haskell-ide repository name

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
At the moment the repository/project is called haskell-ide

This leads to the impression that it is an IDE.

It is actually a backend/server to provide services for an IDE

We are considering changing the name.

The options are

  haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine

Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105

Thanks
  Alan

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Tillmann Rendel-6
Hi,

Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
> The options are
>
>    haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine
>
> Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105

ghc-service.

Reasoning: If I understand correctly, this package provides ghc as a
service to other processes. I expect that this service could be useful
for non-IDEs. For example, I guess a hs-to-html tool could use this to
hyperlink identifiers to their binding sites, but such a tool is not an IDE.

   Tillmann

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 28 October 2015 at 11:05, Tillmann Rendel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>> The options are
>>
>>    haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine
>>
>> Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105
>

> ghc-service.
>
> Reasoning: If I understand correctly, this package provides ghc as a service
> to other processes. I expect that this service could be useful for non-IDEs.
> For example, I guess a hs-to-html tool could use this to hyperlink
> identifiers to their binding sites, but such a tool is not an IDE.

+1

Or you could expand it out a bit and get GHC-as-a-Service, or GaaS ;-)

Is this envisaged to be just a daemon/service, or also a library that
can be used (e.g. a nicer abstraction over trying to use GHC's
internals to parse Haskell code, etc.)?

>   Tillmann

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Simon  Thompson
+1

> On 28 Oct 2015, at 00:05, Tillmann Rendel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
>> The options are
>>
>>   haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine
>>
>> Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105
>
> ghc-service.
>
> Reasoning: If I understand correctly, this package provides ghc as a service to other processes. I expect that this service could be useful for non-IDEs. For example, I guess a hs-to-html tool could use this to hyperlink identifiers to their binding sites, but such a tool is not an IDE.
>
>  Tillmann

Simon Thompson | Professor of Logic and Computation
School of Computing | University of Kent | Canterbury, CT2 7NF, UK
[hidden email] | M +44 7986 085754 | W www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Alexander Berntsen

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
This post generated some discussion on the mailing list(s) [1],[2] and on reddit [3].

The straw poll [4] garnered (as of time of writing this mail) 138 votes, broken down as

ghc-ide-engine   56 votes 41%
ghc-ide-service   43 votes 31%
haskides             19 votes 14%
ghc-ide-daemon 16 votes 12%
something else     4 votes  3%

So it seems -ide-engine is the favourite

In a bait-and-switch operation, I think it makes sense to keep the current "haskell-ide" prefix, and so rename it to

   haskell-ide-engine

This has the advantages of

  a) The prefix is the same, so continuity is slightly better

  b) It does not mentally shut out any tooling constructed using other compilers/techniques, such as haskell-src-exts

If anyone feels strongly that this is wrong, please let me know.

Regards
  Alan

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Alan & Kim Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
At the moment the repository/project is called haskell-ide

This leads to the impression that it is an IDE.

It is actually a backend/server to provide services for an IDE

We are considering changing the name.

The options are

  haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine

Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105

Thanks
  Alan

Re: haskell-ide repository name

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
Ok the repository and IRC channel have both been changed to haskell-ide-engine.

The timing is driven by wanting to get an accurate HCAR entry for the project.

Regards
  Alan