emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Sean Matthews
I have just reinstalled everything. Newest release of emacs, Haskell-pakage and Haskell-mode and Haskell.
I have tried to do this as cleanly as possible (via the customise and package install interfaces).
Now when I try to edit haskell files, the system keeps freezing to report types.

Nothing that I try (setting configuration variables, etc.) has any effect.

I know that there is a problem with parsing the command line with the newest version of GHCi, but I think I can avoid that by using :load instead of C-c C-l.  This freezing problem, however, is another level of problem. It renders my emacs basically useless for editing haskell.

Anybody recognise the problem, and have a fix?

Thanks,

Sean Matthews

--
Sean Matthews
[hidden email] / +49 1515 800 1901

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Sven Panne-2
I have just reinstalled everything. Newest release of emacs, Haskell-pakage and Haskell-mode and Haskell.
I have tried to do this as cleanly as possible (via the customise and package install interfaces).
Now when I try to edit haskell files, the system keeps freezing to report types. [...]

I don't have a concrete solution for your problem, but instead of fighting with Emacs packages and customizations directly, I would *highly* recommend Spacemacs (http://spacemacs.org/).After using and customizing Emacs for several decades, I switched to Spacemacs some months ago and never looked back. Getting a coherent set of packages for a task, and getting those packages to actually work together requires a non-trivial amount of configuration fiddling. This is what Spacemacs does for you, plus an easy way to update.

Having said that, Spacemacs' Haskell layer works perfectly for me, perhaps you can give it a try. Another hint: Use stack/stackage instead of fiddling around with GHC installations, Cabal, sandboxes etc. for yourself.

Cheers,
   S.

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Mark Fine

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Sven Panne <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have just reinstalled everything. Newest release of emacs, Haskell-pakage and Haskell-mode and Haskell.
I have tried to do this as cleanly as possible (via the customise and package install interfaces).
Now when I try to edit haskell files, the system keeps freezing to report types. [...]

I don't have a concrete solution for your problem, but instead of fighting with Emacs packages and customizations directly, I would *highly* recommend Spacemacs (http://spacemacs.org/).After using and customizing Emacs for several decades, I switched to Spacemacs some months ago and never looked back. Getting a coherent set of packages for a task, and getting those packages to actually work together requires a non-trivial amount of configuration fiddling. This is what Spacemacs does for you, plus an easy way to update.

+1 for Spacemacs! Have enjoyed using its default layers after years of managing crusty dotfiles. Beware of ghc 8.2 and haskell mode (https://github.com/haskell/haskell-mode/issues/1553)

Mark

Having said that, Spacemacs' Haskell layer works perfectly for me, perhaps you can give it a try. Another hint: Use stack/stackage instead of fiddling around with GHC installations, Cabal, sandboxes etc. for yourself.

Cheers,
   S.

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Saurabh Nanda

Now when I try to edit haskell files, the system keeps freezing to report types.

I don't think spacemacs is going to solve your problem. I'm using it, and it freezes/crashes at least 5 times a day for me.

What exactly do you mean by "system keeps freezing to report types"? Does emacs become non-responsive or your entire system? For how long? After which keystroke - c-c c-t or c-c c-i? How big is your Haskell project?

-- Saurabh.

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Sean Matthews
Good questions.  Should have said more in my original email.

1. Exact behavior is that Emacs freezes for about a minute and displays (in bold) in the type of the word I'm over.
    Thus, I was trying to edit a small a-list with dummy 0.000s in the range.  Every third keystroke, emacs stopped to tell me that
    my cursor was over 0.000::Double and I have to wait an indeterminate time (at least tens of seconds, sometimes a minute or more)
    to get control back.

2. This is in Windows (8)

3. No the rest of the system does not freeze, thus allowing me to bring up the process monitor and kill emacs.

4. I can't identify a combination of keys that does this. It seems to be entirely random when I am moving the cursor around.

5. Turning off doc mode (etc.), which I first guessed might be the problem, does not help.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Saurabh Nanda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

So, the underlying mechanism to determine type at current cursor position isn't very fast. In spacemacs+intero C-c C-t (or C-c C-i) takes anywhere between 1 to 10 sec for me. Something in your setup has made this lookup automatic. It's trying to determine the type as your browse around your source code. Do you have any idea what could have caused that?

You could try one more thing. Try delivering a SIGUSR2 to the Emacs process when it's stuck. It will stop doing whatever is holding it up and drop you into some sort of a debugger. That can give you some clues about what is causing this behaviour in your setup.

-- Saurabh.

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Sean Matthews
Alas I spoke too soon, and my problem is still there.  So it is back to the cafe, looking for suggestions.  Here is my problem in more detail:

 - I am running a windows system. (note Windows, not Unix, Linux, OS X, or any other Unix-a-like).

 - I have a clean emacs installation - only thing I have done is to install haskell-mode using the install-package function.

 - I start-up interactive haskell mode (C-c interactive-haskell-mode, C-c C-l (and I get a parsing complaint, but we ignore that)).

[at this point I have a live haskell process that I can interact with]

 - I load my file (not large) into haskell.

 - Emacs starts persisting in telling me in the Echo region the type of the term under the cursor - all the time - and locks down to do this.

 - The type report uses unicode text to do this (note that if I ask for the type with C-c C-t or C-c C-i, I also get the type, but using ascii characters, so it does not appear to be the same functionality that is being triggered - if I turn off haskell-doc then the problem continues).

Anybody any suggestions, recognise this problem, or even just an address where I can submit a bug report?
I cannot be the only person trying to work with haskell mode on windows.

Thanks

Sean Matthews

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Sean Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[hidden email] / <a href="tel:+49%201515%208001901" value="+4915158001901" target="_blank">+49 1515 800 1901

--
Sean Matthews
[hidden email] / +49 1515 800 1901

Re: emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

David Sorokin-2
Hi Sean,

Did you try another mode which was called «deprecated» once?

(require 'haskell-process)
(add-hook 'haskell-mode-hook 'inf-haskell-mode)

I personally use only this mode as I very appreciate a Lisp-like bottom-up development.

Best regards,
David Sorokin

24 нояб. 2017 г., в 1:11, Sean Matthews <[hidden email]> написал(а):

[...]

[hidden email] / <a href="tel:+49%201515%208001901" value="+4915158001901" target="_blank" class="">+49 1515 800 1901