guidance for using timeout_multiplier?

Nicolas Frisby
On my Mac, some tests time out (as "unexpected") during my validation runs.
hClose002(ghci) is a reproducible example for me. When I do a --slow run,
this ends up taking a lot of time with the default timeout of 300 seconds.

Is it sensible for me to add the timeout_multiplier setup function in the
respective all.T files if I can reproduce the time out? It looks like 3
seconds ought to be fine for the ones I've investigated so far, so I was
thinking of passing 0.01.

Thoughts? Thanks.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

guidance for using timeout_multiplier?

Ian Lynagh-2
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 03:38:13PM -0500, Nicolas Frisby wrote:

> Is it sensible for me to add the timeout_multiplier setup function in the
> respective all.T files if I can reproduce the time out? It looks like 3
> seconds ought to be fine for the ones I've investigated so far, so I was
> thinking of passing 0.01.

timeout_multiplier should only be use to make timeouts longer, not
shorter. Otherwise, on slow platforms, tests will timeout even when they
would otherwise pass.

If slow tests are a problem, and fixing them isn't an option, then I'd
suggest making a skip_broken helper (similar to expect_broken, except it
skips the test rather than expecting the wrong result) and marking them
something like
    when(opsys('darwin'), skip_broken(nnn))
It's important to use a skip_broken rather than just skip, to ensure
that a ticket is filed and the test is linked to it.

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant