fadeInactiveLogHook on dual monitor with nvidia

fadeInactiveLogHook on dual monitor with nvidia

Robert Sawko
Dear All,

I have two Xmonad configurations that are extremely productive for me
and do most if not all of the things I want. One setup is on my latop
and another on my desktop at work. The configurations are very similar
with the exception that the desktop has an nvidia drivers installed and
is running a dual screen.

Basically fadeInactiveLogHook is not working. I would like the inactive
windows to fade slightly as this helps me focus on the right terminal.
Here are the relevant entries from xmonad.hs

myLogHook :: Handle -> X ()

main = do
  , logHook = myLogHook dzenLeftBar >> fadeInactiveLogHook 0.8

Is there anything I should do more? This setup works on my laptop so is
there any known issues with nvidia or dual screen setup? How do I debug
this?

Please advise,
Robert
--
Kitchen science (Non-Newtonian series).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCTgFLEYlw4

fadeInactiveLogHook on dual monitor with nvidia

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Robert Sawko <robertsawko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically fadeInactiveLogHook is not working. I would like the inactive
> windows to fade slightly as this helps me focus on the right terminal.

Are you running a compositing manager? The fade hooks only set window
properties for a compositing manager; xmonad is not itself a compositing
manager, and I'm not sure it should try to get into that business. (Go look
at how compositing managers for X11 work to see why.) compton seems to be
the most reliable of the standalone compositing managers, although all of
them have bugs.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

fadeInactiveLogHook on dual monitor with nvidia

Tim DuBois
If this is the case you'll also have a fight on your hands if you want
both a composite manager enabled for the fade and Xinerama to float
windows between screens. I'm not aware of any current composite manager
that doesn't conflict with Xinerama; so disable it as well in your
troubleshooting if it's currently enabled.

On 16/04/13 23:53, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Robert Sawko <robertsawko at gmail.com
> <mailto:robertsawko at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Basically fadeInactiveLogHook is not working. I would like the
>     inactive
>     windows to fade slightly as this helps me focus on the right terminal.
>

> Are you running a compositing manager? The fade hooks only set window
> properties for a compositing manager; xmonad is not itself a
> compositing manager, and I'm not sure it should try to get into that
> business. (Go look at how compositing managers for X11 work to see
> why.) compton seems to be the most reliable of the standalone
> compositing managers, although all of them have bugs.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
> associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b at gmail.com>
>            ballbery at sinenomine.net <mailto:ballbery at sinenomine.net>
>  http://sinenomine.net

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

fadeInactiveLogHook on dual monitor with nvidia

Robert Sawko
> Are you running a compositing manager? The fade hooks only set window
> properties for a compositing manager; xmonad is not itself a compositing
> manager, and I'm not sure it should try to get into that business. (Go look at
> how compositing managers for X11 work to see why.) compton seems to be the most
> reliable of the standalone compositing managers, although all of them have
> bugs.
Many thanks Brandon for your reply and apologies for such a late reply.
Today I had some time to have a look into the matter and yes, I am using
a compositing manager. I was using xcompmgr which was in official
repositories. Today I tried to run X with compton and it works perfectly
now - this is exactly how I wanted it to behave.

Best wishes,
Robert
--
For those seeking to enter the felicity of matrimonial alliance n/e is the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem