cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

Yitzchak Gale
I installed the 64-bit version of the recent
Haskell Platform release on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library

As always in the past, and as cabal install itself
has often suggested, the first thing I did was to
run 'cabal install cabal-install' to make sure I
have the latest version.

To my surprise, cabal install began installing
an *older* version of itself, together with older
versions of dependent libraries to support that.

I didn't really mind, because I could always just
remove the symlink to the older-versioned cabal
executable when it finished, so I let it run its course
to avoid leaving a mess by aborting. However, after
a while, the installation process failed with the message:

Downloading time-1.1.4...
<command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.10.1.0:
    Cabal-1.10.1.0-6289829715de7a109def1f0c286a5dc4 is unusable due to
missing or recursive dependencies:
      process-1.0.1.5-3e412eee765d141be15796c32f22f7a3

Note that process-1.0.1.5 and Cabal-1.10.1.0 are already
installed globally as part of the platform. Another copy of
process-1.0.1.5 had been installed in userland during this
problematic run. Cabal-1.8.0.6 was also installed in userland.

Why did cabal try to downgrade itself to an older version,
and why did it get so confused while trying to do so?

Thanks,
Yitz

Re: cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

Duncan Coutts-4
On 15 March 2011 08:24, Yitzchak Gale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed the 64-bit version of the recent
> Haskell Platform release on Mac OS X 10.6.6.
>
> $ cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.10.2
> using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library
>
> As always in the past, and as cabal install itself
> has often suggested, the first thing I did was to
> run 'cabal install cabal-install' to make sure I
> have the latest version.
>
> To my surprise, cabal install began installing
> an *older* version of itself, together with older
> versions of dependent libraries to support that.

This is because the "default" version of cabal-install on hackage
remains at 0.8.x. As soon as I bump this to 0.10.x then all existing
users will get prompted to upgrade. I'd like a bit of confidence that
this will not break everyone's existing setup, so I've not done it
yet.

> Downloading time-1.1.4...
> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.10.1.0:
>    Cabal-1.10.1.0-6289829715de7a109def1f0c286a5dc4 is unusable due to
> missing or recursive dependencies:
>      process-1.0.1.5-3e412eee765d141be15796c32f22f7a3

This is part of the problem that cabal does not understand that there
can be two instances of the same version of a package registered at
once. We will shortly be working on a new solver that does understand
this.

Duncan

Re: cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

Yitzchak Gale
Is this ticket related? This person was also running
cabal install cabal-install, thus downgrading:

http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/ticket/164

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> This is because the "default" version of cabal-install on hackage
> remains at 0.8.x. As soon as I bump this to 0.10.x then all existing
> users will get prompted to upgrade. I'd like a bit of confidence that
> this will not break everyone's existing setup, so I've not done it
> yet.

>> Downloading time-1.1.4...
>> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.10.1.0:
>>    Cabal-1.10.1.0-6289829715de7a109def1f0c286a5dc4 is unusable due to
>> missing or recursive dependencies:
>>      process-1.0.1.5-3e412eee765d141be15796c32f22f7a3

> This is part of the problem that cabal does not understand that there
> can be two instances of the same version of a package registered at
> once. We will shortly be working on a new solver that does understand
> this.

Thanks!

-Yitz

Re: cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

Claus Reinke
>> To my surprise, cabal install began installing
>> an *older* version of itself, together with older
>> versions of dependent libraries to support that.
>
> This is because the "default" version of cabal-install on hackage
> remains at 0.8.x. As soon as I bump this to 0.10.x then all existing
> users will get prompted to upgrade. I'd like a bit of confidence that
> this will not break everyone's existing setup, so I've not done it
> yet.
..
> This is part of the problem that cabal does not understand that there
> can be two instances of the same version of a package registered at
> once. We will shortly be working on a new solver that does understand
> this.

Others, myself included, have been running into similar
problems with "cabal install cabal-install" wrecking their
installed core libs. I was surprised that "install" would do
that.

Handling of multiple installed package instances will be a
more general solution, but it would be good to know the
timeline for that feature. If it isn't imminent, then I would
recommend a short-term safety line:

1. cabal figures out which packages are core ghc dependencies
2. cabal never touches those packages (unless someone reenables
    upgrade, and uses the --force and --yes-really-shoot-myself-
    in-the-knee options;-)

Claus

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4510#comment:4