hackage style

Ben Franksen
The new hackage style has nice colors but severe problems w.r.t.
readability. The right column with the package meta data causes the
Readme text to be cut off. This make it almost impossible to read it. I
attached a screenshot for illustration.

Cheers
Ben

Bildschirmfoto_2018-04-11_00-52-17.png (192K) Download Attachment

Re: hackage style

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 11 April 2018 at 08:54, Ben Franksen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The new hackage style has nice colors but severe problems w.r.t.
> readability. The right column with the package meta data causes the
> Readme text to be cut off. This make it almost impossible to read it. I
> attached a screenshot for illustration.

It can also be difficult to read through long module names, e.g.
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/distributed-process

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: hackage style

Gershom Bazerman
The problem with that particular README is that it is a text file. Nearly all the readme files these days are in markdown, which wraps. For text files, we do something very basic and render in a <pre> block, which does not wrap.

To improve display of such readme files I see three options. A) use a smaller font only for pre blocks, so that more text fits, without rewrapping. B) allow text files to rewrap. C) force the content _only_ for such files to always be below a clear, and as such, below the entire properties table. I’m leaning towards A here at the moment. Thoughts?

-g

On April 10, 2018 at 6:56:47 PM, Ben Franksen ([hidden email]) wrote:

The new hackage style has nice colors but severe problems w.r.t.
readability. The right column with the package meta data causes the
Readme text to be cut off. This make it almost impossible to read it. I
attached a screenshot for illustration.

Cheers
Ben

Re: hackage style

Alexey Raga
World treating text tiles as markdowns (or even converting them to markdowns) be an option?
I really don't like the idea of small/different font sizes...

Regards,
Alexey

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I took a look and the smaller font doesn’t help enough anyway. But note that it is a “different style” regardless in that it is in a <pre> block to preserve provided formatting (with regards to whitespace, etc).

i think the simplest thing is to give it a “pre-wrap” whitespace style which keeps the whitespace rather than collapsing, but allows lines to wrap. Things get a little ragged, but they fit without scrolling…

In general we can’t assume arbitrary text files will convert nicely to markdown.

—g

Am 11.04.2018 um 03:43 schrieb Ivan Lazar Miljenovic:
> On 11 April 2018 at 08:54, Ben Franksen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The new hackage style has nice colors but severe problems w.r.t.
>> readability. The right column with the package meta data causes the
>> Readme text to be cut off. This make it almost impossible to read it. I
>> attached a screenshot for illustration.
>
> It can also be difficult to read through long module names, e.g.
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/distributed-process

Is there a bug tracker for hackage where one can make suggestions to
improve the UI?

Cheers
Ben

Re: hackage style

Sven Panne-2
[...] I’m leaning towards A here at the moment. Thoughts?

+1 for that. In addition, I think that the 40% width of the right column (the "properties" div) is a bit excessive, 25% looks better IMHO. The left column ("description", "modules", "flags", ... divs) is probably more interesting for the average user, so it deserves more screen space.

Re: hackage style

Alexander Kjeldaas

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM, Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem with that particular README is that it is a text file. Nearly all the readme files these days are in markdown, which wraps. For text files, we do something very basic and render in a <pre> block, which does not wrap.

To improve display of such readme files I see three options. A) use a smaller font only for pre blocks, so that more text fits, without rewrapping. B) allow text files to rewrap. C) force the content _only_ for such files to always be below a clear, and as such, below the entire properties table. I’m leaning towards A here at the moment. Thoughts?

I'd go with C, and an explicit note (in red or similar) that the package includes a fixed-width readme.  I'd also throw in a link to the issue tracker so people can easily file a bug if this is in fact an error.

Alexander

Re: hackage style

Ben Franksen
Am 11.04.2018 um 09:25 schrieb Sven Panne:

>> [...] I’m leaning towards A here at the moment. Thoughts?

Not sure what this refers to, but...

> +1 for that. In addition, I think that the 40% width of the right column
> (the "properties" div) is a bit excessive, 25% looks better IMHO. The left
> column ("description", "modules", "flags", ... divs) is probably more
> interesting for the average user, so it deserves more screen space.

Yes. It should also use all of the available horizontal space.

Cheers
Ben

Re: hackage style

Sven Panne-2
[...] It should also use all of the available horizontal space.

That's a good point, too. Currently it only uses 75% of the viewport (75vw in the "content" div), perhaps 90% (or even 94%) would be quite an improvement. Changing the font size for the preformatted content from 17px to e.g. 14px makes things fit for my screen and doesn't screw up things too much typographically IMHO. pre-wrap is useful as a fallback. So in a nutshell:

   "properties": change from 40% to 25%
   "content": change from 75vw to 90vw
   pre within "embedded-author-content": change font-size from 17px to 14px, and add white-space: pre-wrap

Re: hackage style

Francesco Ariis
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 09:22:47AM +0200, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Is there a bug tracker for hackage where one can make suggestions to
> improve the UI?

https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/741

The points made in this thread:
  - non markdown readmes (like [1])
  - very-long-module-names (like [2])
  - (maybe) some whitespace on the sidebars could be trimmer

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/animascii
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/distributed-process

I am putting Nuno Alexandre (who did an excellent job on the redesign!)
in CC:, as I am pretty sure he's not subscribed to -cafe
-F

Re: hackage style

Joachim Durchholz
Am 11.04.2018 um 08:05 schrieb Gershom B:
> The problem with that particular README is that it is a text file.
> Nearly all the readme files these days are in markdown, which wraps. For
> text files, we do something very basic and render in a <pre> block,
> which does not wrap.
> To improve display of such readme files I see three options. A) use a
> smaller font only for pre blocks, so that more text fits, without
> rewrapping.

Not enough space for that.

> B) allow text files to rewrap.
If you throw in replacing start-of-line blanks with &nbsp; this even
preserves indentation. Also, use a fixed-width font.
It's going to look ugly though.

> C) force the content _only_ for such files to always be below a
> clear, and as such, below the entire properties table.

This is going to be horrible. Site visitors will find the same
information in different places, depending on something that they don't
know before they visit the page.

Let me add a few more options:

D) Redesign the page so that the README always takes up the full width.
E) Redesign the sidebar so that it is narrower. This sidebar is way too
wide, you almost have a two-column layout here.
F) Move the sidebar content into its own full-width section.
G) Look at how GitHub, GitLab, etc. place this kind of information,
steal the best layout ideas from there.

H) Move the sidebar information into a mouse-over flyout. (Not sure
whether that's a good idea.)

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jo