haskell-in-a-box?

Assini, Pasqualino

Hello,

you are probably all aware of the recent brouhaha relative to
virtualisation, that is to say the possibility of running multiple
operating systems in parallel on the same PC (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualisation).

This opens all kind of interesting possibilities, in particular for
software distribution.

Rather then having to worry about creating and maintaining different
versions of a program for Windows + the infinite variations of
Linux/Unix one could simply distribute a stand-alone virtual machine
including the kernel of the OS of choice plus the application (this
naturally only applies to applications with a network interface, e.g.
web-based applications).

This would have significant advantages in terms of ease of installation,
safety, manageability and possibly also efficiency of execution as the
underlying OS could be fine-tuned to support the application in an
optimal way.

This new trend might also be good news for Haskell as, coupled with a
free OS with a small footprint, it might be used to create network
applications that are both powerful and easy-to-install and manage.

Since the question: what is the smallest X86 OS core on top of which one
might compile Haskell (and I am mainly thinking of GHC Haskell here)
programs?

And: has anyone already built a 'haskell-in-a-box' virtual machine?

Regards,

     titto

Re: haskell-in-a-box?

Jared Updike
> And: has anyone already built a 'haskell-in-a-box' virtual machine?

Some are working on an all-Haskell-boots-from-scratch OS:
House (Haskell User's Operating System and Environment):

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/

>From the page: "House  is a demo of software written in Haskell,
running in a standalone environment. It is a system than can serve as
a platform for exploring various ideas relating to low-level and
system-level programming in a high-level functional language. More
details are available in our ICFP 2005 paper: A Principled Approach to
Operating System Construction in Haskell."

Also, YHC is (in development) a new Haskell compiler based on nhc98
that aims to produce highly portable bytecode which can then be ported
to JVM, .NET, etc. and of course a C virtual machine:

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/

  Jared.

--
http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"

RE: haskell-in-a-box?

Assini, Pasqualino
Very cool.

Has anyone experience of using House?

If it is reliable and it supports enough of the GHC libraries to run the
Haskell Web Server
(http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/haskell/WASH/#wsp) we
are in business :-)

     titto

-------------------------
Pasqualino "Titto" Assini
E-mail: [hidden email]
Skype: tittoassini
> > Since the question: what is the smallest X86 OS core on top of which
one

> > might compile Haskell (and I am mainly thinking of GHC Haskell here)
> > programs?
> >
> > And: has anyone already built a 'haskell-in-a-box' virtual machine?
>
>     You might be interested in "House"...
>
>     http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/
>
> Greg Buchholz

RE: haskell-in-a-box?

Assini, Pasqualino
Many thanks for the links.

Has anyone tried to squeeze House in a VMWare or XEN virtual machine?

Best,

     titto

Pasqualino "Titto" Assini
E-mail: [hidden email]