darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Reinier Lamers-2
Hi all,

The darcs team would like to announce the immediate availability of darcs 2.4
beta 1. darcs 2.4 will contain many improvements and bugfixes compared to
darcs 2.3.1. Highlights are the fast index-based diffing which is now used by
all darcs commands, and the interactive hunk-splitting in darcs record. This
beta is your chance to test-drive these improvements and make darcs even
better.

If you have installed the Haskell Platform or cabal-install, you can install
this beta release by doing:

  $ cabal update
  $ cabal install --reinstall darcs-beta

Alternatively, you can download the tarball from
http://darcs.net/releases/darcs-2.3.98.1.tar.gz , and build it by hand as
explained in the README file.

A list of important changes since 2.3.1 is as follows (please let me know if
there's something you miss!):

   * Use fast index-based diffing everywhere (Petr)
   * Interactive patch splitting (Ganesh)
   * An 'optimize --upgrade' option to convert  to hashed format in-place
     (Eric)
   * Hunk matching (Kamil Dworakowski, tat.wright)
   * Progress reporting is no longer deceptive (Roman Plášil)
   * A 'remove --recursive' option to remove a directory tree from revision
     control (Roman Plášil)
   * A '--remote-darcs' flag for pushing to a host where darcs isn't called
     darcs
   * Many miscellaneous Windows improvements (Salvatore, Petr and others)
   * 'darcs send' now mentions the repository name in the email body (Joachim)
   * Handle files with boring names in the repository correctly (Petr)
   * Fix parsing of .authorspellings file (Tomáš Caitt)
   * Various sane new command-line option names (Florent)
   * Remove the '--checkpoint' option (Petr)
   * Use external libraries for all UTF-8 handling (Eric, Reinier)
   * Use the Haskell zlib package exclusively for compression (Petr)

Kind Regards,
the darcs release manager,
Reinier Lamers

Re: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
I really feel that bug 1720 [1] is a show-stopping bug for darcs,
especially since it means that building Haddock for darcs with
GHC-6.12.* isn't possible.

[1] http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1720

I tried to make a fix, but didn't know enough of how darcs is documented
to be able to do anything.

Reinier Lamers <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The darcs team would like to announce the immediate availability of darcs 2.4
> beta 1. darcs 2.4 will contain many improvements and bugfixes compared to
> darcs 2.3.1. Highlights are the fast index-based diffing which is now used by
> all darcs commands, and the interactive hunk-splitting in darcs record. This
> beta is your chance to test-drive these improvements and make darcs even
> better.
>
> If you have installed the Haskell Platform or cabal-install, you can install
> this beta release by doing:
>
>   $ cabal update
>   $ cabal install --reinstall darcs-beta
>
> Alternatively, you can download the tarball from
> http://darcs.net/releases/darcs-2.3.98.1.tar.gz , and build it by hand as
> explained in the README file.
>
> A list of important changes since 2.3.1 is as follows (please let me know if
> there's something you miss!):
>
>    * Use fast index-based diffing everywhere (Petr)
>    * Interactive patch splitting (Ganesh)
>    * An 'optimize --upgrade' option to convert  to hashed format in-place
>      (Eric)
>    * Hunk matching (Kamil Dworakowski, tat.wright)
>    * Progress reporting is no longer deceptive (Roman Plášil)
>    * A 'remove --recursive' option to remove a directory tree from revision
>      control (Roman Plášil)
>    * A '--remote-darcs' flag for pushing to a host where darcs isn't called
>      darcs
>    * Many miscellaneous Windows improvements (Salvatore, Petr and others)
>    * 'darcs send' now mentions the repository name in the email body (Joachim)
>    * Handle files with boring names in the repository correctly (Petr)
>    * Fix parsing of .authorspellings file (Tomáš Caitt)
>    * Various sane new command-line option names (Florent)
>    * Remove the '--checkpoint' option (Petr)
>    * Use external libraries for all UTF-8 handling (Eric, Reinier)
>    * Use the Haskell zlib package exclusively for compression (Petr)
>
> Kind Regards,
> the darcs release manager,
> Reinier Lamers

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

RE: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Sittampalam, Ganesh
Obviously source code documentation would be nice, but why is it "show-stopping"?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> I really feel that bug 1720 [1] is a show-stopping bug for darcs,
> especially since it means that building Haddock for darcs with
> GHC-6.12.* isn't possible.
>
> [1] http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1720
>
> I tried to make a fix, but didn't know enough of how darcs is
> documented to be able to do anything.
>

> Reinier Lamers <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The darcs team would like to announce the immediate availability of
>> darcs 2.4 beta 1. darcs 2.4 will contain many improvements and
>> bugfixes compared to darcs 2.3.1. Highlights are the fast index-based
>> diffing which is now used by all darcs commands, and the interactive
>> hunk-splitting in darcs record. This beta is your chance to
>> test-drive
>> these improvements and make darcs even better.
>>
>> If you have installed the Haskell Platform or cabal-install, you can
>> install this beta release by doing:
>>
>>   $ cabal update
>>   $ cabal install --reinstall darcs-beta
>>
>> Alternatively, you can download the tarball from
>> http://darcs.net/releases/darcs-2.3.98.1.tar.gz , and build it by
>> hand
>> as explained in the README file.
>>
>> A list of important changes since 2.3.1 is as follows (please let me
>> know if there's something you miss!):
>>
>>    * Use fast index-based diffing everywhere (Petr)
>>    * Interactive patch splitting (Ganesh)
>>    * An 'optimize --upgrade' option to convert  to hashed format
>> in-place      (Eric)
>>    * Hunk matching (Kamil Dworakowski, tat.wright)
>>    * Progress reporting is no longer deceptive (Roman Plášil)
>>    * A 'remove --recursive' option to remove a directory tree from
>> revision      control (Roman Plášil)
>>    * A '--remote-darcs' flag for pushing to a host where darcs isn't
>> called      darcs
>>    * Many miscellaneous Windows improvements (Salvatore, Petr and
>> others)
>>    * 'darcs send' now mentions the repository name in the email body
>> (Joachim)
>>    * Handle files with boring names in the repository correctly
>> (Petr)
>>    * Fix parsing of .authorspellings file (Tomáš Caitt)
>>    * Various sane new command-line option names (Florent)
>>    * Remove the '--checkpoint' option (Petr)
>>    * Use external libraries for all UTF-8 handling (Eric, Reinier)
>>    * Use the Haskell zlib package exclusively for compression (Petr)
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> the darcs release manager,
>> Reinier Lamers

Re: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
"Sittampalam, Ganesh" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Obviously source code documentation would be nice, but why is it
> "show-stopping"?

I consider it "show-stopping" in the sense that I keep having people on
#gentoo-haskell asking me why they can't compile darcs 2.3.1 because
that error comes up, and I have to explain to either disable
documentation or downgrade Cabal (if they're still using <GHC-6.11).

> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
>> I really feel that bug 1720 [1] is a show-stopping bug for darcs,
>> especially since it means that building Haddock for darcs with
>> GHC-6.12.* isn't possible.
>>
>> [1] http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1720
>>
>> I tried to make a fix, but didn't know enough of how darcs is
>> documented to be able to do anything.
>>

>> Reinier Lamers <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The darcs team would like to announce the immediate availability of
>>> darcs 2.4 beta 1. darcs 2.4 will contain many improvements and
>>> bugfixes compared to darcs 2.3.1. Highlights are the fast index-based
>>> diffing which is now used by all darcs commands, and the interactive
>>> hunk-splitting in darcs record. This beta is your chance to
>>> test-drive
>>> these improvements and make darcs even better.
>>>
>>> If you have installed the Haskell Platform or cabal-install, you can
>>> install this beta release by doing:
>>>
>>>   $ cabal update
>>>   $ cabal install --reinstall darcs-beta
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can download the tarball from
>>> http://darcs.net/releases/darcs-2.3.98.1.tar.gz , and build it by
>>> hand
>>> as explained in the README file.
>>>
>>> A list of important changes since 2.3.1 is as follows (please let me
>>> know if there's something you miss!):
>>>
>>>    * Use fast index-based diffing everywhere (Petr)
>>>    * Interactive patch splitting (Ganesh)
>>>    * An 'optimize --upgrade' option to convert  to hashed format
>>> in-place      (Eric)
>>>    * Hunk matching (Kamil Dworakowski, tat.wright)
>>>    * Progress reporting is no longer deceptive (Roman Plášil)
>>>    * A 'remove --recursive' option to remove a directory tree from
>>> revision      control (Roman Plášil)
>>>    * A '--remote-darcs' flag for pushing to a host where darcs isn't
>>> called      darcs
>>>    * Many miscellaneous Windows improvements (Salvatore, Petr and
>>> others)
>>>    * 'darcs send' now mentions the repository name in the email body
>>> (Joachim)
>>>    * Handle files with boring names in the repository correctly
>>> (Petr)
>>>    * Fix parsing of .authorspellings file (Tomáš Caitt)
>>>    * Various sane new command-line option names (Florent)
>>>    * Remove the '--checkpoint' option (Petr)
>>>    * Use external libraries for all UTF-8 handling (Eric, Reinier)
>>>    * Use the Haskell zlib package exclusively for compression (Petr)
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> the darcs release manager,
>>> Reinier Lamers

>  Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer:
>  http://www.credit-suisse.com/legal/en/disclaimer_email_ib.html

Re: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Trent W. Buck-2
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> writes:
> I consider it "show-stopping" in the sense that I keep having people
> on #gentoo-haskell asking me why they can't compile darcs 2.3.1
> because that error comes up, and I have to explain to either disable
> documentation or downgrade Cabal (if they're still using <GHC-6.11).

Does Gentoo's cabal set "documentation: True" by default?  On Debian,
"cabal install foo" will not build documentation; it's only when
building a .deb with CDBS that documentation is built.

Do / should our buildbots set "documentation: True" in .cabal/config?

Re: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

z_axis
Both darcs and xmonad are only great product i know!

thanks!

Reinier Lamers-2 wrote
[...]

e^(π.i) + 1 = 0

Re: Re: darcs 2.4 beta 1 release

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email] (Trent W. Buck) writes:
> Does Gentoo's cabal set "documentation: True" by default?  On Debian,
> "cabal install foo" will not build documentation; it's only when
> building a .deb with CDBS that documentation is built.

No, but a lot of people have USE=doc which builds the haddock
documentation (and USE=hscolour then uses hscolour for prettified source
links from haddock docs).

> Do / should our buildbots set "documentation: True" in .cabal/config?

For testing purposes?  Yes, I think they should.