cabal-install can't connect

Kirk Martinez
I'm trying to use cabal-install through the firewall at my work and I am consistently denied:

C:\>cabal update -v3
Downloading package list from server
'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
Sending:
GET http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/00-index.tar.gz HTTP/1.1
Creating new connection to hackage.haskell.org
cabal: connect: failed (Connection refused (WSAECONNREFUSED))

I built cabal-install 0.6.0 and compiled with ghc 6.10.1 without a hitch.  I set my http_proxy variable the same as other apps I use which are able to connect to other sites via http.  I even patched cabal-install according to these instructions<http://www.nabble.com/cabal-install-sends-invalid-proxy-password-td20976277.html>, but I still get this same "Connection refused".  Seems it's not even getting to the proxy.  This is on Windows XP SP2.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Installing package dependencies by hand is something I thought I left behind in the 90's...

Thanks,
Kirk Martinez

________________________________
Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

cabal-install can't connect

Salvatore Insalaco
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Kirk Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to use cabal-install through the firewall at my work and I am
> consistently denied:

In my experience, cabal-install ignores the http_proxy variable on
Windows, and uses the Internet Explorer proxy registry key.
Another problem could be that your proxy is using NTLM authentication,
that cabal doesn't support.

To solve this problem, if your proxy supports BASIC authentication,
just put the proxy informations in the Internet Explorer proxy dialog;
you have to do it even if there's the "automatic proxy configuration"
setting, as cabal is unable to use it.

If your proxy supports NTLM authentication, just download a package
like http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/ and then put its host and
port as proxy in Internet Explorer.

Salvatore

cabal-install can't connect

Kirk Martinez
Thanks, Salvatore.  I was able to get cabal install working by setting IE to use a local proxy server which is set up to cascade through to my corporate proxy.  I was already using CCproxy for testing some other proxy stuff internally, so that's what I used.  It works great!  I only use IE for those proxy settings now, and Firefox for my day to day browsing needs.

Thanks a bunch,
Kirk