cool tools

Chris Dornan
I have been playing around with the latest cabal-install (0.14.0) and it is
working really nicely. Having unpacked a cabal bundle you can now type
'cabal install' inside the root and it will work everything out as if you
had asked to install directly from the repo -- very nice.

I have also noticed that GHC is suggesting alternatives when it encounters
missing identifiers. This gives a strong sense of helpfulness that I think
accurately reflects the long and sustained (decades-long) effort that has
gone into making the GHC diagnostics as useful as possible.

The tools are so good because the developers have been paying attention to
the gripes.

But we should sometimes say thank you too... it is much appreciated.

Chris

Re: cool tools

Simon Michael
Well said!

Re: cool tools

Neil Davies
+1
On 20 May 2012, at 01:23, Simon Michael wrote:

> Well said!

Re: cool tools

Brent Yorgey-2
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 03:05:22PM +0100, Chris Dornan wrote:
> I have been playing around with the latest cabal-install (0.14.0) and it is
> working really nicely. Having unpacked a cabal bundle you can now type
> 'cabal install' inside the root and it will work everything out as if you
> had asked to install directly from the repo -- very nice.

I should point out that cabal-install has actually had this feature
for a long time.  Which of course in no way detracts from your point
(quite the opposite, in fact).

-Brent

Re: cool tools

Chris Dornan
Indeed! I don't know why it wasn't obvious to me sooner.

Sorry for any confusion.

But as you say -- the main point stands.

Chris