dumb monad syntax question

Michael Vanier
I've been reading Phil Wadler's monad papers from the early '90s, and it's been
interesting to see how the monad concept evolved over the course of those years.
  But I haven't been able to track down the first use of the "do" notation for
monads.  Can anyone tell me where that came from?  I'd appreciate paper
citations if it was presented initially in a paper.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: dumb monad syntax question

Donald Bruce Stewart
mvanier:
> I've been reading Phil Wadler's monad papers from the early '90s, and it's
> been interesting to see how the monad concept evolved over the course of
> those years. But I haven't been able to track down the first use of the
>  "do" notation for monads.  Can anyone tell me where that came from?  I'd
> appreciate paper citations if it was presented initially in a paper.

Check one of the papers here:
    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Monads_and_arrows#Monads

Re: dumb monad syntax question

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello mvanier,

Monday, May 15, 2006, 7:04:11 AM, you wrote:

> I've been reading Phil Wadler's monad papers from the early '90s, and it's been
> interesting to see how the monad concept evolved over the course of those years.
>   But I haven't been able to track down the first use of the "do" notation for
> monads.  Can anyone tell me where that came from?  I'd appreciate paper
> citations if it was presented initially in a paper.

"do" notation is not new concept, it's just syntax sugar for ">>"
and ">>=" operations :)

Re: dumb monad syntax question

Malcolm Wallace
> I've been reading Phil Wadler's monad papers from the early '90s,
> and it's been interesting to see how the monad concept evolved over
> the course of those years.

> But I haven't been able to track down the first use of the "do" notation for
> monads.  Can anyone tell me where that came from?  I'd appreciate
> paper citations if it was presented initially in a paper.

I believe it was introduced by Mark Jones' "Gofer" system (the
predecessor to Hugs), in version 2.30, in the year 1994.

To quote the release notes:

    Gofer 2.30 supports a new, experimental syntax for monad
    comprehensions which we will refer to as `do {...} notation'.

Regards,
    Malcolm