ghc prelude home

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Doug McIlroy
Where can I find the full ghc prelude?

In the local installation I was able to find only .hi files, not .hs.

Poking around github, I found module Prelude.hs. It's a
skeleton that imports many submodules,  which I wasn't
clever enough to find.
\
Doug McIlroy

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Brandon Allbery
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> Where can I find the full ghc prelude?
>

There was at one point an intention of making the "base" package available
on Hackage, but at the moment you need the ghc source to get it.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20141228/ac93fbd6/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Ben Gamari-2
Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
>> Where can I find the full ghc prelude?
>>
>
> There was at one point an intention of making the "base" package available
> on Hackage, but at the moment you need the ghc source to get it.
>
And `base` is now living in the GHC tree itself; it no longer has its own
repository which further complicates its status as a free-standing
package. This was a conscious decision as much of `base` is quite tied
to GHC. There have been various attempts to split base up into packages
of finer granularity ([1] being the latest, as far as I know);
unfortunately they have all run into various practical issues.

Cheers,

- Ben


[1] https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-July/020390.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 472 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20141228/f8f05f24/attachment.sig>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Yitzchak Gale
>> There was at one point an intention of making the "base" package available
>> on Hackage, but at the moment you need the ghc source to get it.

So - the standard place to see the haddocks for base
isn't hackage anymore? Then, where?

Thanks,
Yitz

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Brandon Allbery
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> So - the standard place to see the haddocks for base
> isn't hackage anymore? Then, where?
>

I typically use http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/index.html
or https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/libraries/index.html
which afaik are the canonical locations.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20141228/1d1dbc55/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Yitzchak Gale
I wrote:
>> So - the standard place to see the haddocks for base
>> isn't hackage anymore? Then, where?

Brandon Allbery wrote:
> I typically use http://lambda.haskell.org/platform/doc/current/index.html or
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/libraries/index.html
> which afaik are the canonical locations.

The first links to the Haskell 2010 libraries. Those are interesting, but
I was referring to a working copy.

The second links to 7.8.3. You can also get to 7.8.4 on that site
if you poke around, but I don't see any obvious way to get the
haddocks for 7.10 there.

For me, the "canonical" place to find all haddocks is Hackage.
Won't it be inconvenient for users now to need two different bookmarks
in their browser, and to be forced to remember which packages
are bundled with GHC and which are not?

Even if base "lives in the GHC tree", can't base be uploaded to
hackage in a way that intentionally fails to install via cabal, with
an informative message? That way, at least the haddocks can be
available on hackage, and if we're lucky perhaps even the source.

Thanks,
Yitz

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Karl Voelker-2
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 09:47 AM, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Even if base "lives in the GHC tree", can't base be uploaded to
> hackage in a way that intentionally fails to install via cabal, with
> an informative message? That way, at least the haddocks can be
> available on hackage, and if we're lucky perhaps even the source.

It seems to me that it is already there:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base

It even has working source code links.

Maybe I am completely missing the point of this discussion?

-Karl

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Yitzchak Gale
Doug McIlroy wrote:
>>> Where can I find the full ghc prelude?
>>> In the local installation I was able to find only .hi files,
>>> not .hs.

I wrote:
>> Even if base "lives in the GHC tree", can't base be uploaded to
>> hackage in a way that intentionally fails to install via cabal, with
>> an informative message? That way, at least the haddocks can be
>> available on hackage, and if we're lucky perhaps even the source.

Karl Voelker wrote:
> It seems to me that it is already there:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base
> It even has working source code links.

Well, that does answer Doug's original question. For now,
if Doug is still using GHC 7.8.3. But the 7.10 series is
out now, and it seems from what Ben and Brandon are
saying that the practice of uploading GHC-bundled
libraries such as base to hackage has now ended.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Ben Gamari-2
Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> writes:

> Doug McIlroy wrote:
>>>> Where can I find the full ghc prelude?
>>>> In the local installation I was able to find only .hi files,
>>>> not .hs.
>
> I wrote:
>>> Even if base "lives in the GHC tree", can't base be uploaded to
>>> hackage in a way that intentionally fails to install via cabal, with
>>> an informative message? That way, at least the haddocks can be
>>> available on hackage, and if we're lucky perhaps even the source.
>
> Karl Voelker wrote:
>> It seems to me that it is already there:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base
>> It even has working source code links.
>
> Well, that does answer Doug's original question. For now,
> if Doug is still using GHC 7.8.3. But the 7.10 series is
> out now, and it seems from what Ben and Brandon are
> saying that the practice of uploading GHC-bundled
> libraries such as base to hackage has now ended.
>
Well, I didn't mean to impl that. I just meant that source-wise base is
certainly not a free-standing package (and hasn't been for some
time). Despite this, there is no reason (that I know of) why the
documentation couldn't be uploaded to Hackage.

Cheers,

- Ben

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 472 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20141228/3446af89/attachment.sig>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Antoine Latter-2
In reply to this post by Yitzchak Gale
I don't think GHC 7.10 is out yet:  https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download

Although that page doesn't have 7.8.4 on it.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20141228/48d4f166/attachment.html>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Yitzchak Gale
Yes, sorry, neither 7.8.4 nor 7.10.1 is actually out yet.
They are both release candidates, and will be out soon.

Thanks,
Yitz

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think GHC 7.10 is out yet:  https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download
>
> Although that page doesn't have 7.8.4 on it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ghc prelude home

Christian Maeder-2
23 December 2014
     GHC 7.8.4 Released!

https://www.haskell.org/ghc/

So 7.8.4 is out!

Only the download subpage https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download
is not updated yet.

Also
http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/
still refers to http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.8.3/
(and has a funny 7.8.4 subdirectory).

I send this also to glasgow-haskell-users to reach someone who can fix this.

Cheers Christian

Am 28.12.2014 um 22:28 schrieb Yitzchak Gale:

> Yes, sorry, neither 7.8.4 nor 7.10.1 is actually out yet.
> They are both release candidates, and will be out soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Yitz
>
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think GHC 7.10 is out yet:  https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download
>>
>> Although that page doesn't have 7.8.4 on it.
> _______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list
> Beginners at haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
>