guitar tuner alike

Bernhard Lehnert
Hi,

would there, by any chance, be something like a simple and well
documented way to read sound from a microphone on the soundcard and
perform a fft or sth. to find the pitch of a sound?

There is a whole lot of so called "guitar tuner" progs doing that, but
any simple to use library for haskell? (Preferebly available on Windows,
too.)
Looking through hackage it seems to me that there is a wealth of libs
for sound and music synthesis but not so much for sound analysis. Good
online reading advice on the topic (be it haskell or not) would also be
greatly appreciated (maybe some handbook for the dsp package?).

Thanks,
Bernhard

guitar tuner alike

jfredett
I don't know of any such libs on hackage, but I think your best bet
would be to find a C library which does what you want, then write an FFI
binding to it. Not only will you get the functionality you want, but you
could contribute a binding-library to hackage which would be _way
awesome_. You can find resources about FFI in Real World Haskell (google
it, the book is available free online), and of course Hoogle will be
helpful.

/Joe

Bernhard Lehnert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would there, by any chance, be something like a simple and well
> documented way to read sound from a microphone on the soundcard and
> perform a fft or sth. to find the pitch of a sound?
>
> There is a whole lot of so called "guitar tuner" progs doing that, but
> any simple to use library for haskell? (Preferebly available on Windows,
> too.)
> Looking through hackage it seems to me that there is a wealth of libs
> for sound and music synthesis but not so much for sound analysis. Good
> online reading advice on the topic (be it haskell or not) would also be
> greatly appreciated (maybe some handbook for the dsp package?).
>
> Thanks,
> Bernhard

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: jfredett.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Size: 296 bytes
Desc: not available

guitar tuner alike

Brent Yorgey-2
I'd suggest forwarding your question to the haskell-art mailing list [1].

-Brent