ghcxxxx.exe in Local\Temp in Windows

Sumit Raja
Hi,

Running ghc 8.8.4 + cabal 3.2 on Windows. M365 malware scanner identified that ghcbdbc.exe in my temp directory was the Wacatac malware. I checked and there is a large number of these ghcxxxx.exe files in there. They look like build artefacts from cabal repl. The malware scanner process tree isĀ  cabal -> gcc -> realgcc -> collect2 with ld.exe being the exec that created it.

Admin is confident that Wacatac was removed or it was a false alarm but I need to provide some details on why this build artefact is created. Anyone know what these files are?

Thanks
Sumit