gaining access to the `ghc` group

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gaining access to the `ghc` group

Richard Eisenberg-5
Hi devs,

I'm onboarding a new contributor (Gert-Jan Bottu), whose patch (!2465) makes commensurate changes in Haddock. In order to use CI, then, he needs to be able to push a wip/ branch to our fork of Haddock. In order to do that, he needs to be in the `ghc` group. (I'm assuming -- but have not checked -- that just forking Haddock on the gitlab.haskell.org instance is not enough. The wiki page on submodules (https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules) suggests it is not.) That same wiki page says the one needs merely ask to join the `ghc` group. Good. So I follow the "ask" link to get to https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/mailing-lists-and-irc#mailing-lists-and-irc . That page helpfully describes where we can be reached, but it's not all that helpful for someone who wants to join the `ghc` group. According to that page, newcomers have to post publicly in either ghc-devs (I have never seen such a request there) or in #ghc. If I'm new in town, I wouldn't feel all that happy doing so, likely wanting to wait until I actually had a patch accepted before requesting rights.... but of course I need access to CI in order to get a patch accepted.

Instead, would it be possible to have some sort of ghc-admin list, perhaps? While (I think) I know the individuals to contact for a request like this, an official mailing list would make this more transparent and, in my opinion, easier to onboard new contributors. I understand if folks don't want yet another mailing list, but then is here some other approach here that doesn't require posting in public?

Thanks!
Richard

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gaining access to the `ghc` group

Ben Gamari-2
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'm onboarding a new contributor (Gert-Jan Bottu), whose patch (!2465)
> makes commensurate changes in Haddock. In order to use CI, then, he
> needs to be able to push a wip/ branch to our fork of Haddock. In
> order to do that, he needs to be in the `ghc` group. (I'm assuming --
> but have not checked -- that just forking Haddock on the
> gitlab.haskell.org <http://gitlab.haskell.org/> instance is not
> enough. The wiki page on submodules
> (https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules
> suggests it is not.) That same wiki page says the one needs merely ask
> to join the `ghc` group. Good. So I follow the "ask" link to get to
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/mailing-lists-and-irc#mailing-lists-and-irc
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/mailing-lists-and-irc#mailing-lists-and-irc>
> . That page helpfully describes where we can be reached, but it's not
> all that helpful for someone who wants to join the `ghc` group.
> According to that page, newcomers have to post publicly in either
> ghc-devs (I have never seen such a request there) or in #ghc. If I'm
> new in town, I wouldn't feel all that happy doing so, likely wanting
> to wait until I actually had a patch accepted before requesting
> rights.... but of course I need access to CI in order to get a patch
> accepted.
>
> Instead, would it be possible to have some sort of ghc-admin list,
> perhaps? While (I think) I know the individuals to contact for a
> request like this, an official mailing list would make this more
> transparent and, in my opinion, easier to onboard new contributors. I
> understand if folks don't want yet another mailing list, but then is
> here some other approach here that doesn't require posting in public?
>
Hi Richard,

Regarding requesting access to the `ghc` group, GitLab already provides
a mechanism for this: there is a "Request Access" link right below the
group title here [1]. This is admittedly a recent addition as I hadn't
noticed that the feature was disabled in the group configuration (the
link turns into a "Leave group" link if you are already a group member
so I hadn't noticed that the feature was inactive).

I have updated the instructions on the submodules wiki page to reflect
this new feature. Does this look better?

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gaining access to the `ghc` group

Richard Eisenberg-5
>
> I have updated the instructions on the submodules wiki page to reflect
> this new feature. Does this look better?

Perfect. Thank you!
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs