doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Haskellers,

i'm now write documention about Template Haskell in MS Word. when it
will be written, i will be glad to publish it in Wiki, so anyone can
correct it. and when all be done, it will be great to automatically
convert this wiki text to DocBook XML for inserting in GHC
documentation

can anyone say me about tools/scripts which can be used to do this? or
share your ideas - how can i write scripts to do it?

 Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Scott Weeks
Frankly, the best way to go about writing your doc would be to do it in
LaTeX/literate haskell. That way you could compile it to
html/pdf/whatever.

On 15/11/2005, at 2:40 AM, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Haskellers,
>
> i'm now write documention about Template Haskell in MS Word. when it
> will be written, i will be glad to publish it in Wiki, so anyone can
> correct it. and when all be done, it will be great to automatically
> convert this wiki text to DocBook XML for inserting in GHC
> documentation
>
> can anyone say me about tools/scripts which can be used to do this? or
> share your ideas - how can i write scripts to do it?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Wolfgang Jeltsch
Am Dienstag, 15. November 2005 12:44 schrieb Scott Weeks:
> Frankly, the best way to go about writing your doc would be to do it in
> LaTeX/literate haskell. That way you could compile it to
> html/pdf/whatever.

Oh no!  Converting LaTeX to HTML is terrible, in my opinion.  One reason for
this is that LaTeX isn't a markup language and provides a mixture of logical
and visual macros.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Re: doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Ketil Malde
Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>Oh no!  Converting LaTeX to HTML is terrible, in my opinion.  One reason for
>this is that LaTeX isn't a markup language and provides a mixture of logical
>and visual macros.

Conversely, I've occasionally tried to convert stuff - I think a TMR
issue was one example, and occasionally HTML documents - to PDF via
LaTeX.  Unfortunately, people used a variety of ways to get the desired
look and feel, and it's very difficult to do the conversion
automatically (or 'unsupervised' as we like to call it here :-).

The ideal is to have a simple, rigid, semantic markup in the source
document.  While I dislike XML at least as much as the next guy, it is
probably the best choice for this.   Ideally, the DTD should be a lot
simpler than DocBook, but OTOH, DocBook comes with a lot of conversion
methods for free.

-k

Re: doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Wolfgang Jeltsch
Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2005 10:10 schrieben Sie:
> [...]

> The ideal is to have a simple, rigid, semantic markup in the source
> document.  While I dislike XML at least as much as the next guy, it is
> probably the best choice for this.   Ideally, the DTD should be a lot
> simpler than DocBook, but OTOH, DocBook comes with a lot of conversion
> methods for free.

You are not forced to use all the different markup facilities.  Somewhere in
the DocBook documentation they state (or used to state) that at many points
it's up to the writer how detailed he/she wants to markup his/her texts.

In addition, there is Simplified DocBook (see http://docbook.org/).

By the way, DocBook XML is defined by Relax NG schemas nowadays, not DTDs.
Well, there are DTDs available.

> -k

Best wishes,
Wolfgang