options.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
>
> Other cloud providers are available, of course.
>
> Cheers,

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Dennis Raddle
Makes sense.​ Thanks

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Mark Fine
The performance might not be what you're looking for (there are some more performant configurations but they might not be cost effective), but it's pretty easy to get a stack project running on Heroku - this script took ~3 minutes (dominated by installing GHC on the first push) to get a simple worker running in the cloud:

Sample run:

~ $ stack new worker https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mfine/b3dd21cfd03d1775084780f955cdc784/raw/4779a2ea55ac29b469a98eedfba35f74ba7785dc/worker.hsfiles
Downloading template "https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mfine/b3dd21cfd03d1775084780f955cdc784/raw/522fc42d9c7a46e26673a73fae629c92c28da648/worker.hsfiles" to create project "worker" in worker/ ...
Looking for .cabal or package.yaml files to use to init the project.
Using cabal packages:
- worker/worker.cabal

Selecting the best among 10 snapshots...

* Matches lts-8.23

Selected resolver: lts-8.23
Initialising configuration using resolver: lts-8.23
Total number of user packages considered: 1
Writing configuration to file: worker/stack.yaml
All done.
~ $
~ $ cd worker
~/worker $
~/worker $ git init .
Initialized empty Git repository in ~/worker/.git/
~/worker $
~/worker $ git add .
~/worker $
~/worker $ git commit -m "initial"
[master (root-commit) a19a152] initial
 4 files changed, 84 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Procfile
 create mode 100644 main.hs
 create mode 100644 stack.yaml
 create mode 100644 worker.cabal
~/worker $
~/worker $ heroku create --buildpack https://github.com/mfine/heroku-buildpack-stack.git
Creating app... done, ⬢ serene-earth-29336
Setting buildpack to https://github.com/mfine/heroku-buildpack-stack.git... done
https://serene-earth-29336.herokuapp.com/ | https://git.heroku.com/serene-earth-29336.git
~/worker $
~/worker $ git push heroku master
Counting objects: 6, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
Writing objects: 100% (6/6), 1.61 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 6 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Compressing source files... done.
remote: Building source:
remote:
remote: -----> Haskell app detected
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:20 Starting...
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:20 Exporting config vars
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:20 Installing libgmp-6.0.0a into cache
remote: ######################################################################## 100.0%
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:20 Restoring 6.0.0a files from cache
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:20 Downloading stack-1.4.0
remote: ######################################################################## 100.0%
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:21 Restoring stack-1.4.0
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:21 Substituting stack vars
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_02:58:21 Running stack
remote: Downloading lts-8.23 build plan ...
remote: Downloaded lts-8.23 build plan.
remote: Updating package index Hackage (mirrored at https://s3.amazonaws.com/hackage.fpcomplete.com/) ...
remote: Selected mirror https://s3.amazonaws.com/hackage.fpcomplete.com/
remote: Downloading root
remote: Selected mirror https://s3.amazonaws.com/hackage.fpcomplete.com/
remote: Downloading timestamp
remote: Downloading snapshot
remote: Downloading mirrors
remote: Cannot update index (no local copy)
remote: Downloading index
remote: Updated package list downloaded
remote: Populating index cache ...
remote: Populated index cache.
remote: Preparing to install GHC to an isolated location.
remote: This will not interfere with any system-level installation.
remote: Preparing to download ghc-8.0.2 ...
remote: ghc-8.0.2: download has begun
remote: ghc-8.0.2:   27.84 MiB / 107.55 MiB ( 25.89%) downloaded...
remote: ghc-8.0.2:   54.10 MiB / 107.55 MiB ( 50.31%) downloaded...
remote: ghc-8.0.2:   77.99 MiB / 107.55 MiB ( 72.52%) downloaded...
remote: ghc-8.0.2:  101.87 MiB / 107.55 MiB ( 94.72%) downloaded...
remote: ghc-8.0.2:  107.55 MiB / 107.55 MiB (100.00%) downloaded...
remote: Downloaded ghc-8.0.2.
remote: Unpacking GHC into /app/tmp/cache/.stack/programs/x86_64-linux/ghc-8.0.2.temp/ ...
remote: Configuring GHC ...
remote: Installing GHC ...
remote: Installed GHC.
remote: stack will use a sandboxed GHC it installed
remote: For more information on paths, see 'stack path' and 'stack exec env'
remote: To use this GHC and packages outside of a project, consider using:
remote: stack ghc, stack ghci, stack runghc, or stack exec
remote: [1 of 2] Compiling Main             ( /app/tmp/cache/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-mPHDZzAJ.hs, /app/tmp/cache/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-mPHDZzAJ.o )
remote: [2 of 2] Compiling StackSetupShim   ( /app/tmp/cache/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-shim-mPHDZzAJ.hs, /app/tmp/cache/.stack/setup-exe-src/setup-shim-mPHDZzAJ.o )
remote: Linking /app/tmp/cache/.stack/setup-exe-cache/x86_64-linux/tmp-Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_1.24.2.0_ghc-8.0.2 ...
remote: worker-0.1.0.0: configure (exe)
remote: Configuring worker-0.1.0.0...
remote: worker-0.1.0.0: build (exe)
remote: Preprocessing executable 'worker' for worker-0.1.0.0...
remote: [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( main.hs, .stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.2.0/build/worker/worker-tmp/Main.o )
remote: Linking .stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.2.0/build/worker/worker ...
remote: worker-0.1.0.0: copy/register
remote: Installing executable(s) in
remote: /app/.stack-work/install/x86_64-linux/lts-8.23/8.0.2/bin
remote: Copying from /app/.stack-work/install/x86_64-linux/lts-8.23/8.0.2/bin/worker to /app/.local/bin/worker
remote:
remote: Copied executables to /app/.local/bin:
remote: - worker
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_03:01:26 Making stack binaries available
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_03:01:26 Caching .stack-work
remote: -----> 2017-07-19_03:01:26 Finished!
remote: -----> Discovering process types
remote:        Procfile declares types -> worker
remote:
remote: -----> Compressing...
remote:        Done: 1.5M
remote: -----> Launching...
remote:        Released v3
remote:        https://serene-earth-29336.herokuapp.com/ deployed to Heroku
remote:
remote: Verifying deploy... done.
To https://git.heroku.com/serene-earth-29336.git
 * [new branch]      master -> master
~/worker $
~/worker $ heroku ps:scale worker+1
Scaling dynos... done, now running worker at 1:Free
~/worker $
~/worker $ heroku logs -t
2017-07-19T03:07:19.755903+00:00 heroku[worker.1]: Starting process with command `worker`
2017-07-19T03:07:20.553903+00:00 heroku[worker.1]: State changed from starting to up
2017-07-19T03:07:22.393957+00:00 app[worker.1]: Hello!
2017-07-19T03:07:23.397139+00:00 app[worker.1]: Hello!
2017-07-19T03:07:24.398803+00:00 app[worker.1]: Hello!
2017-07-19T03:07:25.400211+00:00 app[worker.1]: Hello!
2017-07-19T03:07:26.405199+00:00 app[worker.1]: Hello!

Mark

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Dennis Raddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm thinking of using cloud computing services for running my CPU-intensive parallel Haskell code, in order to get results faster. Instead of buying a faster computer, I would take advantage of existing services.

Note that my budget is small, so I need something that doesn't have a large minimum charge. I'm thinking $10 - 30 per month.

Are there any cloud services like that that run Haskell?

Re: any cloud computing services for running Haskell?

Bram Neijt
Some links I like to to add to the thread:

AWS lambda
https://github.com/abailly/aws-lambda-haskell

Google Cloud functions might be an option using GHCJS

Heroku has been around for a long time:
https://www.christopherbiscardi.com/2014/2/2/deploy-haskells-snap-on-heroku/

Greetings,

Bram