compiling GHC: undefined references

Németh Boldizsár
Dear GHC Devs,

This is my first time trying to compile GHC on my machine and I need a
little help to go on. I ran into a problem, I get a lot of undefined
reference errors when linking. A sample of these:

ghc\stage2\build\Main.o:fake:(.text+0x1f3): undefined reference to
`ghczmprim_GHCziTypes_ZC_con_info'
ghc\stage2\build\Main.o:fake:(.text+0x340): undefined reference to
`ghczmprim_GHCziTypes_ZMZN_closure'
ghc\stage2\build\Main.o:fake:(.text+0x498): undefined reference to
`ghczmprim_GHCziTypes_False_closure'
ghc\stage2\build\Main.o:fake:(.text+0x4c0): undefined reference to
`ghczmprim_GHCziTypes_True_closure'

Before the errors I have a warning:

Warning: -rtsopts and -with-rtsopts have no effect with -no-hs-main.
     Call hs_init_ghc() from your main() function to set these options.

The only change I made is fixing some simple type errors in
utils/ghc-cabal/Main.hs that stopped compilation.

Commit ID is: cf2c029ccdb967441c85ffb66073974fbdb20c20

Best Regards,
Boldizsár

Fwd: compiling GHC: undefined references

Douglas Wilson

I infer from the path names that you are on windows? It's likely that you have not correctly configured your machine, since this commit passed validation on windows here:

Can you double check that you have followed the instructions here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

Before the errors I have a warning:
Warning: -rtsopts and -with-rtsopts have no effect with -no-hs-main.
    Call hs_init_ghc() from your main() function to set these options.

This is normal.

The only change I made is fixing some simple type errors in utils/ghc-cabal/Main.hs that stopped compilation.

It is very unusual for HEAD to fail to compile, and CI indicates that it does compiles on the test systems in this case.

Good luck!
Regards,
Doug WIlson