ghc in macports

Ozgur Akgun
Dear Cafe,

I wonder who is maintaining the ghc package in macports, and what the current stategy of doing things is?
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=ghc (ghc 6.10.4)

Personally, I'd like to use the macports version, if the ghc version there was resonably recent (having 2 versions, a stable and an edge could be a good idea?)

Thanks,
Ozgur

Re: ghc in macports

Lyndon Maydwell
Seconded.

I've started using the Haskell Platform mainly because the ports
version is out of date.

Unfortunately it keeps getting pulled in as a dependency of something
even though I'm not using it.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Ozgur Akgun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Cafe,
>
> I wonder who is maintaining the ghc package in macports, and what the
> current stategy of doing things is?
> http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=ghc (ghc 6.10.4)
>
> Personally, I'd like to use the macports version, if the ghc version there
> was resonably recent (having 2 versions, a stable and an edge could be a
> good idea?)
>
> Thanks,
> Ozgur

Re: ghc in macports

Benedict Eastaugh
On 11 August 2010 15:49, Ozgur Akgun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to use the macports version, if the ghc version there
> was resonably recent (having 2 versions, a stable and an edge could be a
> good idea?)

You could use Homebrew instead. That has a fairly up-to-date version
of GHC and the Haskell Platform.

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

Re: ghc in macports

Ozgur Akgun
sounds good to me. where can I find the list of packages (or whatever they call them in homebrew, formula?) available?

--
Ozgur Akgun

Re: ghc in macports

Hans Aberg-2

On 12 Aug 2010, at 12:49, Benedict Eastaugh wrote:

> On 11 August 2010 15:49, Ozgur Akgun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd like to use the macports version, if the ghc
>> version there
>> was resonably recent (having 2 versions, a stable and an edge could
>> be a
>> good idea?)
>
> You could use Homebrew instead. That has a fairly up-to-date version
> of GHC and the Haskell Platform.
>
> http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

On
   http://wiki.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/installation
it says:
   delete /usr/local/include and/usr/local/lib
So its not for those that also installs standard distributions, it
seems.

But what's wrong with the binaries listed here:
   http://haskell.org/ghc/
Fairly easy to install.

Re: ghc in macports

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 12 August 2010 12:17, Ozgur Akgun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> sounds good to me. where can I find the list of packages (or whatever they
> call them in homebrew, formula?) available?

Homebrew only makes available GHC and the Platform:

http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/ghc.rb
http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/haskell-platform.rb

AFAIK Homebrew's policy is to not provide packages for things that can
be installed via language-specific package management tools.
Consequently, they don't provide packages for Ruby gems (use gem
instead), Python eggs (use easy_install) and Haskell packages (use
cabal).

Cheers,
Max

Re: ghc in macports

Ozgur Akgun
On 12 August 2010 12:52, Hans Aberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On
 http://wiki.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/installation
it says:
 delete /usr/local/include and/usr/local/lib
So its not for those that also installs standard distributions, it seems.

I thought this was just a recommendation.

--
Ozgur Akgun

Re: ghc in macports

Hans Aberg-2
On 12 Aug 2010, at 14:08, Ozgur Akgun wrote:

>> On
>>  http://wiki.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/installation
>> it says:
>>  delete /usr/local/include and/usr/local/lib
>> So its not for those that also installs standard distributions, it
>> seems.
>
> I thought this was just a recommendation.

It also says:
   We’ve had a *lot* of bug reports that are first inexplicable and
later it turns out that it’s because the user has some of their own
libs and headers in/usr/local.

Re: ghc in macports

Gaius Hammond

On 12 Aug 2010, at 12:52, Hans Aberg wrote:

>  its not for those that also installs standard distributions, it
> seems.
>
> But what's wrong with the binaries listed here:
>  http://haskell.org/ghc/
> Fairly easy to install.

Yes and no; on OSX 10.5.8 it works better to install GHC from the
binary then build Platform yourself. On 10.6 it seems to be OK.

Re: ghc in macports

Hans Aberg-2
On 12 Aug 2010, at 20:46, Gaius Hammond wrote:

>> its not for those that also installs standard distributions, it
>> seems.
>>
>> But what's wrong with the binaries listed here:
>> http://haskell.org/ghc/
>> Fairly easy to install.
>
> Yes and no; on OSX 10.5.8 it works better to install GHC from the
> binary then build Platform yourself. On 10.6 it seems to be OK.

OK. I was only thinking on the compiler (as in the first post). When
adding packages, it is trickier; I've only by hand. Then in some case
MacPorts might be better if wanting to do a lot of package chasing -
perhaps it was Gtk.