fastest Binary library!

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello

yes, i did it! today i spend time to optimize my own Binary library
and got the (de)serialization speed about 50 mb/s with my 1 ghz cpu.
it is a peek speed for unboxed arrays, in real life GC times and other
overhead expenses will need much more time than (de)serialization
itself. but at least noone can now say that serialization is a
bottleneck of Haskell program :)

i uploaded current version to http://freearc.narod.ru/Binary.tar.gz
Main.hs in package is a testing program which builds, puts to memory
buffer and then gets back a 40mb array and prints runtime of each
operation

Joel, if you are interested in switchinh to my library - write me. i
have ideas about supporting your 150 records using your own DDL. smth
like this:

data Command = Cmd1  field1  Word32  333
                     field2  Word16  0

               Cmd2  field3  String  ""
                     field4  [SubRecord]  []

you will describe all your records just one time and then these
definitions will be compiled for the language/library you are using

 Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: fastest Binary library!

Donald Bruce Stewart
bulatz:

> Hello
>
> yes, i did it! today i spend time to optimize my own Binary library
> and got the (de)serialization speed about 50 mb/s with my 1 ghz cpu.
> it is a peek speed for unboxed arrays, in real life GC times and other
> overhead expenses will need much more time than (de)serialization
> itself. but at least noone can now say that serialization is a
> bottleneck of Haskell program :)
>
> i uploaded current version to http://freearc.narod.ru/Binary.tar.gz
> Main.hs in package is a testing program which builds, puts to memory
> buffer and then gets back a 40mb array and prints runtime of each
> operation

Excellent! How does this compare to NewBinary?

-- Don

Re[2]: fastest Binary library!

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Donald,

Sunday, January 08, 2006, 3:43:51 AM, you wrote:

>> and got the (de)serialization speed about 50 mb/s with my 1 ghz cpu.

DBS> Excellent! How does this compare to NewBinary?

ghc's Binary performs 4-6 mb/s in the same situations. if you are asking
about features - see readme.txt, it is yet unfinished library docs

Re: fastest Binary library!

Joel Reymont
Thanks Bulat! I'm happy with Erlang for the time being but I'll
consider your library for my next IO-intensive Haskell project.

--
http://wagerlabs.com/