gitlab subject lines

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gitlab subject lines

Richard Eisenberg-5
Hi Ben,

Since the recent GitLab upgrade, all GitLab emails have "GHC | Glasgow Haskell Compiler | " prefixed to their subject lines. This reduces the bandwidth of information in my mail reader. Is there a way of going back to just "GHC |"?

Thanks! :)
Richard
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: gitlab subject lines

GHC - devs mailing list
A big +1 from me.  The "GHC" part is already uninformative, but adding "Glasgow Haskell Compiler" consumes _all_ the pixels on my laptop's message-list display, leaving no clue whatsoever about which ticket this is.

Thanks

Simon

|  -----Original Message-----
|  From: ghc-devs <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Richard
|  Eisenberg
|  Sent: 22 July 2019 18:29
|  To: Ben Gamari <[hidden email]>
|  Cc: Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>
|  Subject: gitlab subject lines
|  
|  Hi Ben,
|  
|  Since the recent GitLab upgrade, all GitLab emails have "GHC | Glasgow
|  Haskell Compiler | " prefixed to their subject lines. This reduces the
|  bandwidth of information in my mail reader. Is there a way of going back
|  to just "GHC |"?
|  
|  Thanks! :)
|  Richard
|  _______________________________________________
|  ghc-devs mailing list
|  [hidden email]
|  http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gitlab subject lines

Artem Pelenitsyn
Hey all,

Long uninformative prefixes are indeed a huge pain. If emails are something you GitLab masters are going to look at, I have one more suggestion. It would be nice if there was a way to tell email notifications about MRs from ones about issues. It was trivial before when we had Phab vs Trac. But now I can't find a way to make them go into different direvtories. It turns out, Gmail filters, for one, can't target individual symbols. like ! vs # (there is even an SE question about exactly telling apart Gitlab's emails https://webapps.stackexchange.com/q/52828/70750).

I also used to be subscribed for notifications about Trac Wiki. Is it possible to have those from the Gitlab Wiki? I understand wiki is mirrored from https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc-wiki-mirror but if you start watching it, it won't notify about regular commits to master, only about MRs/issues, but no one opens those on that repo.

--
Kind regards,
Artem


On Tue, Jul 23, 2019, 7:04 AM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:
A big +1 from me.  The "GHC" part is already uninformative, but adding "Glasgow Haskell Compiler" consumes _all_ the pixels on my laptop's message-list display, leaving no clue whatsoever about which ticket this is.

Thanks

Simon

|  -----Original Message-----
|  From: ghc-devs <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Richard
|  Eisenberg
|  Sent: 22 July 2019 18:29
|  To: Ben Gamari <[hidden email]>
|  Cc: Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>
|  Subject: gitlab subject lines

|  Hi Ben,

|  Since the recent GitLab upgrade, all GitLab emails have "GHC | Glasgow
|  Haskell Compiler | " prefixed to their subject lines. This reduces the
|  bandwidth of information in my mail reader. Is there a way of going back
|  to just "GHC |"?

|  Thanks! :)
|  Richard
|  _______________________________________________
|  ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gitlab subject lines

Ben Gamari-2
Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> Long uninformative prefixes are indeed a huge pain. If emails are something
> you GitLab masters are going to look at, I have one more suggestion. It
> would be nice if there was a way to tell email notifications about MRs from
> ones about issues. It was trivial before when we had Phab vs Trac. But now
> I can't find a way to make them go into different direvtories. It turns
> out, Gmail filters, for one, can't target individual symbols. like ! vs #
> (there is even an SE question about exactly telling apart Gitlab's emails
> https://webapps.stackexchange.com/q/52828/70750).
>
I don't know if this is possible with GMail filters but if you can
filter on arbitrary mail headers it definitely is possible to
make this distinction. GitLab notifications have a number of headers
(e.g. X-GitLab-Project, X-GitLab-MergeRequest-IID) which make this sort
of this quite simple.

> I also used to be subscribed for notifications about Trac Wiki. Is it
> possible to have those from the Gitlab Wiki? I understand wiki is mirrored
> from https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc-wiki-mirror but if you start
> watching it, it won't notify about regular commits to master, only about
> MRs/issues, but no one opens those on that repo.
>
Hmm. Yes, commit notifications would be helpful.
There is an "email on push" notifier integration [1], but it appears to
only support sending to a fixed set of addresses. We would need to setup
a mailing list to use it for Wiki notifications.

Cheers,

- Ben


[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/integrations/emails_on_push.html 


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gitlab subject lines

Ben Gamari-2
In reply to this post by Richard Eisenberg-5
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Since the recent GitLab upgrade, all GitLab emails have "GHC | Glasgow
> Haskell Compiler | " prefixed to their subject lines. This reduces the
> bandwidth of information in my mail reader. Is there a way of going
> back to just "GHC |"?
>
Yes, I also noticed this. Despite the progress [1] made in convincing
GitLab upstream to allow number-centric titles it seems that titles just
keep getting longer.

I suppose I can try to sort out which commit caused the regression and
revert it locally.

Cheers,

- Ben


[1] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/21712

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment