cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Niklas Hambüchen
Hi,

I just did cabal update and cabal install ghc-mod, and for some reason
it tries to install version 0.3.0 from 3 years ago:

"
cabal install ghc-mod -v
Reading available packages...
Choosing modular solver.
Resolving dependencies...
Ready to install ghc-mod-0.3.0
Downloading ghc-mod-0.3.0...
"

cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.16.0.2
using version 1.16.0.3 of the Cabal library

Does anyone have an idea why that could be?

Thanks

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 24 February 2013 12:38, Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just did cabal update and cabal install ghc-mod, and for some reason
> it tries to install version 0.3.0 from 3 years ago:
>
> "
> cabal install ghc-mod -v
> Reading available packages...
> Choosing modular solver.
> Resolving dependencies...
> Ready to install ghc-mod-0.3.0
> Downloading ghc-mod-0.3.0...
> "
>
> cabal --version
> cabal-install version 1.16.0.2
> using version 1.16.0.3 of the Cabal library
>

> Does anyone have an idea why that could be?

Which version of GHC (and hence base, etc.)? My guess is that for some
reason it thinks that some requirement of the later versions is
incompatible with your version of GHC.

Maybe explicitly try " cabal install 'ghc-mod >= 1.11.4' " and see why
it doesn't like it.

> Thanks

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Niklas Hambüchen
You are right, my "ghc-7.4.2" was broken in ghc-pkg list; I fixed the
problem by killing my .cabal folder (as so often).

Do you know if it is possible to make ghc-pkg list print some actual
text when packages are broken instead of writing them in red (which goes
away on output redirection)?

Thanks
Niklas

On 25 February 2013 01:33, Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are right, my "ghc-7.4.2" was broken in ghc-pkg list; I fixed the
> problem by killing my .cabal folder (as so often).
>
> Do you know if it is possible to make ghc-pkg list print some actual
> text when packages are broken instead of writing them in red (which goes
> away on output redirection)?

Just run "ghc-pkg check" every now and then?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Brent Yorgey-2
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:33:55PM +0000, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> You are right, my "ghc-7.4.2" was broken in ghc-pkg list; I fixed the
> problem by killing my .cabal folder (as so often).

Surely you mean by killing your .ghc folder?  I do not see what effect
killing your .cabal folder could possibly have on broken packages.

-Brent

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Niklas Hambüchen
Yep, I usually kill ~/.ghc and ~/.cabal for this kind of reset.

On Mon 25 Feb 2013 16:56:56 GMT, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:33:55PM +0000, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
>> You are right, my "ghc-7.4.2" was broken in ghc-pkg list; I fixed the
>> problem by killing my .cabal folder (as so often).
>
> Surely you mean by killing your .ghc folder?  I do not see what effect
> killing your .cabal folder could possibly have on broken packages.
>
> -Brent

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Malcolm Wallace-2
Doesn't Cabal tend to install library packages under the .cabal folder?  So blowing it away gets rid of the problematic ones.  (And everything else.)

On 25 Feb 2013, at 16:56, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:33:55PM +0000, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
>> You are right, my "ghc-7.4.2" was broken in ghc-pkg list; I fixed the
>> problem by killing my .cabal folder (as so often).
>
> Surely you mean by killing your .ghc folder?  I do not see what effect
> killing your .cabal folder could possibly have on broken packages.

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Albert Y. C. Lai
On 13-03-01 05:10 AM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Doesn't Cabal tend to install library packages under the .cabal folder?  So blowing it away gets rid of the problematic ones.  (And everything else.)

You need to perform scientific experiments to refute that claim, then see my

http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml#ident

then perform more scientific experiments to try to refute my claim (and
see that my claim passes your scrutiny).

Re: cabal install ghc-mod installs 3 years old version

Brandon Allbery
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13-03-01 05:10 AM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
Doesn't Cabal tend to install library packages under the .cabal folder?  So blowing it away gets rid of the problematic ones.  (And everything else.)

You need to perform scientific experiments to refute that claim, then see my

At least some versions of cabal-install do put the actual library install trees under .cabal/lib, then register them under .ghc.