gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

david.mihola
Hello,

for a few months now I have been using xmonad (0.11, on Ubuntu) and both Android Studio and Chromium and everything worked very well. Yesterday I noticed that Chromium started to repeatedly lose the keyboard input (more specifically I cannot enter text in the search bar while I still can enter text in the web page itself, also most keyboard shortcuts are not working).

Some research suggested that I need to use the ewmh-emulation, and indeed this fixed Chromium. But it also broke Android Studio which is now just a grey rectangle (except for its popup windows, which are working fine). Also, to get Android Studio to work at all I had to use setWMName "LG3D".

I have attached my xmonad.hs file. Note that my config is based on gnomeConfig, which is based on desktopConfig which in turn is an ewhm'ed version of defaultConfig, right? So, why does it even make a difference whether I apply ewmh in the end at all? And more importantly, is there any way to get all components to work together properly?

Thanks for any help!

xmonad.hs (10K) Download Attachment

Re: gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

Brandon Allbery
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM, David Mihola <[hidden email]> wrote:
have attached my xmonad.hs file. Note that my config is based on gnomeConfig,

You are overriding logHook instead of appending to it (compare the logHook in myGnomeWithXmobarConfig with your startupHook and handleEventHook). Since 90% of what ewmh does is in logHook, you've effectively disabled ewmh.

Re: gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

Dave Macias
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20446348/xmonad-toggle-fullscreen-xmobar

This has some really cool tips. Helped me understand more what my xmonad.hs file is doing.

Dave

Sent from Mailbox

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM, David Mihola <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<mailbox-attach src="mailbox://attachment_download/A5FFFA38-7BDE-4AD9-92D2-F200612704B2/EA5FFFA38-7BDE-4AD9-92D2-F200612704B2_1503706440845790512/2" filename="xmonad.hs" mime="text/x-haskell" size="8180"><xmonad.hs>

Re: gnomeConfig, ewmh & LG3D: I cannot use both Android Studio and Chromium

david.mihola
Brandon, of course, that was the problem - I have now used the PC for a whole workday without any issues! Thank you very much!

Dave, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that question yet.

Best wishes,
David