hackage library info

kioto mitsubisi
Hi,

I want to ask a question about hackage which contains additional libraries to Haskell. Is there a mechanism that will help developer to choose a library among the others?
I mean, there are several packages that may do the same thing in hackage and to choose one among the others, developer may want to have more information about the library such as other developers' ratings and comments, activity of development of the library, etc so that one can choose the better alternative. Is there a mechanism for that or is there a plan to add these to the hackage?

Thanks

Re: hackage library info

Stephen Tetley-2
Hi

There have been plans to add rankings to Hackage and a GSOC looked
into adding them.

Roel van Dijk built reverse dependencies for Hackage which illustrated
the most popular libraries, unfortunately the link seems broken:

http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/hackage/packages/hackage.html

Of course, the best library for "you" is the one that does more of
want you need in a way that you like the most. Social proof might not
always help for this...

Best regards

Stephen

Re: hackage library info

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 20.09.2011, 22:07 +0100 schrieb Stephen Tetley:
> There have been plans to add rankings to Hackage and a GSOC looked
> into adding them.
>
> Roel van Dijk built reverse dependencies for Hackage which illustrated
> the most popular libraries, unfortunately the link seems broken:
>
> http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/hackage/packages/hackage.html

If you just need to look up the reverse dependencies (which is
important, e.g., for distribution packagers before upgrading a library),
there is also http://packdeps.haskellers.com/reverse

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  [hidden email]  |  [hidden email]  |  GPG: 0x4743206C

Re: hackage library info

Issac Trotts

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 20.09.2011, 22:07 +0100 schrieb Stephen Tetley:
> There have been plans to add rankings to Hackage and a GSOC looked
> into adding them.
>
> Roel van Dijk built reverse dependencies for Hackage which illustrated
> the most popular libraries, unfortunately the link seems broken:
>
> http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/hackage/packages/hackage.html

If you just need to look up the reverse dependencies (which is
important, e.g., for distribution packagers before upgrading a library),
there is also http://packdeps.haskellers.com/reverse

That's useful. Is there a way to see which packages do the depending?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
 [hidden email]  |  [hidden email]  |  GPG: 0x4743206C
 xmpp: [hidden email] | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: hackage library info

Roel van Dijk-3
Unfortunately the bifunctor.homelinux.net domain stopped working. The
reverse dependencies can now be found at:

http://revdeps.hackage.haskell.org/

The reverse dependency algorithm needs some love. Some packages have
-1 reverse dependencies, which is somewhat strange.

Re: hackage library info

Bas van Dijk-2
On 20 September 2011 23:07, Stephen Tetley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Roel van Dijk built reverse dependencies for Hackage which illustrated
> the most popular libraries, unfortunately the link seems broken:
>
> http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/hackage/packages/hackage.html

The new URL is:

http://revdeps.hackage.haskell.org

We still have to announce it officially. However we would like to fix
some minor bugs first.

Regards,

Bas