compiling GHC 7.8 on raspberry pi

Sven Bartscher
Greetings,

I'm trying to get a haskell program to run on a raspberry pi (running
raspbian). Unfortunately it requires template haskell.
Since the GHC included in raspbian wheezy doesn't support TH I'm trying
to compile GHC 7.8.4 on the rpi.
Most of the compilation worked fine. I got problems with the memory
consumption, but adding a lot of swapspace solved this problem.
During the final phase the compilation process complains about a
"strange closure type 49200" (the exact number is varying, but most
often it's 49200).
Does anyone here have experience, how to compile GHC 7.8 on a raspberry
pi?

As a side note: The compilation is running in QEMU while the compiled
program should run on a real rpi.

Regards
Sven

Re: compiling GHC 7.8 on raspberry pi

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 19.04.2015, 16:15 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:

> I'm trying to get a haskell program to run on a raspberry pi (running
> raspbian). Unfortunately it requires template haskell.
> Since the GHC included in raspbian wheezy doesn't support TH I'm trying
> to compile GHC 7.8.4 on the rpi.
> Most of the compilation worked fine. I got problems with the memory
> consumption, but adding a lot of swapspace solved this problem.
> During the final phase the compilation process complains about a
> "strange closure type 49200" (the exact number is varying, but most
> often it's 49200).
> Does anyone here have experience, how to compile GHC 7.8 on a raspberry
> pi?
>
> As a side note: The compilation is running in QEMU while the compiled
> program should run on a real rpi.
you might be interested in the patches that Debian applies to GHC, in
particular the ARM-related one, even more in particular the one that
enforces the use of gold as the linker:
https://sources.debian.net/src/ghc/7.8.20141223-1/debian/patches/

Gruß,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Re: compiling GHC 7.8 on raspberry pi

Sven Bartscher
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:42:38 +0200
Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 19.04.2015, 16:15 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > I'm trying to get a haskell program to run on a raspberry pi (running
> > raspbian). Unfortunately it requires template haskell.
> > Since the GHC included in raspbian wheezy doesn't support TH I'm trying
> > to compile GHC 7.8.4 on the rpi.
> > Most of the compilation worked fine. I got problems with the memory
> > consumption, but adding a lot of swapspace solved this problem.
> > During the final phase the compilation process complains about a
> > "strange closure type 49200" (the exact number is varying, but most
> > often it's 49200).
> > Does anyone here have experience, how to compile GHC 7.8 on a raspberry
> > pi?
> >
> > As a side note: The compilation is running in QEMU while the compiled
> > program should run on a real rpi.
>
> you might be interested in the patches that Debian applies to GHC, in
> particular the ARM-related one, even more in particular the one that
> enforces the use of gold as the linker:
> https://sources.debian.net/src/ghc/7.8.20141223-1/debian/patches/
Many thanks. I will try that, but it will take some time, until I know
whether it worked.

Regards
Sven

Re: compiling GHC 7.8 on raspberry pi

Kostiantyn Rybnikov

Please keep us informed on the progress (and share binary if it'll work :) ). Thanks!

21 квіт. 2015 19:37 "Sven Bartscher" <[hidden email]> пише: