build testsuite or not?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

build testsuite or not?

Jens Petersen-4
Okay I have one more question about my packaging of ghc for Fedora.

For long I always build the testsuite for every release perf build on all archs
(for an example see the build.log links on
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1086491).

Is this a useful meaningful thing to do?

I thought it good to have it as a reference for ghc builds on Fedora
and EPEL, but it does add a considerable amount of time to builds
(specially for the slower ARM arch's)  so it is not without cost.

So I am wondering how useful it is to continue running the testsuite
for each "production" build I do.
What do others and other distros, etc do for final releases?

Thanks, Jens
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: build testsuite or not?

Ben Gamari-3
Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Okay I have one more question about my packaging of ghc for Fedora.
>
> For long I always build the testsuite for every release perf build on all archs
> (for an example see the build.log links on
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1086491).
>
> Is this a useful meaningful thing to do?
>
> I thought it good to have it as a reference for ghc builds on Fedora
> and EPEL, but it does add a considerable amount of time to builds
> (specially for the slower ARM arch's)  so it is not without cost.
>
At the moment I wouold say that our testsuite is unreliable enough in
non-validate configurations that this has relatively little value. This
is something we are working on fixing and hopefully things will be more
reliable in the future.

I generally validate the tree prior to cutting a release. This of course
won't catch environment- and distribution-specific issues, but I think
it's a pretty good proxy for correctness.

In other words, unlesss you find yourself looking at the testsuite
output yourself, I think it would be fine to disable it.

> So I am wondering how useful it is to continue running the testsuite
> for each "production" build I do.
> What do others and other distros, etc do for final releases?
>
As far as I know neither Debian nor NixOS run GHC's testsuite.

Cheers,

- Ben


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: build testsuite or not?

Jens Petersen-4
Thanks, Ben for your helpful reply.

Okay then I think I will disable the testsuite for most Fedora builds then.
I never really look at them these days any more to be honest.

Cheers, Jens


On 31 May 2018 at 00:32, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Okay I have one more question about my packaging of ghc for Fedora.
>>
>> For long I always build the testsuite for every release perf build on all archs
>> (for an example see the build.log links on
>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1086491).
>>
>> Is this a useful meaningful thing to do?
>>
>> I thought it good to have it as a reference for ghc builds on Fedora
>> and EPEL, but it does add a considerable amount of time to builds
>> (specially for the slower ARM arch's)  so it is not without cost.
>>
> At the moment I wouold say that our testsuite is unreliable enough in
> non-validate configurations that this has relatively little value. This
> is something we are working on fixing and hopefully things will be more
> reliable in the future.
>
> I generally validate the tree prior to cutting a release. This of course
> won't catch environment- and distribution-specific issues, but I think
> it's a pretty good proxy for correctness.
>
> In other words, unlesss you find yourself looking at the testsuite
> output yourself, I think it would be fine to disable it.
>
>> So I am wondering how useful it is to continue running the testsuite
>> for each "production" build I do.
>> What do others and other distros, etc do for final releases?
>>
> As far as I know neither Debian nor NixOS run GHC's testsuite.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs